Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Longview , Texas
Closed cell spray foam insulation?

Has anyone tried spray foam insulation on an AS renovation?
Ringoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoo7 View Post
Has anyone tried spray foam insulation on an AS renovation?
The shell twists, destroying the foam.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Longview , Texas
I find it hard to believe an AS twists enough to destroy spray in place foam. Wouldn't the skins show wrinkles and creases with that amount of twisting and flexing? I was more concerned with sweating.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
Look at your number of posts and then look at at Andy's. I think I would trust Andy's answer if I was you.
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp View Post
Look at your number of posts and then look at at Andy's. I think I would trust Andy's answer if I was you.
I'm sure Andy, an Airstream dealer, has a wealth of knowledge. I generally like to get more than one opinion to base a decision on. I am exploring options on insulating a frame off restoration.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm sure Andy, an Airstream dealer, has a wealth of knowledge. I generally like to get more than one opinion to base a decision on. I am exploring options on insulating a frame off restoration.
I didn't share an opinion with you, but I did try to share a "fact", which are part of my 47 years with Airstream.

An Airstream flexes because of it's "monocoque" design, just like an aircraft.

The flexing is small enough to damage the foam, but not large enough to damage the metal.

Airstream used it in some doors in 1969, and very quickly, discarded the idea.

Dometic used it in some reefer doors, long ago, and discarded it.

The foam, cannot take the twisting, or for that matter, the vibration.

But, as always, it's your choice.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Haven't used spray-in insulation on a trailer, but my office has used spray-in insulation on several metal shop buildings.

The insulation covers well IF you can spray it on directly; if you try to spray through an opening, coverage isn't so great. However, even the slightest impact causes it to flake off, so if you use it in a trailer, make sure you never hit a pothole.

Most spray-on insulation also tends to trap moisture, including condensation, and holds that moisture against the metal surface you're insulating. One reason we stopped using spray-on insulation is that we had to replace the metal building skins due to corrosion much sooner than if we had used some other kind of insulation.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I've read a lot of comments how it doesn't perform well in trailers and wondered why, because I had three different cargo vans done and was very happy with the results. I'am talking about the Urethane spray, it was quite durable. One of the advantages of the spray is that it eliminates condensation because it is directly applied to the surface not allowing moister to form on it. I would think it would lock everything in place not allowing the trailers to flex as much because it is quite strong. I never experienced flaking cracking or corrosion and this is over 28 plus years of ownership on three different vans driving in Michigan, and believe me we have potholes. There are some disavantages, if hit on the outside it dents more readily as it won't flex, and much more difficult to repair after an accident. My experience isn't with aluminum framing it might react differently.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
I've read a lot of comments how it doesn't perform well in trailers and wondered why, because I had three different cargo vans done and was very happy with the results. I'am talking about the Urethane spray, it was quite durable. One of the advantages of the spray is that it eliminates condensation because it is directly applied to the surface not allowing moister to form on it. I would think it would lock everything in place not allowing the trailers to flex as much because it is quite strong. I never experienced flaking cracking or corrosion and this is over 28 plus years of ownership on three different vans driving in Michigan, and believe me we have potholes. There are some disavantages, if hit on the outside it dents more readily as it won't flex, and much more difficult to repair after an accident. My experience isn't with aluminum framing it might react differently.
The spray-in insulation I'm familiar with isn't urethane foam. We didn't use urethane (or polyurethane) at our field sites due to numerous EPA complaints about its toxicity and the vapors it gives off from out-gassing. Being a Government agency, we have to take that sort of thing into account. As a private owner, you can make up your own mind. Aside from possible toxicity, urethane does have the advantes you cite.

If you use a urethane foam, ventilate to a fare-thee-well for as long as you can during and after installation, and if you get headaches or your eyes begin to feel like they've got sand in them while using the trailer, ventilate some more.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I didn't share an opinion with you, but I did try to share a "fact", which are part of my 47 years with Airstream.

An Airstream flexes because of it's "monocoque" design, just like an aircraft.

The flexing is small enough to damage the foam, but not large enough to damage the metal.

Airstream used it in some doors in 1969, and very quickly, discarded the idea.

Dometic used it in some reefer doors, long ago, and discarded it.

The foam, cannot take the twisting, or for that matter, the vibration.

But, as always, it's your choice.

Andy
The FACTS are the types of foams and formulations have changed over the years.

Currently there are several types of spray on foams that will flex. Urethane being one of them. I suspect the one that was originally tried many years ago was a form of polyisocyanate which does not flex well at all.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Longview , Texas
That's what I'm looking for! What material did Airstream use in the doors that failed? How are modern airplanes insulated? The military has insulated planes with foam, what type? 44 years has seen quite a bit of material development. Is it time to revisit the idea? Fact is in 1969 a computer filled a large room, now I'm holding one in my hand.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Try doing a search of the forums for "spray foam insulation" and permutations thereof. This topic has come up half a dozen times in the last few years.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
just to play devils advocate, Avion used spray foam insulation...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...eam-98513.html
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp View Post
Easy. I thought that was fair question. I would not have guessed that the trailer twists enough to destroy the foam either. However, good explanation and good to know. Another thing to stuff into my "clue bag."
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Longview , Texas
One idea is to cover the sections between ribs with Mylar then spray foam to make form fitting panels eliminating the bond to the exterior skins. The panels could be removed for maintenance. This would eliminate the piece-mealing associated with rigid foam board insulation.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
One idea is to cover the sections between ribs with Mylar then spray foam to make form fitting panels eliminating the bond to the exterior skins. The panels could be removed for maintenance. This would eliminate the piece-mealing associated with rigid foam board insulation.
Excellent concept! Would it work with something other than Mylar? such as maybe Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil, which is a lot cheaper to buy?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The spray-in insulation I'm familiar with isn't urethane foam. We didn't use urethane (or polyurethane) at our field sites due to numerous EPA complaints about its toxicity and the vapors it gives off from out-gassing. Being a Government agency, we have to take that sort of thing into account. As a private owner, you can make up your own mind. Aside from possible toxicity, urethane does have the advantes you cite.

If you use a urethane foam, ventilate to a fare-thee-well for as long as you can during and after installation, and if you get headaches or your eyes begin to feel like they've got sand in them while using the trailer, ventilate some more.
It sounds like your getting your foam insulations mixed up. Urethane foam doesn't have the problems you described with vapors and toxicity after installation. It has no formaldehydes and is safe with no vapors. It is the insulation that is most preferred in our area for new construction. It provides the tightest, highest R-Value per inch than any other insulation. I live in the home town of Dow Chemical Co, and they have their own brands of urethane spray foam on the market, no EPA issues in most installation situations. I say most because the EPA can find a problem with anything.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
It sounds like your getting your foam insulations mixed up. Urethane foam doesn't have the problems you described with vapors and toxicity after installation. It has no formaldehydes and is safe with no vapors. It is the insulation that is most preferred in our area for new construction. It provides the tightest, highest R-Value per inch than any other insulation. I live in the home town of Dow Chemical Co, and they have their own brands of urethane spray foam on the market, no EPA issues in most installation situations. I say most because the EPA can find a problem with anything.
You may be right; the more senior I get, the more "senior moments" I have.

But in my defense, I offer this:
Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) Home | Design for the Environment (DfE) | US EPA

I'm not enough of a chemist to know the difference between urethane and polyurethane, so the foam you cite may not be the same foam I cite.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Current transport aircraft (airliners and business type) are insulated with blankets between the ribs. I am not sure what the material is, but it is not foam. The blankets allow the mechanics to easily move them out of the way when repairs are needed, then put them back.

It has been a couple of years since I last stopped over at the maintenance base, but that is what they use. I watched a show on the construction of the new B787 and it used the same blankets.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Current transport aircraft (airliners and business type) are insulated with blankets between the ribs. I am not sure what the material is, but it is not foam. The blankets allow the mechanics to easily move them out of the way when repairs are needed, then put them back.

It has been a couple of years since I last stopped over at the maintenance base, but that is what they use. I watched a show on the construction of the new B787 and it used the same blankets.
Yep. That's what is used in the 777.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote