Old 05-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Zanesville , Ohio
Central Ohio newbys w/65 Overlander ?'s

Hi All,
The wife and I just bought a pretty original 65 Outlander and now are beginning the job of seeing what we have, and what we need. We are wanting to keep it as original as possible, as we do like the vintage style. In the future I'll try to post in appropriate sub forums, but I have a few pressing questions I'd just like to get out there tonite if I can.
First up...tires and wheels. Originals are the 6 ply 7.00 x 15 bias on split rims. I've done a bit of searching on the wheel/tire forum which sure can make your head swim. Anyone using the Yokahama RY215 tire out there? A bit pricey at 150.00 from my dealer, but might be my choice if I go in the radial direction at all. Or Primex? as my bias choice. Maybe more important still is WHERE can I find the correct wheel for my Outy that will accomodate my original hubcaps? That will at least get us on the road by next weekend hopefully. I think my axles will suffice for a bit yet. I'll try to post a few pics on here if I can work my way thru it.
Next question.....we are missing our kitchen table setup. I've searched forums/pics till the cows come home and still can't find a good picture of what we are missing. I'll try to post a pic of my kitchen.
Next up, where can I find a good oem rear door for my rear compartment? I'm sure that one will be easy. I've yet to start into my appliances as well as a bunch more questions I'll have for sure, but this will get my feet wet. I'll thank all in advance,....and what a great source of info this forum is. Glad we were welcomed aboard.
Chris and Vicki
Zanesville,OH

Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
overlander/outback/backlash

Chris and Vicki, Looks like you will need some replacement rims. Those split ring rims are dangerous! Don't mess with them at all! Put a chain around them securely and remove the hub caps. The wheel rims you need may still be available from folks here who have torn damaged trailers apart. If not RV scrap yards such as Colaws in Missouri may have them. Are your hub caps held on by clips on the rim or do they grip the dimples on the wheel? You will need to know so you can ask for rims that will work with the caps. The rear hatch cover with locking mechanisms are available from InlandRV.com and VintageTrailerSupply.com. The tires for dual axle trailers vary in quality and style but most radial tires have too flexible sidewalls to be used on trailers. I feel that 8ply bias belted tires give good steady performance on trailers and light trucks. They are of coarse more prone to failures if not maintained properly. But the stiffer sidewalls tend to make the trailer track straighter and sway less. The table is missing as the goucho appears to have been replaced. I don't know if the table was fixed to the wall or if it was a fold down and slide away type but someone here will know. Happy Trails, Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Central Ohio newbys w/65 Outlander ?'s

Greetings Chris and Vicki!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hihosilver2 View Post
First up...tires and wheels. Originals are the 6 ply 7.00 x 15 bias on split rims. I've done a bit of searching on the wheel/tire forum which sure can make your head swim. Anyone using the Yokahama RY215 tire out there? A bit pricey at 150.00 from my dealer, but might be my choice if I go in the radial direction at all. Or Primex? as my bias choice.
I have run Good Year Marathon ST 225 75 R15 Load Range D tires on my Overlander since 1995 with excellent results. By replacing the tires every fifth season, I have been able to avoid any trouble with blowouts or flats. I have run the same tire on my Minuet only in Load Range C sincd 2003 with equally good results.

Quote:
Maybe more important still is WHERE can I find the correct wheel for my Outy that will accomodate my original hubcaps? That will at least get us on the road by next weekend hopefully. I think my axles will suffice for a bit yet. I'll try to post a few pics on here if I can work my way thru it.
For safety sake, I would suggest going with new rims rated for trailer duty. The specifications typically listed for Airstreams are: 15" x 6", zero offset, 3.5" center hole, 6 lug on 5.5", and a weight carrying capacity of at least 2,600 pounds. If your tire dealer is anything like mine, he will have a large selection of wheels that he can obtain in very short order - - in fact, I was just at my neighborhood tire dealer on Thursday, and he had a chrome rim with baby moons that would have been tempting for me before I purchase a set of alloy rims for my Overlander.

Quote:
Next question.....we are missing our kitchen table setup. I've searched forums/pics till the cows come home and still can't find a good picture of what we are missing. I'll try to post a pic of my kitchen.
Next up, where can I find a good oem rear door for my rear compartment? I'm sure that one will be easy. I've yet to start into my appliances as well as a bunch more questions I'll have for sure, but this will get my feet wet. I'll thank all in advance,....and what a great source of info this forum is. Glad we were welcomed aboard.
Chris and Vicki
Zanesville,OH
Since 1965 was a transition year where some features of earlier models were maintaine while other were replaced with features that would be standard in future years. From the appearance of the tether point in your front living room, my guess is that your coach originally was equipped with a stand-alone drop-leaf dining table as were the earlier Overlanders. The photos below are of the original table that came with my '64 Overlander (the table has been restored with a new solid oak top):

The factory tie-down below the streetside living room window was used to anchor the table for travel using an elastic strap - - today, I use a bungee cord to connect the tie-down points.

As mentioned in an earlier post, both Inland RV and Vintage Trailer Supply carry reproduction compartment doors. Another option would be to try Colaw's in Carthage Missouri as they will ocassionally have vintage trailers in their salvage yard.

You might find a 1965 owners manual to be helpful in understanding the operation of the appliances and accessories on your coach. The owners' manuals were only in their second year and were somewhat rudimentary in comparis to what we would expect today. Reproductions of these manuals are available from Airstream at this link. The original owner of your coach would have been provided with a manilla envelope containing operation manuals for many of the applicances installed in the coach in addition to the owners' manual. Today, you can find pdf files of a number of these manuals on the Vintage Airstream Club website - - and you will find that there are often members of the Forum who will make a pdf copy of their appliance specific manuals if asked.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Welcome to AirForums - always good to see another Ohio member. The photo archive here might help you some.

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

There are a billion threads about tires here. We're running these - the Ohio warehouse is in Grove City if I recall. We did buy the replacement warranty with ours.

Shopping Cart - Discount Tire Direct

If you like the ones you've found - go for it.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Welcome to the Forums and Our Ohio Gang. We are a very informal and diverse group of all ages. Im sure you will fit rite in. Stay tuned here for we usually post Ohio Activities here. There is a TON of expertise here so DON'T be afraid to ask a question,no matter how stupid YOU may think it is, the only stupid question is the ONE you don't ask.
Hope to see you out on the road this yr.
PS
Please LOSE those split rim wheels they are dangerous and good luck with your new project.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Zanesville , Ohio
I want to thank all that replied! Ed, Kevin, Gary, Roger,...thanks for the info. After alot of searching the archives I decided on a set of RY215 Yokohamas. I found them at the Tire Rac and they should be here by Monday. Great place to deal with. I really like their look, profile, and I think they'll give me better service than a bias. I'm still working on a set of rims. Any more ideas as far as a new wheel that has the original clips? I'm guessing I better just look for a good comparable rim that will accept a similar looking moon type rim. Anyone in Ohio have a dealer that can fill that order?
Kevin, beautiful table! I'm in agreement with you on the idea that we originally had a stand alone table. I think I kind of prefer that to the mounted one anyways. Now to find one
And lastly I'm in search of manuals. Many more questions to follow and thanks again.
Chris
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Hi Ohioans

Hello fellow Ohioans! Welcome to a great place to study up on Airstreams of all shapes, sizes and vintage!
We have a great OH bunch here. We hope to get to meet you when you have your rig road worthy and safe to travel. Sounds like you have some good advice already.
Most of us Ohioans post where we are headed for the weekends during camping season. We have little mini rallies all over OH when a few of us get together. We hope that you may get to join us, even if the trailer can't come out to "play" yet.
This is the link to the informal Ohio thread if you have not seen it yet.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...g-50587-4.html

The next big rally is the Alumapalooza at Jackson Center, OH, at the Airstream plant. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...tml#post772234
It is a little pricey to go but there will be a lot of trailers there for you to look at and lots of seminars going on throughout the week. AND you get to see the factory if you want to go.
Hope to see you down the road.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Source for your manual Chris. Looks like 64 or 66 is what's available for the Overlander.

https://store.airstream.com/index.php?cPath=51