Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Pauline , South Carolina
Coleman Supermach repair

Okay....
I know I'm not the first one to have this problem. Please help!
My '89 Excella has a Coleman Supermach. Cooling has been diminishing. I have cleaned both coils; cleaned drain lines,etc. I had a port installed and added R22. It now cools great, only problem is that it trips the 20A breaker after about 15 minutes. I have replaced the AC breaker, main 30A breaker AND the the power plug to the Airstream.
I don't know what else to do, other than buy new. And, then, I cannot decide between Mach 8 and dometic penguin. I am in New Orleans for the next 90 days and it is hot as can be.
Pleas!!!!!!!! Help
MissPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The proper amount of R-22 needs to be added. If you get too much in there the compressor is having to work too hard. A good AC man should know this. Also the clamp on fill ports tend to leak. The proper way to do it is to have one soldered in. The AC guy can also fill by compressor amperage draw. He should have measured that before he left. You need to measure the current draw with an Amp probe. This will tell you if it is actually drawing too much current of if you have a weak breaker.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Pauline , South Carolina
Thanks. Good to know. The port is soldered in place. We couldn't find any info though on the proper amount of refrigerant. So, if I understand you correctly, when the compressor kicks in the unit should not exceed how many amps? I'm guessing 14.
I am hoping I have too much I it. This would be an easy fix.
MissPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The manual should have that info. It might also be on a tag somewhere. Did you vacuum out the system when you put the fill port in?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote