Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
City Water pressure regulator (location) leak?

Where is this regulator located in a 2009 28' International. We have a leak somewhere and have ruled out everything but this component, but can't find it.

Help!
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
According to the 2009 International Parts Book, the pressure regulator is incorporated into the city water hookup, part #601392-05. It's not a separate part.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Sinjin,

It should be just inside the trailer close to where the City Water connector is on the outside.

On my '76 Argosy, it is at the rear under the street side bed.

However, in redoing my plumbing it made more sense to relocate it outside before the fresh water hose. That way it not only protects the plumbing inside the trailer but the hose too!

I used the JABSCO 'Water Pressure Regulator' under their Model Number 44411-0045.

Good Luck!
Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Thanks guys! Always a quick response on this site!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's all one part of the city water hookup.

Describe your leak. For example does it stop when the hot water heater is off. The reason I ask is this is a common problem of water pressure increasing in the water system by the thermal expansion of the water heating. If there is no air "bubble" in the top of the hot water heater to absorb some of this expansion it maybe forced out of the weakest fitting(s). This is especially true of the newer electric/propane combo units, probably due to a higher water temperature or the faster heating.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Yes, there is no leak when the water heater is off, or if the pressure caused by the heated water swell is relieved. I do not know if this happens when connected to city water. We have been running off the fresh water tank lately. Hmmm... Will this happen if connected to city water?

Another thing to consider is a small expansion tank. Just don't know where I would mount one.
OBPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Where is this regulator located in a 2009 28' International. We have a leak somewhere and have ruled out everything but this component, but can't find it.

Help!
How do you know you have a leak? Where is the water dripping From?

Have you looked thoroughly at the connections and valves on the toilet? That is a common place for small leaks.

Have you checked the connection on the outlet of the water pump?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Oh yea there is a leak! The dripping shows up on the street side forward and aft of the wheel well. For the final 'Here is the leak' we used dry toilet paper placed at several locations. And the winner, WET ONE was at the city water inlet connector. I was just able to place the TP there with the help of long arms and a pair of pliers. All other fittings were dry.
OBPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

You are confusing me. Are two people with different user IDs posting about the same leak in the same trailer?

Ken
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBPete View Post
Oh yea there is a leak! The dripping shows up on the street side forward and aft of the wheel well. For the final 'Here is the leak' we used dry toilet paper placed at several locations. And the winner, WET ONE was at the city water inlet connector. I was just able to place the TP there with the help of long arms and a pair of pliers. All other fittings were dry.
That's a bummer.
I'm guessing that if you detached the filler fitting on the outside of the trailer, you might find enough slack to pull it out far enough to access the back of it.

Ken
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This WBCCI article from Airstream describes how to restore how to restore the "bubble" in your water heater to take up some of the thermal expansion in the water system.

http://wbcci.org/general-information...-november-2013

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks Doug. I did not know how to create this air space in the tank. In essence making the water heater tank an accumulator too. It makes sense. Good information.

David

PS Brother in law had good walleye fishing on West over the holidays. I have no idea why anyone would want to ice fish?
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
One of our trailers has a built in regulator, one does not. On both trailers I use an adjustable regulator with a gauge hooked to the park water connection. Many parks in areas where it freezes use underground valves with an outlet and handle above ground. Many times these systems have loads of pressure. I want to protect not only my trailer, but my hose as well.

Works well everywhere for me.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
PS Brother in law had good walleye fishing on West over the holidays. I have no idea why anyone would want to ice fish?
David, this is a reason why, our granddaughter today in the fish house on West Battle. She's proud of her catch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7320.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	860.1 KB
ID:	203543  

Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
I had the same problem and just fixed it. Water dripping around the wheel well when the hot water heater turned on, either connected to city water or running off the tank. It was the city water inlet valve. Replaced it and all is well.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Water Pressure Acculator

The thermal expansion can put a bit of pressure on the water system. I added a small water pressure accumulator from Camping World ($40?) to give some extra expansion space, and generally smooth the operation of the water system.

You can put it anywhere after the water pump but it must be on a cold water line. I put it under the bath sink with the connections down to allow drainage for winterizing. Took a line off the cold water faucet and hooked to it the accumulator, then bought a new line to run from accumulator to the cold water faucet. Pretty easy addition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	203554  

Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Nice Waleye

Oh Uh! I changed subjects in this thread! Doug, that is a great picture! Being connected to the same small Minnesota town is fun.

Well, fish live in water, and we are talking about water. There is a connection.

I've learned how to create an air space in my water heater, and I've learned pressure regulators can leak. I am planning on installing a small accumulator as I re-plumb my Trade Wind.

I have benefited from this thread. I hope the OP did too.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Yes, we did benefit from this thread and everyone's suggestions. Pete reinstated the air bubble as suggested above and the leak stopped. He also bought a new shur flow city water inlet but hasn't had time to install it yet.

Thank you all for your input, sorry it took me so long to reply. We have been on the move since he got the air bubble thing working and are currently at Disney and are leaving for San Diego next week.

Thanks again and Happy Trails

Pat n Pete
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The thermal expansion can put a bit of pressure on the water system. I added a small water pressure accumulator from Camping World ($40?) to give some extra expansion space, and generally smooth the operation of the water system.

You can put it anywhere after the water pump but it must be on a cold water line. I put it under the bath sink with the connections down to allow drainage for winterizing. Took a line off the cold water faucet and hooked to it the accumulator, then bought a new line to run from accumulator to the cold water faucet. Pretty easy addition.
Here is how I had my accumulator installed.
http://www.vsquare.com/howard/photos.../P1000042s.jpg
The PO had included it in the sale, but it was still in its box. I had it installed at JC and it makes a huge difference, especially when boondocking - no surges.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Same Problem In 2018

Quote:
I have the same problem that you described, water leaking at the front and back of the wheel well streetside. I believe it to be the city water inlet that is the culprit. Did you get yours fixed.
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote