Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Denver , North Carolina
Brushed Aluminum Blinds

Hello:

We have a 2007 Safari 26 ft and one of the mini blinds got damaged. Does anyone know where to get the blinds ? I tried blinds.com but no help.

Best
Tom
flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Aren't these listed in your owners manual? I'd call Jackson Center if no one knows
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I replaced my two big dinette windows and one tall narrow window by the door with insulated curtains and the old blinds are laying in my basement gathering dust. Which set got damaged?

I'm not home to measure the dimensions right now, but if it's the size you need I'll ship it to you.

Here are a few pictures: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ml#post1100425
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Tom, I don't know where to get replacements for your brushed blinds but when mine break I am going to install the new pull down shades from Oceanair. They are in a lot of the newer airstreams. I contacted Oceanair and here is the contact info if you choose to go that route.

kds

Joseph Tordonato
U.S. Operations
Ext. 108

Oceanair Marine Ltd.
P.O. Box 1727
91 Manchester Valley Road
Manchester Center, VT 05255

Tel: 802.362.5258
Fax: 802.362.5358

Internet: Oceanair - blinds, screens, and soft furnishings for boats, yachts, superyachts, road vehicles,and the home
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Brushed Aluminum Smooth Vertical Blinds from Levolor
I never liked the aluminum blinds in our Safari. I would have replaced them if we had kept the trailer. I found them to be hard to keep clean.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
New blinds

We replaced those aluminum blinds with nice wood ones from Select Blinds, a regular advertiser on this forum. We dealt with the damage prone originals for 4 years, that and the brushed finish that made dusting them hard. The new ones match the cabinetry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	184320  
Old 09-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Do you recall how much it was to replace the aluminum with the wood blinds? I think there are 8 blinds to replace in our 2007 safari.
The aluminum blades have bent in several areas on our blinds.

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I don't recall. But each different window was a different price. Bring up Select blinds web site for an exact quote with the elements you want.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I replaced my two big dinette windows and one tall narrow window by the door with insulated curtains and the old blinds are laying in my basement gathering dust. Which set got damaged?

I'm not home to measure the dimensions right now, but if it's the size you need I'll ship it to you.

Here are a few pictures: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ml#post1100425
Sorry for the delay in responding. I happen to be working in Iraq and my fiancée is visiting her family in FL and the Airstream is in Texas.

I looked on line on the official Airstream 2007 International Parts book and the blinds that are damaged are the back ones folks natural prop themselves up on when they are reading in bed (bad design). Anyway the dimensions are : 25.25" X 24.00".

Also the side window also next to the bed which is just slightly damages is 21.00" X 34.00".

On both these, if your blinds are either 25.25" or 21.00" wide, I can swap our the damaged blinds ( just a couple are bent).

Thanks again for your response and of course,

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Replacing one broken slat in a Venetian blind.

If one or two slats get bent or broken (always happened when they snagged on the window operators) they can be removed and replaced.

Most blinds are cut a little longer than the window, and have two or three slats that never come up off the bottom rail, so that's where you harvest your replacements. Over time, the strings stretch so you may have four or five replacements available.

Study the strings - they form boxes into which the slats are inserted. By twisting the "slant" adjustment, you move one side of the box up and the other down, slanting the blind to control the entrance of light. Additionally there is a center string in the same location as the box that runs down the middle of the blind. This string pulls the blinds completely up and out of the way - and there are two sets of boxes- one on each side of the blind. This center string goes through a piercing in the slat and pulls the bottom rail up, collapsing all of the boxes to store the blind. On the bottom rail there's a plug that the center string goes through.

Lay the blind flat on a table. pry the plug open, pull the center string up and out of all of the slats up until you free the damaged one(s). Pull them out and replace them with unused slats from the bottom of the blind. Rethread the center string, and plug it in. The empty "boxes" at the bottom of the blind can be cut off, as long as you leave enough of a tail to fit into the plug's hole along with the center string. Reassemble the plug and test the tilt and pull up/release of the blind.

Paula