Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Center bath door

I have a 1976 31' Sovereign Center bath. Originally there was a sliding door for the entry to the bath, where the shower, sink and toilet are. Small space and the door when closed made it even smaller. So I removed the door and I have never missed it. The hall way between the kitchen and rear bed room with the accordion doors closed provides the privacy needed and extends the usable space of the bath area.

A good while back I saw on the forum that someone had removed the rear wall between the toilet and the hall to even open the space even more. More elbow room while on the throne. This seems to be doable and could be done by working around the sewer vent that runs up the wall in the corner.

I would like to get some input on this project from anyone that has done this or other comments and thoughts from others.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Don:

That may have been me. Check out the Sovereign thread in my signature line.

PM me with your phone number and a good time to call.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I saw one where the owner replaced the door with a pleated cloth curtain on a traverse rod (one with cords that draw the curtain to one side to open and shut. That seems like a good idea to me. The door on mine opens toward the living area so you can just open it and block the view.

The door doesn't really make for "silent" use of the facilities, so a curtain provides nearly the same level of privacy. One suggestion - if you decide to use this solution and have children you might want to safety pin a towel to the inside lining - just so they don't use the curtains to dry their little hands!

Paula