Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Los Angeles , California
Can anyone in Los Angeles help me with leaks?

Hi forum,

I discovered some leaks at both ends of my "52 Silver Streak Clipper after yesterday's rain. I do not know how to determine where they are coming from and fix them.

The trailer is empty inside getting ready for a renovation and I was actually hoping to paint the interior today. Not anymore, sadly.

Is there anyone with experience in my area that would kindly take a look and advice? Or can you recommend an affordable shop that may take care of it?

ANY help is appreciated.

-TM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	225499   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	225500  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	225501  
Titomelega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I can't seem to locate the exact thread, but the copy of it I have shows how to use a furnace blower to make a "sealtech" machine, i.e., to pressurize the AS. Then, by spraying soapy water on the seams, you can locate the leaks.

--------- QUOTE -----------
We have been getting ready for another Big Adventure and one of the items on "The List" was to find a stubborn leak.

Being lazy and wanting to try a new home-made gadget...I did a DIY pressure leak test...

220V blower out of an old central heater, some duct tape, a bucket and some wood...

SUCCESS!

I didn't even have to tape the stove vent...air was whistling and howling from everywhere and there was still enough static pressure to find the leaks. Now that I think about it, the bathroom vent is was open!

too easy...
Attached Thumbnails
--------------------- END QUOTE ----------

I can't seem to locate the exact posting, but I plan on buying a 400-cfm blower and attaching it to some plywood which I will place over an open storage bin. This will slightly pressurize the cabin and by using a spray bottle with soapy water, I'll spray the seams looking for the tell-tale bubbles that indicate a leak (remember how you fixed inner-tubes of flat tires). I figure I can assemble one of these contraptions for about $125 - far less than what you would pay to have it done at an RV dealer who has the machine (priced at about $150/hr) or to buy a real seal-tech machine - about $3,500.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Los Angeles , California
Thank you for this! I really appreciate having taken the time to answer.

I never heard of SealTech before. In reading about it, I can't figure out how the machine works and what I need to do inside the trailer to create the pressure needed.

I have a very strong fan a home from a commercial size bouncer house. I think I could use this. What else would I have to do inside the trailer besides placing the blower in it? There were mentions of buckets and holes on bed frames on other threads but no idea what the principals behind it is.

Would appreciate some clarity from the forum.

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, think of finding a leak in a bicycle tire. You pump it up and lower it in a tank of water and look for bubbles.

You want the fan on the outside of your trailer with the discharge blowing into the trailer interior.

Sealtec method does essentially the same thing. You will want to find an exterior window or storage compartment door that you can mount that big fan from your bounce house. Set the fan on a box, ladder, scaffolding, or something that matches the height needed.

Then you will make a shield around the discharge nozzle of the fan that you can tape to your trailer's exterior skin. I would think cardboard would work. The idea is to "blow up" or pressurize your trailer by blowing in outside air. Shut all the windows and doors, tape up the vents on the roof, e.g. fridge vent, and turn on the fan. I don't know how your trailer is made, but you will want the pressurized air to migrate between the interior and exterior skins.

Now get a bucket with some bubbly dish wash soap and a paint brush. Systemically go over every seam, window frame, and rivet. Splash on the soapy water solution and look for bubbles.

I'm glad to hear you are getting a little rain in southern California. You folks are in a hellish drought.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Los Angeles , California
Fantastic. Thank you for the tips.