Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
2009 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sussex , New Jersey
What about condensation that occurs while the unit is in storage during the winter months? When I had SOB, I used to open both of the Fantastic Fan Vents under the MaxxAir Vents, but with SOB, I had a full cover for the unit so snow didn't make its' way into the trailer. Now that everyone recommends no cover for the AS (and I fully agree) how do I open vents while not allowing snow to enter? I have one MaxxAir vent cover over the bedroom fan but still no way to keep snow out of the opening.
Airstream 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #22
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 22
What about condensation that occurs while the unit is in storage during the winter months? When I had SOB, I used to open both of the Fantastic Fan Vents under the MaxxAir Vents, but with SOB, I had a full cover for the unit so snow didn't make its' way into the trailer. Now that everyone recommends no cover for the AS (and I fully agree) how do I open vents while not allowing snow to enter? I have one MaxxAir vent cover over the bedroom fan but still no way to keep snow out of the opening.
Snow will blow in any open vent. Not as much maybe when the exhaust fan is actually operating, but still it can find its way inside when the wind is blowing. A pan under the vent to catch the melted snow, maybe an idea?

But, why do you want to leave the vents open?

I would think that winterizing the AS, closing the vents, and then just letting it get cold. Or set the stat low, say 40F, but being sure to eliminate any opportunity for moisture (snow or otherwise) to be present in the AS.

As you know, winter air is very dry, and humidty will not be a problem.

Warm up should be done slowly, and without adding moisture to the interior. With everything being cold, added moisture will condense everywhere.

Please, understand that we now live in central Texas, and I have zero actual experience stroring an AS in cold, real winter weather, like say in Cleveland, OH. in November, December, January, Feburary, March, April.

How we used to hate it when it snowed in April.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
While we have never put a unit in storage our trailers have weathered the cold snowy winters at home mostly unused in Michigan and Illinois. We do not leave any vents open or windows cracked and have never had a condensation problem inside. However if we ever brought the cold AS inside to the warm, like a package that has sat in a cold truck for several days, I bet it would sweat too. We see frost on the exterior from time to time. The sun heats the AS during the day then the night air cools it. We go in and out frequently though and sometimes heat it up to spend time inside. When we heat and use the trailer over night with shades pulled there will nearly always be trapped condensation on the windows when we open the shades until the air circulates or the temperature equalizes. (?) We just have not seen any issues with condensation and never mold or mildew but the humidity is not high here. And we have long winters.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Like the product for boats, Camping World sells products for RV's that absorbs the moisture to prevent dampness in the idle RV.

Damp Rid System - Camping World

This would lend be to believe it is a problem across the board with all makes, Airstreams and SOB's alike. We use our Airstream in the winter and are able to park it at our home so we have it plugged into 110v shore power to run the furnace fan and keep the thermostat set on 40F and keep the cabinet doors open. I do blow out the plumbing to be on the safe side, but haven't had pipes freeze yet or experienced any damp feel inside while it is parked in the yard.

Ventilation is the key to keeping the moisture down and the condensation low. Cold surfaces will act like moisture magnets so the windows would fog quickly from the condensation of our breath if we didn't keep the furnace on in the winter.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
I use a Soleus CFM-40 dehumidifier. Set in the continuous mode, it will pull excess moisture out of your air. Everything will stay dry. It will usually fill the tank almost full in a day.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Lots of info on condensation. Think about those cars you see in the winter (in the frigid north) that have their windows all fogged over. It's due to condensation. Cold outside, warm air inside and the warm air inside keeps getting warmer from the 98.6 degree bodies in there. IF fresh air is moving around inside, it carries the moist air outside and it is gone. IF a window is cracked or the AC is turned on (warm) for awhile, it goes away. Some folks never figure out how that works but it is the same thing with the AS. Cold outside temps and the warmer inside bodies, especially if there's a family with a dog or a couple of cats. If only two people, keep air moving and chances are pretty good the condensation will be kept to a minimum. That's why they suggest keeping closet doors open also - so the air can circulate throughout the trailer. Common sense will help a lot..........happy 'streamin!!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Think about those cars you see in the winter (in the frigid north) that have their windows all fogged over. It's due to condensation. Cold outside, warm air inside and the warm air inside keeps getting warmer from the 98.6 degree bodies in there.

In our youth that cover was privacy. oh never mind... As I said we have long winters.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #28
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim
Lots of info on condensation. Think about those cars you see in the winter (in the frigid north) that have their windows all fogged over. It's due to condensation. Cold outside, warm air inside and the warm air inside keeps getting warmer from the 98.6 degree bodies in there. IF fresh air is moving around inside, it carries the moist air outside and it is gone. IF a window is cracked or the AC is turned on (warm) for awhile, it goes away. Some folks never figure out how that works but it is the same thing with the AS. Cold outside temps and the warmer inside bodies, especially if there's a family with a dog or a couple of cats. If only two people, keep air moving and chances are pretty good the condensation will be kept to a minimum. That's why they suggest keeping closet doors open also - so the air can circulate throughout the trailer. Common sense will help a lot..........happy 'streamin!!
I was responding to the posting about storage of an AS in the winter, not using an AS in the winter.

When a winterized AS is in storage there is essentially no source of moisture, and letting the trailer get to near ambient temperature should eliminate condensation.

As far as using an AS, car, truck or whatever, with people, dogs and/or kids inside, doing their thing, will will result in condensation on the windows, and on most every other cold surface that is below the dewpoint temperature of the air.

A common way to help to prevent condensation is to keep the air moving by using the vehicle's window defroster, or a small oscillating fan. One of the reason this works is because the contact time between the moisture in the air and the cold surface is reduced, and the moisture simply does not have the time to condense.

Opening a vent brings in the dryier (and colder) outside air, thereby lowering the dewpoint temperature of the air inside the vehicle.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote