Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Buying out of state

I am looking to buy a trailer and am looking at some soon in a neighboring state. If I buy, I will get a notarized title. But it may be on the weekend when the bmv is closed. I don't think the trailers currently have tags.
Is there a way to get a temporary license to take it home or will I have to decide on picking it up after I get my title in my home state (which may invoke a visual inspection of the RV causing all sorts of issues) or stick an expired car tag I have and hope for the best?

What have you done in the past?

I have about a two hour drive home.
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Hopefully someone in OH will help with state-specific info, but TX offers 2 possibilities. One is a temporary tag within a date range, the other is a "one way tag" that is good for your approximate route home. I picked up a one-way tag on a Friday to go fetch the trailer on a weekend.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The very best way to know the answer to your question is to go to the local Ohio DMV and ask them what to do and how to do it. Every state has different rules, policy, and process. For transport of the trailer out of the state of purchase, the best thing is to do the same, go to a DMV in the other state and ask.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I live in Mississippi.
I bought my trailer in Arkansas.
That particular dealer put a "drive-out" or temporary tag on the trailer.
I went on 2 camping trips (1 trip was a week and a half) with that tag.
I bought the "real" plate the day before late fees would be assessed.
NEVER EVER transfer plates from another vehicle! That will cause you more trouble!
On the trip home you will have paperwork (Bill of Sale, Application for Title) to prove you just bought it. If you are (and you most likely won't be) pulled over, show this paperwork to the officer. I'm sure you have x number of days to register it. Here it is 5 working or business days (Monday-Friday) from the time the Application for Title is completed.
We had a 4 hour drive home, then went to a campground an hour away. After that, we went on an 8-9 hour trip to a rally in Texas- across 2 state lines- all before I got the paperwork and registered the trailer.
We never had any trouble. I guess the "drive out" or temporary tag was sufficient. We only drove 55-60 mph the whole trip. If you don't speed, run a stop sign or red light, or hit anything you will be OK.
Go ahead and get you that new shiny silver trailer and enjoy it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I'm involved in a similar process, with the extra complication of importing into Canada. Here's what I've been told regarding purchasing in Virginia, and registering in another state (or country).

1. Title is signed over. Re-titling in the purchase state would/may involve paying state tax.

2. Insure the trailer for the same day the title is signed over. Separate policy for collision/theft/fire. Liability insurance is generally covered by the tow vehicle.

3. 30 day temporary transfer certificate is provided by state of purchase (in the case of Virginia ... this may vary state to state).

4. Take it home, pay state (or provincial) tax and register. Inspection may be necessary.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Waterville , Minnesota
We bought ours out of state, and had similar problems with plates. What we finally did was the PO plates stayed on the vehicle and the title was signed by me BUT it was retained by PO until I sent the plates back to him, and he then sent the signed title to me.
Bait guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
In Kansas I was able to buy a temporary tag food for 30 days from the transaction date. Check your DMV but I bet they have an option.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Also check about the states that are offering NO sales tax. The current issue of the "Blue Beret" (WBCCI) magazine has a good article about it. It is written by a lawyer, the legal writer for the magazine. In three words "DON"T DO IT" the fine is expensive.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
I'm involved in a similar process, with the extra complication of importing into Canada. Here's what I've been told regarding purchasing in Virginia, and registering in another state (or country).

1. Title is signed over. Re-titling in the purchase state would/may involve paying state tax.

2. Insure the trailer for the same day the title is signed over. Separate policy for collision/theft/fire. Liability insurance is generally covered by the tow vehicle.

3. 30 day temporary transfer certificate is provided by state of purchase (in the case of Virginia ... this may vary state to state).

4. Take it home, pay state (or provincial) tax and register. Inspection may be necessary.
Once you have made your purchase of a vehicle in the US, you need to contact the port of export that you will pass through when returning to Canada. In my case, I purchased both a truck and my Airstream in the US. US Export Control required me to send them the original bill of sale and the original title document; they said that they need to have these in their hands 3 full business days before you will permitted to remove them from the US.

