Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Carbon monoxide detector/alarm replacement

My factory installed CO detector has bit the dust (2010 model year).

I am going to replace it and am looking for alternatives. The tangle is to find one that mounts similarly so I don't have to drill new holes in the wall. It is mounted in the bedroom like the majority are these days.

I do not want to put the same one back since it appears that the factory uses less than best for this and the smoke alarm. I also had to replace the smoke alarm recently and found the factory installed unit at Wal-Mart for $3.97!! I did not replace it in kind either!

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is no guarantee that a more expensive one will actually be any better. You might look to see if Consumers Reports has any recent tests/evaluations of CO detectors to see what might be a good one. There is no way to judge them otherwise. They all should meet some standard, but what that is, and how well it is met is a question I sure could not answer. BTW, as I recall, CO detectors have a limited life to begin with, and some "fail" by turning the alarm on after a certain time period (several years) so they are replaced, rather than siting there silent, but not working properly.

Holes in the wall can be covered, or a plate installed under the replacement unit to mount the new one on.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't know if your detectors are the same as mine in my 2005 Safari, which are still working fine. I have heard that sprays like hair, bug, scented, and cleaners will destroy the sensors in these. [possible causes]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Are you sure it's dead? I thought mine was until I pulled the fuse to power it down. When I put the fuse in it came up just fine.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
Are you sure it's dead? I thought mine was until I pulled the fuse to power it down. When I put the fuse in it came up just fine.
Carbon monoxide detector with a fuse in an Airstream trailer?

Not my 07 International. First Alert battery model. They are designed to stop working after 5 yrs.

I replaced mine with a exact replacement in 2012. It was very hard to find so I will probably change to something else next time I have to replace.
dboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
not fused

The alarm in question is a 9 V battery powered made by Costar, model # 9RV.

The Costar owner's manual (in the Airstream bag) says, "Costar 9RV is the only retail alarm approved for Uncconditioned Space such as the Garage, RV, Basement and attic." By the way, they don't reveal approved by whom.

This model is available from Amazon for $38 but I am wondering if someone has found a better solution. By the way, the reviews/ratings it gets on Amazon indicate the durability is in question and that I can concur with.

Air #64439
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
UL Standard

There is evidently a specfic standard for RV CO alarms. From the UL website:

UL evaluates and Lists CO alarms intended for use in recreational vehicles (RVs) and areas such as garages or attics where dampness, humidity and temperatures aren't as controlled as in the living space of the home. CO alarms used in these areas comply with additional requirements designed to address the special conditions often present in these environments.

So after some more research, it appears prudent to be sure to buy a replacement that is rated for RV service. This does appear to limit the choices available and also the suppliers.

Air #64439