Old 05-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Name them Simon, Theodore and Alvin and teach them to sing harmony.

Which of course means trap them live with a small Havahart trap. I even trap my mice in a Havahart trap. They were here first.

I think chipmunks will visit your trailer but won't make it home like mice and packrats.

I have trapped about a dozen skunks in a Havahart trap. Works real good. Of course it could have been the same skunk trapped a dozen times. Not in my trailer though.

Figure out where they are getting in and plug the holes.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have also heard that by placing rubber snakes under your trailer at 4-5 locations will keep rodents away. You can also get bottles of fox urine at most sporting good stores and squirt the ground around the trailer. If they have invaded the trailer already, moth balls will run them out, but I'm not sure which is worse.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
That is a good thought but! If I have to risk the wife shooting the trailer to kill the (rubber and I would not tell the armed sweetheart that she killed rubber snakes) snakes or make the area a haven for Horney foxes pissing on the piss spots!?! Okay the inside smelling like my grandmothers closet!?! We don't want to kill Alvin and his friends why??
Cliff
Old 06-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
We've had 6 around the house, I've caught 5 of them with the Have-a-heart trap. It's a satisfying sound to hear the door drop onto the wood of the deck. I know I have to fire up the car and take something for a ride.

Today I watched #6. I've seen him before, around the swing set in the backyard. He's been nibbling the maple tree 'helicopters' and made the occasional journey to the deck.

I've noticed the trap would be tripped from time to time but nothing on the inside. Sometimes a bird would lay on its side and poke through the cage to get the peanuts, dropping the door and scaring them off. I have caught 3 birds in the trap.

So today Mr. Chipmunk (actually, he's a ground squirrel. There is a difference, to my surprise) comes up on the deck, goes to one side and checks out the peanuts, goes around the back and then to the other side, but not to the open door. Then he jumps up on top of it and bounces up and down until the door drops down. Then he jumps down and walks off the deck into the back yard.

Now what?

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Smart rodent either let it live or termination time! I do have yard pets that are smart rodents but if they venture near the stream they will die! Sometimes it is a necessary evil!
Cliff
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Then he jumps up on top of it and bounces up and down until the door drops down. Then he jumps down and walks off the deck into the back yard.

Now what?
Friend had a squirrel do the dance on the trap, he solved it by getting a dog!

Here's an abreviated version of my AS ownership and landlord to critters.

When I first bought the AS and was fixing plumbing found the plumber had made a 4 inch hole for a 2 inch pipe missed and cut another inch. I repaired it knowing it was an open invitation to animals. (picture with aluminum around pipe hole)

A couple of years ago I found rodent had started making nest on motor, used plastic tubes that control the a/c mixing door, chewed up foam insulation around motor, cleaned out and kept mothballs in a mesh bag by radiator, seemed to solve problem.
Thought I had solved the problem but last week I had water in the oil and researched cause and tied it down to Chevy using plastic and silicon gasket. On taking the engine apart I found acorns stored on the manifold and in the space formed by the the head and manifold, mouse outhouse fluids rusted the head, and if I didn't read google posts on intake manifold gaskets I would have blame it on her

Last year with mothballs around motor problem mouse was buiding nest on the gas tank and decide to floss with the wires to the tank, took out the gas gauge, that one brought rocks from the driveway to sharpen it's teeth. No they didn't fly up there, top of tank is above the frame and sealed from both sides, and differential blocks area from front and rearis blocked by spare tire, and I don't drive fast in driveway to throw rocks.

Last month's mouse in RV came up the electric cord(enough space between cord and closed door, found paper towels shredded in the trunk but it didn't stop there, turns out AS in cutting corners to mount wardrobe closets forgot to seal 1x2 inch hole to trunk. Why didn't I see hole?, it is located under the drawer beneath the cabinet, with a flashlight in the trunk, hole can be seen. Similar hole found on passenger side closet but at the roofline. Mouse didn't like the trunk, so started making a nest under the rear bed behind the drawer(brought in insulation along with paper towels), then deciding to have nest closer to food, constructed one in the the galley in drawer under the stovetop using carpet, paper towels and foam insulation. No food was in the RV, drawers were clean the week before.
I was busy all week, fixing, cleaning and working my way forward trying to predict where the next invasion will be. Took off refrigerator outside access panel and looking at it's design decided the one inch square holes needed to be reduced, 1/4 inch wire mesh should be small enough to keep critters out, maybe even the mud dobber wasps that I removed.
Roof vent already has screening over opening. Checked furnace and it seems secure, small openings and only large one is the exhaust and it only goes to the burn chamber, on second thought maybe a plug wouldn't be a bad idea, putting a note on thermostat to
remind me to take out the plug before use.

Researched mouse deterrents and Peppermint oil came up, bought a pint and will keep cotton balls around interior adding oil whenever it needs replacing. Tested with a couple andsmell is pleasant, better than the fir needle oil I used last year.

Havahart trap would be good for a few but population grows too fast to actually trap faster than they reproduce, it is year round here in Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer pipe hole repair.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	213565   Click image for larger version

Name:	mousenest.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	213566  

Click image for larger version

Name:	closetmousehold.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	213567  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Good to know about the peppermint oil, I'll keep that in mind. Here in KY the mice like to come in around the fall when the temps start dropping, but once they've established themselves they stay. When we first built this house they came in under the garage door. (Hah! Guess what! My trap just went off and got the little peanut stealing varmint. He got a half dozen but just got too greedy and slam! Down came the door.)

Anyway, the mice carried dog food from the 50 lb. bag into my bass boat, which I found in a rod box during a trip. I got a box of D-Con and put out a trap. It was gobbled up in a day. Put out another one and that lasted most of the winter. Several years later and the traps last about 2 or 3 seasons.

I store the AS in a commercial lot so I'll check into the peppermint oil as a deterrent but I'll keep some D-Con around too.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
yeah Moth balls under the Airstream and metal screen wire over the furnace exhaust vent on the side, to keep the wasp and mud-dobbers out.

Wasp came in through the furnace exhaust vent on the previous trailer I owned, in two weeks ! They were under the bath tub, in the bathroom vanity. They would just show up random for months.
Steel wool stuffed in any crook or crevice will deter mice. They don't like to chew on the steel wool

Best Regards
Old 06-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Using poison can and does cause secondary poisoning of other animals in the food chain such as birds of prey who eat the poisoned rodent. I have heard D-con is going to be made illegal for this reason.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Using poison can and does cause secondary poisoning of other animals in the food chain such as birds of prey who eat the poisoned rodent. I have heard D-con is going to be made illegal for this reason.
I find some of the dead mice in the crawl space, others in the yard and I pick them up and dispose of them. I have 3 or 4 neighbors who seem to think it's OK to allow their cats to roam free although there is a county wide ordinance to the contrary. While picking up the dead rodents I also pick up the dead robins, cardinals and other assorted birds. Maybe they should make cats illegal too.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE