Old 07-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
Bumper Repair

Someone backed into my camper while parked at storage and left this dent in the bumper. The perps left no note, no "sorry", no nothing. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be the best route to repair this dent. The frame is not damaged, just the bumper piece. Thanks.

(Moving to a new storage facility next week.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dent.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	191444  

Chilicook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
I had good results banging out our dented bumper with a dead blow hammer and an old pair of jeans folded up into a pad. The results were not perfect but much improved.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Short of replacing the bumper my suggestion is first remove the bumper. Lay it down outside face down on a soft but firm surface such as concrete. Then using the end of a 2'x2' length of wood against the dent bang the wood on the back side of the bumper starting at the smaller end of the dent along the dent till area is flat.

I hope you could follow the above. It will work but maybe not to eliminate the dent completely but some.
Bill and Janice, We're lovin' it! (Airstreaming)

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1970 18' Caravel
1995 30' Excella
Mulino , Oregon
I use a leather sandbag for backup on top of the wood on the concrete floor and larger hammers ( 24, 48, 60 oz; but in this heavy gage material it takes a LOT of time to avoid stretching and wavy-ness.
Heat straightening works the best but takes a lot of skill, experience and tempil-sticks ( heat crayons) to avoid cracking and brittleness so I do not recommend this for most folks. Some ag equipment dealers ( example John Deere and the like) have folks employed there who are very adept at this if you live rural; same too for some heavy truck/equipment dealers and repair shops.
Sometimes you can find them used at Airstream salvage yards; but price a new one first if they are available for your unit.
wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you know anyone or have access to a 5 ton press you can press it out. Most auto shops have a press to press on rear axle bearings.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote