Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
1st Airstream

2016 19' International
Athens , Georgia
Bumper Screw for 2016 19' Int. Sig.

This is my first post to this fine forum after years of reading and dreaming of being an Airstream owner. Now I finally own "Edi"--a 2016 International Signature 19C which I purchased from Colonial AS in NJ.

I towed Edi home to Georgia over several days and through some pretty scary weather and road conditions without incident...UNTIL I got to my driveway. In my delirium from little sleep and haste to dodge the next rain storm, I pulled into my across-the-street neighbor's inclined driveway in hopes of straightening out a bit to better back into my own drive. I heard the scrape as the bumper dragged and my heart sank. Alas, my Edi, has a frowning bumper.

Several days later, my brother broke the head off of the top mounting screw for the bumper. ( I guess he thought he might bend the bumper back with his own strength? Wish he would have asked me first or at least apologized afterwards! Little sister problems. ) So I have been on a search for the appropriate replacement screw ever since.(See photos attached)

Bumper screws are not listed in the AS International Parts Book. So far, two Airstream dealerships have had no luck in getting the part. They both ended up with a similar machine screw, but the diameter of the head was too small. Airstreamsupply.com and its various affiliates don't have it listed.

Has anyone else successfully tracked this elusive bumper screw? Any suggestions on where to continue looking?

Also, is there a particular metal I should look for/avoid in searching non-AS specific screws?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	346064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	346065  

Attached Images

Old 07-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
When I'm searching for pieces like that, I go to Ace Hardware (there is one in my neighborhood).

The store has a section of nuts, bolts, snap this and snap that, stuff I have no idea what it does.

You might get lucky at Ace.

Aisle 9 at my Ace has yet to let me down.

Far better selection than at the boxes, and there is always someone ready to help.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
1st Airstream

2016 19' International
Athens , Georgia
After more than a month of looking, Colonial Airstream's parts department came through with the correct screws. Even they received the wrong part initially from Airstream, but recognized it and reordered. Conversely, the Atlanta Airstream dealer unfortunately cost me time and gasoline to travel to, review and refuse the wrong part. I guess they can't use a measuring tape.

So the most valuable lesson learned was who to call if you need assistance. Once again, Colonial lives up to the hype.