Old 03-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
ggm

Durham , North Carolina
Buying an older Airstream?

I am thinking about buying an older Airstream for use in working away from home several months a year. Eating and sleeping only.

Two questions:

I have heard that some RV parks do not allow older trailers. Does that apply to Airstreams?

And

If you plan on replacing the axle and brakes are there other big safety issues and about what's a rough ball park?

Any other useful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

ggm

Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We are glad to have you with us.

There are many very good older Airstreams out there looking for a new home for a decent price. Start looking right here in the Forums Classifieds and branch out from there. Every trailer is so different, it's hard to comment on what will need replaced or repaired. There are many good Airstreams of the 70's and 80's that are reasonably priced, and ready to roll.

There are some campgrounds that have a 10 year rule, but if you have an Airstream that looks fairly decent on the outside, just lie.

You have found the best source of Airstream information on the planet. The folks here are more than happy to share their expertise. There is also a wealth of past information on file here.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
I love our old gal and would have done it again in a hear beat. I would think if your rig has a black and gray tank why would a rv park mind. So far we have camped and public and private campsites and no problem. We also have a doberman and all is cool to date. Good luck! This is a great site with great members, rallies and ...................
Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Understand this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggm View Post
I am thinking about buying an older Airstream for use in working away from home several months a year. Eating and sleeping only.

Two questions:

I have heard that some RV parks do not allow older trailers. Does that apply to Airstreams?

And

If you plan on replacing the axle and brakes are there other big safety issues and about what's a rough ball park?

Any other useful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

ggm
ggm,
You are obsessively in your search and, a season camper, I feel..
Do your self a favor...Don't bring up the issue and, in 99% of the cases, the rest will not know the difference..As long as you keep your unit looking clean..Just enjoy..
This question is so similar to...Can I park for free at WalMart or do I have to ask for permission..
Use your common sense..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The places with the 10 year rule are generally "resorts" that cater to the Prevost crowd. They charge a lot per night and can be very snobbish. If you're going to use the Airstream for work, you wouldn't want to stay in one because they are expensive. They might not know how old an Airstream is since to many people they all look the same. Watch out for campgrounds with "Resort" in the name. Ours is an '08, but we avoid those places. They have amenities we don't care about anyway such as shuffleboard.

Gene
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! Lots to learn here!

When you say "older" you might give a clue what that means to you. To those of us who are Senior Citizens.... "older" is very different than someone in their 30s.

Basically, read through information about what to look for in a Airstream... the older they are the more likely they need a new axle, need electrical upgrades, and floor repair. With the economy like it is today.... you should find a very usable trailer in good condition ready to roll if you do your homework! Start your search online, check out rallies that might be near you and go visit one! Folks love to show their 'streams at a rally and you can talk to real owners and get the lowdown! I'd start with a price range and size in mind and work your way from there!

Ask questions away, folks here are great to help out!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blogs: Yreka History
Siskiyou County Camping
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
ggm

Durham , North Carolina
Thanks for the kind and useful comments. I looked at a 1973 Land Yacht yesterday that seem to have a good hull except for a 45 cal. hole on one side, but there were too many problems inside. They only wanted $3000, but there were so many things that would have been huge time sink holes bothering with even if the parts or material did not cost that much.

ggm