Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Arlington , Virginia
Question Commercial Airstream Fabricator

I am exploring starting an airstream based culinary venture and am exploring the process a bit. I'm hoping to have the fabrication done by a turnkey restoration company. I do not have an airstream yet, either. Does anyone have experience with this and is willing to share some advice?

Thank you!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Timeless Travel Trailers » Commercial Use Vehicles

Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Dan Mathews in Raleigh, NC is helping me with my restoration.
CapitalCityCustomsinc.com
Good luck!
Thomas
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Depending on the types of foods involved in your culinary venture, I suggest you first find out about all the State and local regulations and requirements. Can it be assumed you are exploring retail sales, like the food truck? Would the trailer be in at semi-permanent site or moved everyday?
Years ago I had some experience with the city of Alexandria, and the State on selling food, and I found government people very helpful. Considering all the requirements I would think that retrofitting an Airstream might pose more challenges vs. the base models other vendor use. Good luck, and keep us informed.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
As a custom builder of Airstream trailers both used trailers and new shells from the factory our design team works closely with the local code officials to make certain each of their specific criteria are met. Depending on your location your health inspectors can be great resources or not when it comes to getting the doors open for business. are currently building a pizza kitchen in a 1967 Caravel shell for delivery to Sydney, NSW, Australia and a beach bar going to the Bahamas.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
The magazine "Airstream Life" seems to cover commercial use very frequently. It might be a good reference for general ideas and maybe specific advertisers who do this kind of work. Seems every issue has one or two examples of food stands and other commercial use. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Belmore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett - TTT View Post
As a custom builder of Airstream trailers both used trailers and new shells from the factory our design team works closely with the local code officials to make certain each of their specific criteria are met. Depending on your location your health inspectors can be great resources or not when it comes to getting the doors open for business. are currently building a pizza kitchen in a 1967 Caravel shell for delivery to Sydney, NSW, Australia and a beach bar going to the Bahamas.
Hi Brett,
I'd really like to see your work could you let me know how I could view some photos?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ross View Post
Hi Brett,
I'd really like to see your work could you let me know how I could view some photos?
Please check this link to the Gallery pages of our Web site: Timeless Travel Trailers » Patio Joe’s
Timeless Travel Trailers » Octane Coffee

Here is a YouTube link to one of our Commercial Kitchens:
Concession Trailer - YouTube

The cafe trailer featured on our main Web site page can be view in a virtual tour at this address: : http://tours.hdrhomes.com/public/vtour/display/29293 with the Cafe being the last in the series and located all the way to the left end of the thumbnail photos. There is a virtual tour which can be accessed by clicking the little green, circular arrow button on the fourth from last thumbnail image.

If you will send me a private message with your email address, I can send you a link to a DropBox.com account with other projects.

Thanks,

Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote