Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
condensation

I was reading the owners manual for my 2008 23 safari which I will be picking up in Dec. and It has a lot about condensation in the trailer. Has anyone had a problem with this? The manual says to leave the closet doors open to prevent the problem. It seems for the cost of the airstream I should be able to keep the closets and cabinets closed. Rob

Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Well, I am not an expert... but to me an airstream is like a beer can... change the indoor and outdoor temperature and condensation occurs. A fan or a couple of slightly open windows can help air move through. Lots of threads on this topic... everyone has this concern! There are lots of items on the market to help curb the problem. Just go out and go camping and have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)

Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
When doing a lot of cooking, especially boiling you will get conensation. Running the stove vent fan will take care of most of it. Provided you unlock the outside cap locks. You get this in your house as well. it just has a much larger volume to absorb the moisture.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We almost never leave the closets and cabinets open, and the few times we did we were not inside using it. Opening them will get that cold air out and warmer air in though. The only problem we have with condensation is on the windows. Do try not to let alot of water into the air with showering or boiling water more than necessary. In the morning we crack open the windows, wipe off any excess (because I want to see out) and run the fantastic vents and bathroom vent. We run the heat pump or furnace a little hotter than usual then to help dry the air and make up for the open windows. The rest of the day never seems to be a problem with going in and out and not introducing water into the air.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
An Airstream is not a house. It is a lot tighter and therefore holds the humid air you generated by breathing and your other activities in. The walls are two thin sheets of aluminum (an excellant heat conductor) with aluminum struts (like 2x4s in a house) and only 1/1/2 in. of isulation. The condensation on a beer can in summer is good analog. If you do not replace the indoor air with dry outdoor air, (RH drops by 50% of outdoor valve every time you raise it 15 Degrees by heating it up.) you are going to have condensation on the walls.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Well, I am not an expert... but to me an airstream is like a beer can... change the indoor and outdoor temperature and condensation occurs. A fan or a couple of slightly open windows can help air move through. Lots of threads on this topic... everyone has this concern! There are lots of items on the market to help curb the problem. Just go out and go camping and have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
Hi CaddyGrn;
Well, when I did a Post on what causes condensation there were many jokes made in reference to it. This coming from "I am not an expert" lifts my spirits knowing that many of us understand this phenomena. As CaddyGrn stated, it is the collision of different ambient temps that create condensation.
In Nature, there are two choices in prevention of such. One is to provide a total 100% temp barrier, the second is to vent in order to equalize the temps. Unless you have a 100% temp barrier, the lesser number in temp differences, the less condensation. The remaining and the ultimate choice is the man made dehumidifier.

The Owners Manual makes you aware of this natural phenomena for a reason. The reason is, that you must mechanically control your climate because the Mother Nature will not do that for you. Opening cabinetry helps to shorten the duration of condensation time by allowing the temps to equalize faster, thus minimizing the time duration and surfaces on which condensation can settle.

Yes, Your Airstream is a large can in which you try to stay comfortable either by heating or air conditioning. The reason you need one or the other, is that the outside temps are different from environment you seek to be in, and that results in temp differences divided only by walls of your AS. Unless your walls are totally 100% insulated, they become collector plates for the condensation.

The price of the AS has nothing to do with the terms left to us by Mother Nature. If you want to fight Her, install a dehumidifier and leave it plugged in at all time. If you want to go along with Her, vent it. And even if you do vent it, you are on the Mother Nature's terms in humidity content.

You may complain all you want about the Airstream and the price of it, but when it comes to Nature, it cannot be regulated. Owners Manual gives you recommendations, but you can do as you wish. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
We almost never leave the closets and cabinets open, and the few times we did we were not inside using it. Opening them will get that cold air out and warmer air in though. The only problem we have with condensation is on the windows. Do try not to let alot of water into the air with showering or boiling water more than necessary. In the morning we crack open the windows, wipe off any excess (because I want to see out) and run the fantastic vents and bathroom vent. We run the heat pump or furnace a little hotter than usual then to help dry the air and make up for the open windows. The rest of the day never seems to be a problem with going in and out and not introducing water into the air.
I couldn't have said it better myself. That is our experience 100%.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
Thanks for all the info. The manual just made it seem like a major problem. I had a Casita before the new Airstream. Same thing happened ... No big problem . Rob
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think all owner manuals are just plain scary!

Congratulations on your new 23 footer! Hope you put up pictures. Will you be planning a shake down run in December?

photography
Old 11-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
Yes we are going to go to Fort Wildness for the month. That will give me plenty of time to check every thing out. Rob
Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Now that sounds wonderful! I suppose your schedule doesn't sync up with the Forum Can Opener Rally the first week-end in January at Santa Rosa Beach Florida?? Sure would be great to meet up though. There are 46 Airstreams signed up already. Pop over if you can.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...y=2008-1-4&c=1

photography
Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Our camper before the AS w a hybrid- solid body with fold out tent ed beds. Condensation was a big concern. Haven't had a problen with the AS. As said above, use the bath and stove exhaust fans.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #13
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsix
I was reading the owners manual for my 2008 23 safari which I will be picking up in Dec. and It has a lot about condensation in the trailer. Has anyone had a problem with this? The manual says to leave the closet doors open to prevent the problem. It seems for the cost of the airstream I should be able to keep the closets and cabinets closed. Rob
People, simply doing their thing (washing, showering, or simply breathing) inside any space adds moisture to the air, thereby increasing it's dewpoint.

As a result, on even a cool morning, the inside temperature of the Airstream's aluminum walls can easily be below the dewpoint temperature of the inside air, and anytime the aluminum surface temperature is below the dewpoint temperature of the air there will be condensation.

The amount of water that can result as a result of condensation can be quite amazing, and can easily cause mold.

Keeping the vents open, when using the exhaust fan in the shower is a good idea. Using a heater to raise the temperature inside the trailer will not lower the air's dewpoint, and will not remove the moisture from inside the trailer.

Good ventilation is a key, and opening the closet doors helps ventilate them. Airstream should have installed vents in the closet doors, one high and one low, but they didn't.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
SRW is correct about the whys and hows of condensation. Two adults and a large dog put a lot of moisture into the air inside our Bambi which is particularly noticable when outside temperatures are near or below freezing. We do use fans in the shower (keeping the door closed to restrict the moisture to the shower/toilet stall) and when cooking. Otherwise, we use a chimney effect and the results are effective. How? We keep one window cracked open and one ceiling vent cracked open and have the heat on. The result is a passive exchange with cool fresh air coming in through the window and warmed air going out the vent. Warming the outside air reduces its relative humidity and the venting air takes out the moisure we and the dog produce.