Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Good to know about the peppermint oil, I'll keep that in mind. Here in KY the mice like to come in around the fall when the temps start dropping, but once they've established themselves they stay. When we first built this house they came in under the garage door. (Hah! Guess what! My trap just went off and got the little peanut stealing varmint. He got a half dozen but just got too greedy and slam! Down came the door.)

Anyway, the mice carried dog food from the 50 lb. bag into my bass boat, which I found in a rod box during a trip. I got a box of D-Con and put out a trap. It was gobbled up in a day. Put out another one and that lasted most of the winter. Several years later and the traps last about 2 or 3 seasons.

I store the AS in a commercial lot so I'll check into the peppermint oil as a deterrent but I'll keep some D-Con around too.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
yeah Moth balls under the Airstream and metal screen wire over the furnace exhaust vent on the side, to keep the wasp and mud-dobbers out.

Wasp came in through the furnace exhaust vent on the previous trailer I owned, in two weeks ! They were under the bath tub, in the bathroom vanity. They would just show up random for months.
Steel wool stuffed in any crook or crevice will deter mice. They don't like to chew on the steel wool

Best Regards
Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Using poison can and does cause secondary poisoning of other animals in the food chain such as birds of prey who eat the poisoned rodent. I have heard D-con is going to be made illegal for this reason.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Using poison can and does cause secondary poisoning of other animals in the food chain such as birds of prey who eat the poisoned rodent. I have heard D-con is going to be made illegal for this reason.
I find some of the dead mice in the crawl space, others in the yard and I pick them up and dispose of them. I have 3 or 4 neighbors who seem to think it's OK to allow their cats to roam free although there is a county wide ordinance to the contrary. While picking up the dead rodents I also pick up the dead robins, cardinals and other assorted birds. Maybe they should make cats illegal too.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote