Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Can you seal wheel wells with undercoat, ziebart or rhino liner? Or why not?

I see others have water leaks into interior at wheel wells, so can yo clean, caulk and seal with commercial undercoat, ziebart, or rhino liner type products? Or why not? Thanks
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post
I see others have water leaks into interior at wheel wells, so can yo clean, caulk and seal with commercial undercoat, ziebart, or rhino liner type products? Or why not? Thanks
As I recall the wheel wells are 2 pieces, an outer ABS well and an inner plastic (maybe ABS). I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a bed liner type paint after cleaning and sealing. I used bed liner on some of my frame parts, as have many others on this site, with good results.

Let us know how it turns out
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
To line or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post
On my '65 Overlander renovation, we plan on sealing underside of metal fender wells with some type of rubberized liner. I have already sealed the metal fender wells against the floor on the inside with Tempro sealant. First, I treated the wood with a deep penetrating epoxy that soaks completely through the wood to turn it into a piece of resin board four inches out from fender well.

I have already thrown away the ABS plastic which were broken and unusable. I do not plan on replacing these and instead am going to spray some sealant, line with 6mil plastic, seal with spray sealant again and then start my wood work from there.
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
where did you get your deep penetrating epoxy? I got new subfloor going in my 72 this week and would like to treat them.
walleye001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
I ordered it off Amazon and it came from a boat supply house. I will go look exactly where it came from at first light
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote