Old 06-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Rochester , MN
Can I pick your brain?

This may be a long post, so please stay with me!
About 3 years ago my husband and I bought a 1972 31í Sovereign. It was in good shape, but we knew something that old would require a fair amount of upkeep. My husband is a handy guy, so we werenít intimidated by this. What we didnít know was that shortly after making our purchase he would have several strokes that left him with severe brain injuries. Even the simplest projects leave him stymied these days.
We parked the trailer on a permanent spot at a campground, hoping we would still be able to enjoy it. Last fall, I carelessly allowed my husband and a friend go without me to do the winterizing. Unfortunately, they didnít do a very good job and all the pipes froze up. Now when we try to fill the water tanks, the water runs out of the pipes. To get it fixed we will have to take it to the repair shop about 40 miles away. I have no idea what it will take to fix it, but Iím sure it will be expensive.
At this point Iím ready to just sell it without the repair. My husband insists we do the repair and then sell it. Iím afraid we will never recoup the money and maybe a handy person would rather save a couple thousand dollars and do the work themselves.
As Airstream owners and wanna be Airstream owners, what is your opinion?
Thanks for any input!
Sharie

Sharie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
If you are OK with a $2,000 discount, I'd price it that way and see if it sells. If it doesn't, or a prospective buyer insists on an even larger discount that you aren't OK with, then you can always have it repaired and then market it.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My thought is that you are correct. Sell it as it is. Anybody that buys it needs to be looking for a project any way and the plumbing is one of the easier things to correct. At least that is the way I would look at it if I was buying.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Yes, you would be lucky to break even on the repair expense.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Sorry to hear about your husbands health and I hope for a full recovery.

You maybe looking at $2000 tops or as little as $1000, but get an estimate. If it is with in your means to fix it then make the repairs and then you will be able to sell if you want without any apologies to the prospective buyer, or you may decide to keep it and enjoy.

Don't quit on anybody or anything because you never know what God has for you.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Can I pick your brain?

Sell it as is, and don't discount it too much.

A person like me knows that plumbing on these old trailers often needs replaced, and if isn't that hard to do with PEX.

I replaced all of the fresh water plumbing on my 75 Sovereign in one day.

In other words for a person like me, who sees an otherwise nice Sovereign won't see the plumbing problem as a big deal.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, have someone check it out first and get an estimate for the repair. You might have several burst pipes or maybe only one. Best to inform any potential buyer of the problem and go from there with the price.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, have someone check it out first and get an estimate for the repair. You might have several burst pipes or maybe only one. Best to inform any potential buyer of the problem and go from there with the price.

Agree, that should be your first step!!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharie View Post
. . .
Thanks for any input!
Sharie
Welcome to the forum!

Good advice so far.

FYI there is a process here for finding a local Airstream inspector, who might be willing to stop by and advise you. On the right edge of the Portal page [grey tab at top left]:

http://www.airforums.com/

. . . you can choose your state and get a list of trailer inspectors, some of whom might live near you.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
You don't have all the facts to make a reasonable decision. At least you need several independent estimates of the cost of repair.

Furthermore, if you chose to have the repair made, you would eliminate some serious issues about selling the trailer with its defect, namely, how much will it cost to repair, can it truly be "repaired?", and will the new buyer be faced with all the hassle of getting the repair made and for how much $$$? and how much time lost?

I certainly agree that it would be easier for the seller to sell the trailer as-is. It would be easier for the buyer to buy the trailer absent any need for repairs. In my opinion, it all boils down to how much you value your time, your money, and your ease of disposing of your trailer --- what you value most and what you're willing to compromise about. There is no "right answer." It all depends on you and your desires and values.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Selling "as is" eliminates most debates with a prospective buyer about things you will or will not fix, which can be a slippery slope IMO.

Say you fix the plumbing leaks . . . are you going to guaranty that there will not be any new leaks for the next 6 months? In an older trailer, fittings can let go for no reason unrelated to the freeze damage. No point in you having to cover this, or being forced to debate it.

Good suggestions to get estimates for repairs, and let the buyer take it from there.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sharie--Welcome to the Forums!

The fundamental first question I would ask is: you are planning to sell this trailer, imagine you had done so before the water sytem got damaged--how much would you ask for it?

Has this trailer ever had any major work done to it (ie., sub-floors patched or replaced, axles replaced, grey tanks retrofitted, appliances upgraded, etc.)? What I am getting at is that most trailers that are approaching 50 years old are in need of a complete rebuild, if that work hasn't already been done. It sounds like for at least the last three years, you have not made much use of the trailer, so it could have developed rotten floors in that time if a leak went unnoticed.

My point is, this trailer may be a restortation project just waiting for a taker, and the burst water pipes are just one item on a long laundry list of things that need to be fixed. You could fix the water system, but then what about that soft spot in the floor under the rear cabinetry, the rusting frame rails, the leaking window seals, the mouse smell coming from the pantry, etc..

At the end of the day, I would say that unless the rest of the trailer is fairly pristine, and ready to hit the open road and go camping, I would leave any and all repairs to the buyer, who is ready to take on the big project.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Very well said Belegedhel.

Sharie, are you still monitoring things here?

You might enjoy reading The Love Shack thread, for its insights into the scope to which a renovation can go, without much warning.
Also . . . the author has a great sense of humor.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

Good luck,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharie View Post
. . .
Thanks for any input!
Sharie