When you arrive at Export Control (Monday to Friday from 0800 to 1600 only), they will inspect the truck and trailer to ensure that the VIN numbers all match – I had this 4-foot by 4-foot rotund female agent scurrying around checking the VIN plates on the doorposts, at the windshield and the Airstream plate on the trailer. They will then stamp these documents and you can then cross into Canada.

On arriving into Canada, you will be required to complete the Form 1; this applies to trailers as well as motorized vehicles. The Form 1 determines whether you will have to also deal with the Registrar of Import Vehicles (RIV). In my case, the trailer was exempt but the truck was not. One of the data requirements for the Form 1 is the date of manufacture of the trailer or truck, and, in the case of the Airstream trailer, this is on the manufacturer’s plaque where the serial number is stamped. Canada Customs will assess and collect the GST and stamp the Form 1. This stamped Form 1 is now your temporary license (valid for 45 days) to permit you to complete the other requirements: Transport Canada requirements (daytime running lights, metric speedometer, etc) and provincial requirements (safety check, E-test, propane certification in the case of motorhomes). The RIV inspection (the fee for which was paid by you when you completed the on-line RIV form and is linked to the serial number of the Form 1) is done at any Canadian Tire Service Center, and they will fax it into RIV. With the sheaf of papers thusly acquired, you now visit your local license bureau, pay the applicable provincial sales taxes and get your plates. RIV will shortly thereafter send you a sticker to place on the doorpost of the vehicle indicating that it has been properly imported into Canada.

Actually, it isn’t rocket science, but there are plenty of opportunities for frustration if you deviate from the prescribed procedure.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I also had to have insurance before I picked up my trailer.
I had to provide proof of insurance via fax or email.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Don't ever drive a mile without insurance. My sister drove home a new to her SOB and tire blew out inside 9 miles from home, insurance covered it.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Both of my purchases were out of state I handled everything at the AAA office they are great and OPEN SATURDAYS!
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I was told by the RIV people that importing a trailer to Canada will only involve the Canadian Customs people, no need to let them know you're coming. Must have all paperwork though, bill of sale/title and a letter from Airstream stating that all recall work has been completed on the trailer.

When importing a motorized vehicle to Canada, the US Customs get involved as stated above.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
I spoke with my agent. As long as my car is covered I get a minimal level of coverage which should be roughly equal to the purchase price I plan on paying. Also spoke with the state license bureau. They told me to use the old plates and drive home, they don't offer a temp tag and I can't get the title because I don't live there. My home state won't let me get the tags or title until they do a visual inspection to match the vin. Looks like I will be heading home, if I buy it, with old plates from the seller and mail them back to them, or just ride without and work a fine into my purchase price.
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #15

2007 25' Safari FB SE
City , Florida
I purchased from PA and pulled back to FL
I spoke to FL DMV prior to trip and they didn't support a temp tag for this purpose
I was told by Florida Highway Patrol Office to ensure I have Notarized Bill of Sale and Proof of Insurance and if I get stopped present both to officer
I was lucky and didn't have to present same to any officer but I also ended up with the (expired) tag from seller
I'll mail the tag back when I get the title in a few days and can tag it myself.
I assume the expired tag served the purpose of avoiding an obvious missing tag while driving many miles
Please don't put another vehicle tag on your used trailer just to 'get by' - that's illegal and you're better off w/ no tag, notarized bill of sale and proof of insurance
Good Luck!
pcolabchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
I was told by the RIV people that importing a trailer to Canada will only involve the Canadian Customs people, no need to let them know you're coming. Must have all paperwork though, bill of sale/title and a letter from Airstream stating that all recall work has been completed on the trailer.

When importing a motorized vehicle to Canada, the US Customs get involved as stated above.
That is correct. The US involvement is for motorized vehicles, but if there is also a trailer, they will want all the documentation.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote