Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by caperjoe View Post
Maybe a hitch installed on the front of truck with a T bar. This would allow you to move kayaks forward.
This would be the best solution. We have a 20' Necky Tofino that I would like to take. If we do, I will go with a front receiver and 'T'.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Before I bought my first Airstream, I had a fifth-wheel trailer and two 15' kayaks. To transport those boats, I put a single-bar rack on the truck cab and had a front rack fabricated at a local welding shop. It attached to the front bumper of my F-250 at the points where the tow-hooks were located. This set-up worked quite well with the 5th wheel and would certainly allow sufficient clearance for an Airstream. I now carry the 15 footers on the fiberglass cap of my extended cab, long-bed and it works very well.

As mentioned before, even if you could put a rack on the AS roof, how would you get them up and down from there? It is difficult enough to get my 32-pound boats off and on my truck!

Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
I use a Thule system of single adjustable rack in bed and roof rack. I can carry my 16' Old Town canoe as shown, and I also have carried canoe and 12' kayak. With Canoe, I tie down the front to hood latches I purchased on Amazon and rear to bumper. Plenty room for 17' also, and you could either use the front T as suggested, or tie front down to bumper. My kayaks don't move around, but Canoe does shift so tying front and rear is important. I leave the tri-fold cover on, as shown, and strap down my cargo with cargo net. This system works well for us, however, there are times (rain) where I wish I had a covered bed with racks built in on top, like Lear. When we go full time in couple years, likely will move to that system; you can store more gear out of the weather, plus haul your boating equipment and other things on that racking system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canoe & F150 racks system.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	251824  
Old 11-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'd like to bring my17' Grumman canoe along too....keep the aluminum theme going. I have a Ram 2500 long bed...thought about adding racks to the cap that's on it, but it'd still cantilever out the front a lot. Thought about a cab mounted roller, or one off the front bumper.

The Grumman isn't quite as flat on top as the Old Town, but it might work. Don't want to beat the truck all up.... but would like to bring it.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Something that none of the other fine posters mentioned was that even if you get a stellar rack system on top of your Airstream, you'll be faced with two dilemmas: getting those big kayaks up and down without damaging the trailer or yourself, and then getting the kayaks to the launch after you make camp. Wow that's a lot of work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post

I've attached pics of my rig- I haul up to 4 kayaks at a time with my Airstream hooked up. I've got a pretty extensive Thule system that works great for solo kayak loading. You should see me preen when I get compliments on my rack!

With the extra-wide bars, I load from the side when I can draft some (tall) assistance. Going solo, the kayaks go up and down from the back over the rollers. The boat on the driver's side is a Tarpon 160, 16 feet long. I bring along a 3-step stool ladder that I got from Home Depot for $30.

Oddly enough, the back of the truck still gets filled up with gear even though I have that big Airstream with me. Keeping the quad cab empty is good for stuffing paddlers into when running shuttles.

Better go get those boats down from yesterday's jaunt in the Everglades...

PS: Maybe you should bring your new rig down to Florida this winter and check out what paddling in paradise is like! I'm tired of being the one required to class-up the campgrounds all by myself! PM me for details...
Getting the kayaks or canoe on/off is not an issue typically for us as we don't need to use these till after we set up the trailer...then it's easy-peazy on/off standing in bed and standing on side boards below the door.. Key we have found, is getting "light weight" kayak or canoe's....my canoe weighs in at 84 lbs....had I done it again, I would have spent a few hundred more and got a lighter weight model...it is very taxing on the wife loading this thing by herself! LoL
Old 11-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Gig Harbor , Washington

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447475151.031634.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	252026
Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Gig Harbor , Washington

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447475286.724673.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	252027
Old 11-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
gypsydad,

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "hood latches". It would be nice to find something other than my tow hooks to tie down the front of the kayaks. After reading a few horror stories of wrecked kayaks resulting from not being secured to the vehicle (in addition to the rack), I always tie down by both bow and stern. I would appreciate a description of those latches.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
gypsydad,

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "hood latches". It would be nice to find something other than my tow hooks to tie down the front of the kayaks. After reading a few horror stories of wrecked kayaks resulting from not being secured to the vehicle (in addition to the rack), I always tie down by both bow and stern. I would appreciate a description of those latches.
We do not tie down front/rear the kayaks, but we do tie down the canoe front and rear. We mount the kayaks upside down with the openings covered with secure kayak opening covers from Amazon. It works well for us as they do not extend as far as the canoe over the front. Here is the link for the tie downs for the hood we use for canoes. I link them through where the hood hinge is on either side up close to the wipers. I leave them there year around and just the loops hang out or I can tuck them inside the hood by the hinge on my F150. I also use the Pro rope tie down below also for nose tied to these hood latches shown. I secure the rear of the canoe to the trailer hitch mount area. It keeps the canoe tight, and no noise from whipping wind....works well for us.
Amazon.com : Sherpak Quick Loops (Pair) : Boat Trailer Tie Downs : Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/ProGrip-402400...5H1FHZFXXM2GCX