Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Carburetor for 1977 Argosy 28ft. Class A

Hi everyone. We just bought a 77 Argosy motorhome and have been told by the auto mechanic that it could use a new carburetor. Any ideas for where I can find one?
Stephenssg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I am having some trouble with the carb on my 1979 AS MOHO as well. From what I have found so far the quadrajet carb used on AS MOHO's is the same basic carb used on every GM big block from the sixties through the nineties. They are very common and readily available. The trick it seems is finding someone that is knowledgeable about a part that has been made obsolete by modern fuel injection systems.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have rebuilt and tuned dozens. The best is to buy new from Jegs.com for your engine. It will have all linkages and jets to match your motor.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I have tinkered with quardrajets back in the 70's, today I let the pro's do my carb work.
I sent out my last two 77 Quadrajets from my Argosys to Savas Tuning for overhauls.
Savas Tuning Systems - Carburetor Rebuilding and Automotive Repair. The last time was in 2007 and it was about $280 and it still woks fine. When I winter down my 84 Airstream, I will send in its qjet for an overhaul.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
WayneG, thanks for the lead. I'll check them out. How long is the turnaround, in your experience?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Cwf, thanks for the suggestion to go new. Do you know whether installing a new carburetor will impact the rv's antique status?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Gregsch, thanks, it's reassuring to know other Argosy owners have walked this same path. My niece's husband is a willing and able mechanic, so I hope he can do the work. I will check online for the replacement you suggested.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenssg View Post
WayneG, thanks for the lead. I'll check them out. How long is the turnaround, in your experience?
It has been 6 years since I had my last rebuild, Depending on how much needs to be done, the shops backlog and your shipping method, I would expect a minimum of 3 weeks turnaround. It would be best to contact them to see what to expect for repair time. I get mine done when I take it off the road for the winter, so I don't mind if they take their time and go over it thoroughly.
There are other shops out there with fast turnaround, but you should research their quality of work.
Beware of swapping your original carb for a rebuilt, it can difficult to get an exact part number match and I have had gotten some really beat up rebuilds from retail auto parts stores.
If you go that route, keep your original to send for a proper rebuild in the future.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
It has been 6 years since I had my last rebuild, Depending on how much needs to be done, the shops backlog and your shipping method, I would expect a minimum of 3 weeks turnaround. It would be best to contact them to see what to expect for repair time. I get mine done when I take it off the road for the winter, so I don't mind if they take their time and go over it thoroughly.
There are other shops out there with fast turnaround, but you should research their quality of work.
Beware of swapping your original carb for a rebuilt, it can difficult to get an exact part number match and I have had gotten some really beat up rebuilds from retail auto parts stores.
If you go that route, keep your original to send for a proper rebuild in the future.
Carbs are generally considered wear items. So that is why I buy new. I remove carb and disassemble. This allows me to verify internals to order proper carb. Sometimes I get wrong part so I swap till it is correct.

If uncomfortable with this process, take it to an old "speed shop" and deal directly with them for advice and "service"...aaaahhhh, how I miss that word...

I would also have current one, which is hopefully original and send for professional rebuild.

Since it is hard to know if original was modified, proceed carefully.

To assist, here is place with info to help identify exactly what you have
http://quadrajetparts.com/

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t...jet-index.html

Here is excerpt from site 2 above:
"Identification There are three basic types of QJet: the original 4M (starting in 1965), M4M (1975 onward) and E4M (from 1979). All QJets had automatic chokes, of which there are two basic types - integral (choke coil on the carb) and remote (choke coil on the manifold). 4MV carbs have the choke coil on the manifold and 4MC carbs have it on the side of the carb in a housing. An M4MC carb has a choke coil on the carb; and M4ME carb has the same type fo choke coil, but with an electric heater element in the choke coil.

Choke parts, primary metering rods and throttle shafts are not interchangeable between 4M and M4M carbs."

Obviously rebuilding by professional is ideal.... Just floating options...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Thanks, everyone. Such helpful information. You guys really know your stuff, and I appreciate your taking the time to help a novice!