Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Central Texas Repair Shop for my '77 Argosy?

I hope, hope, hope someone can help me here.

We bought a 77 Argosy in June. We drove it all the way from New Mexico to Houston, Texas, with the only problem being what appeared to be a vapor lock that caused the vehicle to just stop running when it got too hot (which we worked around by driving at night and early morning, when it was cooler).

My husband insisted on letting my niece's "mechanic" husband work on the vapor lock problem.

Three months later, we find he has somehow rendered the RV undrivable and unusable.

I am sick. We are going to miss out on all our fall travel plans for the RV.

So I am picking up where I left off 3 months ago, when I was trying to find a qualified professional to work on the Argosy.

I utter this plea for help in this amazing forum: Can anyone direct me to a real mechanic in the Central Texas area (Austin, Caldwell, Brenham, Bellville, Bryan/College Station, or even Houston) who can work on engine repairs for our RV.

From what I understand, the following needs attention:
* Brake lines
* Belts
* Fuel line
* Generator (fix choke)

I know nothing about automotive mechanics, but from what my husband tells me, several bolts have rusted and are hard to pull off, leading my nieces husband to decide he didn't have time to mess with the project any
more.

Please. Any advice or recommendations or referrals are desperately needed.

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts and consideration,
Sara
Stephenssg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Did you try Bob Jones RV in S. Houston? They are the about the only folks I'd let touch my rig. It may be out of their scope of work, but I'm sure they would be able to recommend a mechanic. They see their fair share of diesel pushers.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote