Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Cleaning Questions

We got our dream trailer on Sunday, 30 Aug. So pleased! She's a beauty and we've already named her. After our Mothers. Virginia Joy is our 2008 25' International CCD Ocean Breeze.

We're in the process of cleaning every inch go a sheen. Have some questions.

What type of cleaned is best to use on the windows, both tinted as well as clear. Anything you definitely do NOT want to use?

Is the roof sturdy enough for a 200 lb adult to climb on top to clean the vents and skylights?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
StreamGlider, congrats on your new Airstream and welcome to the forums!
I am not an expert but here is what I do:

Exterior: Glare auto wash (when you feel like waxing your Airstream, use the Glare auto wax.) Always wash or wax with the grain of the aluminum, never across the grain. Generally this is along the trailer front to back.

The reason I mention this is the only time I wash my windows is when I wash the trailer, and sometimes I wash the inside of the windows with the Glare auto wash also. Dry with terry cloth.

I do not use Windex anywhere in the Airstream - it is not good for the aluminum so I don't get it anywhere near the trailer.

Now for the roof, I have never been onto my roof. I am afraid of falling off. The sides are curved, after all. There is a technique of only walking on the ribs that can bear weight, and not in between them. But I just stay off the roof. Sometimes when washing the trailer I try to get to the roof as far as I can lean over, other times I just leave it.

To clean the vents, if you have Fantastic Vents the screen inside is removable - just give it a gentle but firm pull and you will see there are 8 tabs holding it in. Wash with Dawn. Then you can clean the fan blades pretty easily from inside the Airstream. They actually get pretty dirty (at least mine do!) so I clean them once a year. Now to actually get to the vent lid that opens and closes, I haven't done that - maybe the fan blade comes out and you can wash the inside of the vent from inside the Airstream.

What interior walls do you have? If aluminum interior, use Pledge - I use the Orange for some reason I like that. for cabinets I wash with a wet rag, nothing special.

What else...for the stack vents in the bathroom and shower, I have not found an easy way to remove those screens. But I find I can get those mostly clean just from the inside.

The shower plastic is pretty delicate, so I would recommend you not use many household cleaners with cleansers or bleach that may be fine at home but could scratch the delicate finish of the AS bathroom.

On the plus side, once you give your AS a thorough cleaning, they are really easy to keep clean - you can clean the AS in less time than a single room in a stick house!

Good luck!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Oh I just re-read your post - you have the Ocean Breeze interior! I love that interior - it is just beautiful! The curtains and sofa upholstery are just delightful! Great choice and there is just nothing like the Ocean Breeze offered today! Enjoy!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
On interior windows, I dampen a cloth with a diluted mixture of white vinegar and water, then wipe. That is followed by a microcloth to remove any residue. This also works well on all the laminates.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard! I used "Rejex" from the Mothership for waxing. It lasted over a year and I reapplied just because it is still working so well.

Cleaning interior windows... As above with diluted white vinegar. Dry with microfiber. Now, there is some stuff called "Glass wax". That is the name. I wax interior of all my windows once then a damp than dry microfiber towel and they are clear. Vinegar will damage the "plastic"film if you have that on your windows. If they are "internally tinted", no worries.

Don't forget to wax the screen door handle. Keeps it from oxidizing as fast from hand oils.

Do NOT use Armor All. Get some "303". Great on awnings, all vinyl, tire sidewalks, anything you want to block UV from damage. http://www.westmarine.com/303-produc...04_129_002_506
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote