Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Clarkston , Washington
Caravel photograph?

Hi all,

I own a 1968 17' Caravel and would like to restore the wastewater system to something close to original. Can anyone provide me a photo of the underside (rear) of a similar Caravel in original condition? I would especially like to see the the black and grey waste water valves - location, angles, etc.

Thank you very much!

fred
Clarkston, WA.
fdole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi,

Welcome to the forums! Hope somebody can provide a photograph as you requested.

Note that in 1968, Airstreams didn't have greywater tanks. The dump valve controlled the outlet of the blackwater tank and the greywater came into the sewer outlet line after the dump valve. Greywater was drained directly to the sewer (in a full hookup campsite) or onto the ground, usually through a length of garden hose.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
In the Caravel section here I posted a complete info post on the changing of a black tank. Check around....the info is here already.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The black tank sat directly under the toilet on the floor. It emptied straight though. So, if you look it the toilet you could look straight out. The vavle sat below the floor in the belly pan. The handle pull was in the bumper compartment. The gray water teeed into the 4" below the vavle and went straigh out. No gray tank. Use a blue boy. Hope that helps.
regards, Dave
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Clarkston , Washington
Thanks so much for the replies. I will be replacing the aluminum under the shower, and lowering the black tank bayonet to match. At the same time I will add a bayonet for a blue-boy. I am trying to figure out how all this will look when complete, and what components to purchase. In addition to your comments I am finding some helpful information on YouTube - particularly about the aluminum skin. I have previously posted photos of the underside as it now exists, and will post photos of the finished project when complete. I want to do things to enhance the trailer - and not hurt anything!

All my best!

fred
fdole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel