Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Odessa , Washington
Clecos - will I wish I had 'em?

Howdy Folks,
Can anyone out there enlighten me about clecos? As I learn about the restoration of these trailers I run accross their mention ocasionally and there's an article on a '56 Flying cloud restoration at www.vintageairstream.com where they are used extensively. I gather that they originate from the aircraft industy and are used to help align the sheet metal panels prior to riveting. A google search took me to an aircraft repair parts website that offered dozens of diferent types and sizes. Do you really need them? If so, what sizes/types and how many would you recommend? Why can't you just use rivets (un-pulled) to align the pieces?
I'm just about done with the rip-out phase (a term from my shipyard days) and I'm trying to be prepared without breaking the bank.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

New to this forum, RV'ing & Airstreams
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Will you wish you had them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nuke View Post
Howdy Folks,
Can anyone out there enlighten me about clecos? As I learn about the restoration of these trailers I run accross their mention ocasionally and there's an article on a '56 Flying cloud restoration at www.vintageairstream.com where they are used extensively. I gather that they originate from the aircraft industy and are used to help align the sheet metal panels prior to riveting. A google search took me to an aircraft repair parts website that offered dozens of diferent types and sizes. Do you really need them? If so, what sizes/types and how many would you recommend? Why can't you just use rivets (un-pulled) to align the pieces?
I'm just about done with the rip-out phase (a term from my shipyard days) and I'm trying to be prepared without breaking the bank.
YES! Don't even 'think' of working on the aluminum panels without them.
Think of them as 'basting' stitches in tailoring... they hold the pieces (which are heavy) together and make the project manageable. Once you drill the holes it's a done deal as far as the aluminum goes... once a hole, always a hole! Then when you rivet, it's rather permanent....you really don't want to have to remove them so by holding the metal together... with 'clecos' first, on all sides of the panels you can see, just by the clecos holding the panels if there is a 'pucker' or a crease or a bulge against the frame...BEFORE you rivet. Then if there is an adjustment you can shift slightly to correct.
Aluminum is very heavy and hard to control... and 'razor' sharp! Don't ask me how I know! Just guessing that you'll need at least a hundred or so... for starters... and a maybe 50 or so 'larger' size for when you need to hold more than 2 sheets together at one seam. Yes... it's a BIG 'tailoring job' .... for the biggest suit a tailor could make! and one of the most expensive... don't scrimp on the tools.

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
they are a tool that is hard to live without. I use them as another set of hands. I buy them from Airparts inc. The copper colored ones are 1/8" and the black ones are 5/32". I am always nervous, so I drill and cleco the copper ones first then once it all looks proper, I drill the holes larger and install the black ones. Then it is just a matter of removing them one by one and filling it with a solid rivet. I have a hundred of each, but often they are all in use. Airparts inc sells them for $.49 each and the tool to remove and install them. other vendors sell them too, but I like the excellent service Airparts offers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3905.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	76336
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I bought my clecos off of e-bay. I have seen them on aircraft tool websites.

Lothlorian
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Howdy Folks,
They are a must for aluminum sheet metal work.
Aircraft tool supply will have all you need.
You cannot just use rivets because they can rack over or fall out. Yes you could tape them but clecos and the and cleco plyers are a must.
the size the cleco must match the size of the river you use.
Michelle (Airframe and Powerplant)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Howdy Folks,

Yes.... pulls panels together
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The come in handy for putting in windows, and are just plain fun, best toy since legos.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Anybody who has done any panel work will agree, they are indespencible. We found the copper ones for $.38 each. 100 cost $38.00, best 38-bucks we ever spent at twice the price! Not a place to scrimp, you will regret it.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Brown Tools

At work our mechanics got their Cleco's and other sheet metal tools from Brown Aviation Tools (Home). They can be found cheaper, but if you need specific sizes they have everything. Another interesting tool they have is a spring loaded hole finder. Sounds strange, but if you are replacing a panel they make a very quick and easy job of locating existing rivet holes and drilling matching holes on a new panel.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield View Post
Another interesting tool they have is a spring loaded hole finder.
Do you have a picture of the tool? I can't quite get an image of how it works.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
We have a hole finder - don't know if it's the same one he's talking about, but ours is very simple. It's basically a pair of tongs or tweezers with a nub that fits in the back (hidden) hole and a corresponding hole in the front. You put the aluminum between the two and when the nub slips into the concealed hole, you drill through the hole on the front and they line up.

Here's one like ours...Hole Duplicator

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Clecos

Try ebay, they have a large selection and are a lot more reasonable than the suppliers mentioned here.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I got a huge variety of used clecos and tools for cheap from... Welcome To The Yard
and was impressed by rapid shipping, almost as fast as vintage trailer supplies
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Clecos are my husband's best friend....especially when his "Bucker" (me) is not around to assist. Do not proceed without them!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Odessa , Washington
Thanks, everybody for all your help. I think I found a pretty good deal on eBay for starters.

New to this forum, RV'ing & Airstreams
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If you have 100 each you will need 125 of each size, if you have 125 each you will need 150
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You will also want the right sized drill bits. I'm sure others can provide the numbers...
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
They are really necessary, as are the pliers to apply and remove them. I found the best price / shipping ratio from Aircraft Spruce. However, I ended up buying mine from Spencer Aircraft in Puyallup, WA. It hurts to pay a bit more, but I got a 30 min. lecture on how to use them and how to buck rivets properly by one of their aircraft mechanics. Totally worth the $20 extra I paid to shop locally and I told them that. I'm sure you could find something similar in Spokane if you need a refresher lesson.

I would recommend at least 50 of the black colored clecos (5/32") minimum for exterior panel and belly skin work. And at least 20 of the copper colored ones (1/8") for interior panel work. And don't forget the pliers!

If you're shopping for drill bits too, look for the short aircraft style ones. They're about 1 1/2" long and don't break as easily as the long ones you get from the box stores (sharper too).

Ryan.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
I would recommend at least 50 of the black colored clecos (5/32") minimum for exterior panel and belly skin work. And at least 20 of the copper colored ones (1/8") for interior panel work. And don't forget the pliers!
Guess it depends on the size of your project...we needed about 150 copper and 100 black while working on replacing the side panel on our Safari - and we didn't even put them in every hole!

Shari

Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
"If you're shopping for drill bits too, look for the short aircraft style ones. They're about 1 1/2" long and don't break as easily as the long ones you get from the box stores (sharper too)."

And if you use 'em in an air drill, they are very fast and tend to cut nearly burr free. I think they are specially ground for aluminum.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote