Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Cleaning bathroom and shower vent screens

How do you clean the screens on the vent fans in the bathroom and shower? Have tried removing, too complicated, and tried small nose attachment and vacuum cleaner to no avail. Any ideas?
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We use a soft bristle brush attachment that goes on the end of our little hand vac.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I use a damp microfiber cloth. It grabs the dust and dirt. Use it on the window screens as well.
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I am tagging so as to follow the thread, but to post something with content, I'll just suggest that you wait the four years it takes to clog up; then buy a new airstream.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
I am tagging so as to follow the thread, but to post something with content, I'll just suggest that you wait the four years it takes to clog up; then buy a new airstream.
Oh that is the best cleaning tip ever! If that doesn't work try the microfiber cloth as mentioned by other poster - dry first then wet.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
With the fan operating to draw the dust out, an old toothbrush seems to work pretty well.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Since mine always seem to get some leaves or something on top of the screen I use a small right angle screwdriver, Harbor Freight, to remove the two screws and then the screen. The screwdriver looks like an L.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
In the toilet area. With the fan off, pull the handle down to close. At each side of the handle you will see a screw which secures the handle. Undo and remove handle. You can now undo the two screws holding the screen and remove the screen.
The shower area is more complicated because of the shower enclosure ceiling. This has added depth from the outside ceiling into the shower. The body of the fan is longer so when you pull the handle the ends doesn't clear the fan body like the toilet one. According to Airstream Tech support they suggest removing the plastic trim ring in the shower ceiling. This is sealed onto the ceiling for moisture intrusion so you will need to razor cut the caulking around the edge.
I have not tried this yet as it looks like the handle will still not clear the fan body I see this as a design issue between Airstream and the fan manufacturer.
There are a lot more design issues I could get into but will keep them for another day.

happy trails
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunni View Post
I use a damp microfiber cloth. It grabs the dust and dirt. Use it on the window screens as well.
This works for us also.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I've used a damp sponge. Same idea as the damp microfiber cloth as others have suggested. Not a perfectly clean result but good enough for camping. Repeat as needed.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I just turn it on, brush it with an old toothbrush, and blow it out with an air nozzle.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Thanks for the micro fiber cloth idea. We use a small soft fiber brush and it works well.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
In my Safari with the round Ventline fan, I use the toothbrush & fan on method.

In my Excella with the square opening I turn on the fan then thump the screen with my finger until all accumulated debris has been blown out. Then I use a soft cloth and/or the vacuum cleaner with a brush to remove dust from the interior of the screen.

Every year or two I remove the screens to clean fan blades, when they start looking bad.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie46 View Post
In the toilet area. With the fan off, pull the handle down to close. At each side of the handle you will see a screw which secures the handle. Undo and remove handle. You can now undo the two screws holding the screen and remove the screen.
The shower area is more complicated because of the shower enclosure ceiling. This has added depth from the outside ceiling into the shower. The body of the fan is longer so when you pull the handle the ends doesn't clear the fan body like the toilet one. According to Airstream Tech support they suggest removing the plastic trim ring in the shower ceiling. This is sealed onto the ceiling for moisture intrusion so you will need to razor cut the caulking around the edge.
I have not tried this yet as it looks like the handle will still not clear the fan body I see this as a design issue between Airstream and the fan manufacturer.
There are a lot more design issues I could get into but will keep them for another day.

happy trails
You are so right about the fan in the shower area. During a service trip to Jackson Center, I asked the service technician how to replace the plastic handle on the fan since the screws are not accessible. He stated it would require accessing the fan from the roof. I replaced the broken handle on the bathroom fan easily. Now I am faced with needing to replace the broken handle on the shower fan. I'm not looking forward to this exercise and have resorted temporarily to using tape to hold the handle together. This is a terrible design flaw since the handle on the fan is going to break sooner or later. If anyone has replaced the shower handle without going on the roof, I would love to hear how you did it.

We, too use a damp microfiber cloth to clean the screen. Not a perfect solution but works well enough.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
I contacted a company called e trailer and they told me I would need to remove the fan completely to remove the handle and screen.
Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Today, I decided to clean the 2 small fans (WC and shower). However, our 2017 is different than our 2008. I couldn't remove the handle as I did with the 2008 because of the ducted air. I did what other have done with a toothbrush followed by a microfibre cloth. Good enough, but not perfect.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

My solution I find effective effective. I keep a couple of those small disposable sponge trim paint brushes in the bathroom. Barely dampen it with water. Brush the screen with it to remove the heavy dust. Rinse, squeeze dry, then sprinkle rubbing alcohol on it and wipe away the oils left on the screen from hairspray, deodorants or air fresheners. WALA, clean screen!
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
The micro fiber cloth worked great for us.Thought we we’re going to have to buy a New airstream there for a minute. Thank you Airforms!!!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
The micro fiber cloth worked great for us.Thought we we’re going to have to buy a New airstream there for a minute. Thank you Airforms!!!

Brought this one back from the dead [emoji28]

I just cleaned my bathroom fan a few days ago but didn’t do the shower one because of the caulking. Didn’t see this thread but very useful now that I am addressing this anyways!

Can anyone confirm that you need to get at it from the top vs removing caulking, trim, cleaning, and recaulking? Climbing up on the roof to clean the fan doesn’t seem right.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Brought this one back from the dead [emoji28]

I just cleaned my bathroom fan a few days ago but didn’t do the shower one because of the caulking. Didn’t see this thread but very useful now that I am addressing this anyways!

Can anyone confirm that you need to get at it from the top vs removing caulking, trim, cleaning, and recaulking? Climbing up on the roof to clean the fan doesn’t seem right.
BigSxyWhtGuy
I used Seemore’s advice and from bottom, wiped with dry and then wet microfiber. Worked Great. Ours was getting bad cause I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. Took less than 5 minutes to clean shower and bathroom.
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote