Old 05-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Kitchen exhaust fan patch

8038 came with the standard 120v kitchen exhaust fan. I have removed the whole assembly and will not reinstall it, so I need an exterior sidewall patch to cover the hole where the fan unit used to be.

Tools:
[To create the patch, see here.]
Hand-held electric drill
Clamps to hold patch on work area for marking and drilling
Clecos and cleco pliers
Polishing materials, buffer, and cyclo

Techniques.

I wanted to make the patch slightly larger than the exterior faceplate of the fan, and I wanted to drill new rivet holes, so I made a paper template (the size of the slightly larger patch) and mounted it with painter tape over the area where the exterior faceplate of the fan had been. From the inside of the trailer (the interior walls have been removed), I used a nail to push through the paper template to mark where the original rivet holes were. I placed the template over the patch (still covered in plastic film), and I marked on the plastic the locations of the original rivet holes (because I wanted to avoid them in drilling new rivet holes)

Next, I used a Sharpie to mark on the plastic where the rivet line should be relative to the edge of the patch. Aerowood (my go-to guy for all things rivet related) recommends that the rivets be 2 to 4 rivet diameters back from the edge. As I am using 1/8" diameter rivets, I used 3/8" as the setback. As to spacing between rivets, he recommends 6 to 8 diameters between rivets, and I ended up with spacing of about 1" apart. With a Sharpie, I marked the 3/8" line, and then I marked where the new rivet holes should be on that line. Then I drilled the rivet holes using a 1/8" drill bit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3518.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	262340

In the image above, you can see that I generally use metric measurements. I find metric measurements much easier to manage as compared to fractions of an inch.

I placed the patch on the sidewall of the trailer and positioned it according to my markings on the blue tape. Using the rivet holes in the patch as pilot holes, I drilled through the skin of the trailer. I started drilling at the top of the patch in a corner and inserted a cleco in that first hole. After aligning the patch with a level, I drilled and clecoed across the top of the patch. With the top anchored, I then worked from top to bottom along the two sides of the patch and drilled the rest of the holes. I switched from side to side in drilling and clecoing.

Name:	DSCN3521.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	262341

I then went inside 8038 to clean up the black tar on the inside of the exterior sidewall. I do not want any of that tar interfering with a good set of the rivet, so I used the same multi-tool scraper and an electric drill with a wire brush that I used here.

Name:	DSCN3523.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	262342

Before I re-clecoed the patch, I polished and cycloed around the edges of the new patch.

I think the patch is ready for riveting.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Bumper trunk, part 1

I decided to add an enclosed bumper trunk between the main frame rails and between the rear wall of 8038 and the bumper. My disadvantage is that my bumper has been cut off (so that it can be extended away from the body an additional 6").

Tools & materials.
Sheet aluminum
Aluminum angle
Air shears
Tin snips
Belt sander
Self-drilling #10 pan-head sheet metal screws
Clecos
Electric drill with 5/32" drill bit

The plan. Here is the overall plan:
1. The trunk is to be 4" deep (the same as the main frame rails).
2. The trunk will extend (side to side) between the main frame rails and extend (front to back) between the last cross-member of the frame and the bumper (as extended an additional 6") .
3. The top of the trunk will involve a piano-hinged lid that will attach to a piece of sheet aluminum that will also bend up under the sidewall of the coach and serve as flashing to keep out water.

There is an image of a bumper trunk here, and that is the model for my efforts.

First, I cut a piece of aluminum angle to serve as the corner where the forward wall sheet piece joins the bottom sheet piece. This angle will fit between the frame rails. Next, I cut from a piece of sheet aluminum the forward wall piece, which also fits within the frame rails. I then drilled four 5/32" holes along the top of the forward wall piece, and then clamped that piece against the rearmost cross-member and marked the locations for the 4 holes through the cross-member. I removed the forward wall piece and used my 120 volt drill with the self-drilling machine screws to make the 4 holes in the cross-member.

I calculated the dimensions for the piece of sheet aluminum that will be the bottom of the trunk (again adjusting for the additional 6" length to the frame rails). I made the bottom as wide as the exterior sides of the frame rails, so the bottom piece is about 4" wider than the forward wall and angle.

I drilled and clecoed together the forward wall piece, the angle, and the bottom, and then I mounted all that in place:

Name:	VSCN3543.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	262934

So far, everything seems okay, but I need to get the bumper welded on, and then I will know if all is well.

Another post will describe how I made the flashing piece.

Hank

Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Bumper trunk, part 2

The lid to the bumper trunk will be riveted to a piano hinge that is riveted to a piece of sheet aluminum that will bend up and go under the sidewall to serve as flashing to keep out water. That sounds straightforward, but Airstreams have lots of curves that create challenges.

Tools & materials.
Sheet aluminum
Air shears
Tin snips
Electric drill
Bending brake (I made my own, but I doubt it was a good way to bend the sheet aluminum)

What I did. This task was going to require me to do sheet metal work that I never had done, so I decided to start with a piece of badly worn belly pan sheet aluminum. Based on the first image in this post, I estimated the size of the piece of sheet aluminum I would need. The piece was slightly longer than 60" and approximately 4" wide (wide enough for the vertical flashing portion and the horizontal portion for rivet attaching the piano hinge).

Because of the 60" length, I could not use my 30" Harbor Freight bending break, so I placed some steel angle on the edge of my bench and clamped the 60" x 4" piece on top of the angle. I doubt that this was a good way to bend the piece, but I used a dead-blow hammer to gradually bend the piece of aluminum over the steel angle.

Name:	DSCN3526.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	262952

I made triangular-shaped cutouts on both portions (horizontal and vertical) of the flashing piece. The cuts make it easier to get the piece to form to the curves of 8038. Be careful in bending the two ends of the horizontal part of the flashing piece to make it conform to the curves of the sidewalls because the aluminum wants to split at the apex of the triangular cuts. I removed enough sidewall clecos to test fit the piece:

Name:	DSCN3530.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	262950

Because of the curve of the horizontal portion of the flashing piece, I will need to make (and rivet on top of the flashing piece) a flat piece of sheet aluminum that is cut at a curve to follow the curvature of the sidewall. Here is an example of a template:

Name:	DSCN3533.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	262951

After the bumper is re-welded to the frame rails, I will see if I can make all of this fit together properly.

Hank
Old 05-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Reconfigure baggage hatch door?

My curbside baggage compartment has the old "J" hinge, and the hinge is at the top, which makes using the hatch difficult (unless some device holds up the hatch door to permit easy access inside the compartment).

I am considering reconfiguring the hatch by removing the "J" hinge and installing a piano hinge along the front-of-the-trailer side of the hatch door. I already removed the portion of the "J" hinge that was attached to the top of the hatch door.

Name:	DSCN3553[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	263010

Here is why I am considering this change:
1. That side of the hatch door is beat up, and the piano hinge would cover part of the bad metal.
2. I like the idea of a hatch door that swings out of the way to permit access to the compartment.
3. I can cover up the lock/latch hole in the bottom center of the door with a new piece of sheet aluminum on which I will mount the airstream logo (the existing rivet holes in the door were used to attach the logo).
4. I can make a new hole, etc., for the lock on the side opposite from the piano hinge.

I know that I will have to come up with some way to restrain the door from swinging around and damaging the side of the trailer, and some kind of cable should do that.

Does anyone see a problem with changing to a side hinge?

Thanks. Hank
Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I just realized that the baggage hatch door originally was hinged at the bottom, not the top, as I said in my prior post.

Hank
Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Baggage hatch hinge task finished for now

There was some discussion about this subject here.

I used the McMaster Carr #1581A921 aluminum piano hinge.

To help distribute the load of the hinge, I added a piece of c channel behind the side of the hatch with the hinge. The hinge rivets will pass through the hinge, the hatch frame, the sidewall, and the c channel.

I cut the c channel so that I could pop rivet a tab at the top of the c channel to the cross-stringer above, and I also pop riveted to the original c channel to the left in this image:

Name:	DSCN3559.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	263147

Aligning and drilling the hinge (to the hatch frame and to the door) were a pain. I started by drilling the holes for the leg of the hinge that attaches to the hatch frame. I tried to avoid having a rivet in one of the legs of the hinge directly opposite a rivet in the other leg of the hinge. I was not sure how the hinge would operate if rivet heads on the opposite legs ran into each other when the hinge closed back on itself.

Make sure that you have the hinge pin aligned with the frame of the hatch (or the door, if you start with the door). When I clamped the hinge to the frame (to drill the holes in that leg of the hinge), I was not careful, and the hinge was a little off line. I did not discover that until after I drilled the holes. I am nervous about how the door will swing with an offline hinge.

It was another big pain to drill the holes in the door for the other leg of the hinge. No matter how I set it up, the clecos (holding the hatch frame leg of the hinge to the frame) always were in the way and I could not get the door leg of the hinge to lie flat on the door so that I could mark (and then drill) the holes in the door. I ended up removing the clecos and taping the hatch frame leg of the hinge in the correct place on the side of the hatch frame. I also used spacers that I taped to the inside walls of the hatch frame to place the door in the correct position within the hatch frame:

Name:	DSCN3561.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	263148

When I thought everything was in the correct place, I marked and drilled the holes for the rivets through the door. I clecoed everything together, but the clecos prevent a full closure of the door into the hatch frame, so I will not know if my new baggage hatch door works properly until I buck the rivets.

Hank
Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #133
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Roof patch

8038 came with a huge air conditioner and an equally huge mounting plate on the roof.

Name:	DSCN0163.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	263285

Name:	DSCN3512.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	263282
I do not intend to install another A/C because 8038 will stay (as long as I own her) in the northern Rocky Mountains, so I need to patch the roof. Look at all the holes left behind:

Name:	DSCN3574.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	263283
I measured to make the patch slightly larger than the footprint of the mounting plate and cut the patch using the same tools and techniques as here.

To locate the patch inline, I measured off of the roof seam with the adjacent piece of sheet aluminum. I applied painter tape and marked with a Sharpie on the tape. I then started drilling (using the previously drilled holes in the patch as pilot holes to drill through the roof metal).

Name:	DSCN3579.jpg
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	263284
Hank
Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #134
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Bumper back on

The rear bumper now is reattached to 8038 after a several-year separation. I made a floor jack cradle for the bumper, and it worked well in keeping the bumper parallel to the ground and the correct distance from the rear of the trailer so that the bumper would be correctly positioned for welding (and for the bumper trunk).

Name:	DSCN3588.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	263685
The extended bumper required a reworking of the support to the stairs leading to the garage attic storage area:

Name:	DSCN3587.jpg
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	263686

I painted the bumper and the extension pieces with POR-15 this afternoon, and tomorrow I will top coat with a silver color. Then I will see if I can make the bumper trunk fit together.

Hank
Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Lovettsville , Virginia
It's funny how one project will spill over and create additional projects that have to be done before you can continue. I've been really impressed with your work and am learning a lot from your posts. Thanks for the help and info for when I get started on my rehab!

Keep up the excellent work! It looks great!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #136
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Bumper trunk

Although I have not posted recently, I have been working on 8038.

The bumper trunk now is attached to the bumper and the rearmost cross member of the frame. The tricky part was trapping the piece of belly pan metal between the rearmost cross member of the frame and the front wall of the bumper trunk.

Belly pan metal. First, I measured and made a cardboard template to fit the belly pan metal between the main frame rails (at the rear end of 8038) and to widen to overlap the main fame rails when the metal dropped low enough:

Name:	DSCN3629.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	265063

I then cut (from a piece of the original belly pan) the piece. The metal is in bad shape, but that piece (in the center section of the belly) is not likely to be seen by anyone.

Bending. Next, I bent the piece of metal to make the 90 degree turn from vertical to horizontal. I should not have used my Sharpie all the way across he metal, but I doubt that anyone will see those markings until the next rehab of 8038.

Name:	DSCN3632.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	265064

This post describes my bending brake.

I added an air vent so that the belly pan area can breathe (to dry out from any moisture that might get in there).

Dry fitting. Dry fitting everything was not easy because the piece of belly pan metal (which was not then attached to the frame) did not want to stay in place, and I ended up using long woodworking clamps to hold it. One end of the clamp held the metal against the last cross member, and the other end of the clamp held the metal against the next-to-last cross member. With the piece of metal secured, I drilled some holes and inserted some clecos so that I could remove the clamps and install the bumper trunk box.

I then fitted in the bumper trunk, did some fine tuning with my grinder, and FINALLY installed the bumper trunk (after adding Trempro to the back wall of the bumper trunk where it contacts the rearmost piece of belly pan metal). Getting everything to fit involved a fair bit of trial and error, but eventually, I had everything in place:

Name:	DSCN3636.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	265062

Name:	DSCN3634.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	265061

Hinged top. I will install the bumper trunk hinged top after I replace the sidewall panel underneath the rear window, and that replacement will be soon, I hope, as I have the panel ready for installation.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
%$!#* nameplate

I decided to rehab the Airstream nameplate (that will go onto the door of the rear baggage hatch).

I stripped the old paint off using Citristrip:

Name:	DSCN3610.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	265069

I then polished the entire plate so that the "Airstream" letters would be shiny. Next I taped over each of the Airstream letters and carefully cut around them:
First by marking each edge with a plastic razor blade
Then by cutting off excess tape with an Exacto knife.

Name:	DSCN3602.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	265071

Name:	DSCN3603.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	265072

I brushed on a self-etching primer from POR, but I was not happy with it. The paint was too thick, and the brush strokes did not level out, so I had to do some sanding after it dried.

Valspar High Gloss Enamel in Ford Blue is the paint I chose. I applied two light coats and then a flood coat (all within 3 hours):

Name:	DSCN3605.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	265073

I was not happy with several of the borders, so I retaped those borders. I checked the can, which said not to apply another coat within 36 hours or the paint may crinkle. I waited 48 hours, and this is what happened:

Name:	DSCN3609.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	265070

ARGH! I have to start over: strip, tape, cut, prime, and final coats. I cannot tell you how many hours I wasted. I was so discouraged, I have yet not gone back to finish the nameplate.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I had heard Murphy was in Dallas enforcing his "Law" . . . what a bummer.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #139
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Follow-up on windows

I have been busy on other things, and grandchildren have been visiting, so I have not been able to do much on 8038.

I had one swinging window frame that had been bent, and when I rebuilt the window and installed new glass, there was a big gap between the window gasket and the frame of the swinging window. I decided to add a row of solid-shank rivets to tighten up the fit:

Name:	DSCN3572.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	267739

The new rivets reduced the gap, but I still may have enough of a gap to have a leak. Time will tell.

Hank
Old 07-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Baggage hatch door

8038 came with a baggage hatch on the curbside, and it was pretty beat up. I decided to change the hinge from a bottom hinge to a side hinge (see here).

I cleaned up the metal to the door, but the panel did not look good, and I was going to have to install rivets where the Airstream nameplate had been (I am moving the nameplate to the new baggage hatch under the rear window):

Name:	DSCN3567.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	267740

I decided to cover the door with another piece of sheet aluminum. Because the replacement piece came off a roll, I have to apply a lot of clamps to get it flat for drilling:

Name:	DSCN3568.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	267741

Name:	DSCN3571.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	267742

I drilled the hinge for riveting, using countersunk flat-head rivets to attach the hinge to the hatch frame and raised-head rivets to attach the hinge to the door:

Name:	DSCN3638.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	267743

With a bucking bar partner, we then riveted the hinge to the door and then riveted the door and hinge to the hatch frame (that previously was riveted to 8038):

Name:	DSCN3643.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	267744

As I feared (see here), the hatch door binds/rubs against the top of the frame assembly. I can close the door, but it involves some encouragement to the door. I plan to live with the binding.

Next, I (1) installed a new hatch lock, (2) insulated the hatch door, and (3) installed the back panel of the door. To not aggravate my binding problem, I had to change the back panel from fitting on top of the top of the door to fitting underneath the top of the door.

Hank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3644.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	267745