Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Question Brown Insulation

We bought a '76 Sovereign, 31', and there are several rotten areas on the floor and mildew around the windows. There were also lots of mouse droppings and a lovely carcass.

We removed the extra layer of 70s flowery bathroom paneling and found there is a large blank spot in the base paneling around the bathroom window, so we can see the insulation. Much of that insulation is very brown, rather than pink.

It doesn't stink, so is it a problem? Do we need to replace it, or is it still good?

We've already got our work cut out for ourselves, and we don't want to make more work than necessary.

Any informed advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Terry
tdturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
This is my 100th post!!!

Welcome to the forums!

There are a lot of good people and information here. I'm sure you'll find some answers.

This is my 100th post!!!

Brown could mean its just the dust & dirt that can get in there from being so close to the back access panel. Ours has quite a bit of dirt on the insulation back there. Mold or mildew would usually be black or green, and probably smell musty.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdturn2 View Post
We bought a '76 Sovereign, 31', and there are several rotten areas on the floor and mildew around the windows. There were also lots of mouse droppings and a lovely carcass.

We removed the extra layer of 70s flowery bathroom paneling and found there is a large blank spot in the base paneling around the bathroom window, so we can see the insulation. Much of that insulation is very brown, rather than pink.

It doesn't stink, so is it a problem? Do we need to replace it, or is it still good?

We've already got our work cut out for ourselves, and we don't want to make more work than necessary.

Any informed advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Terry
Hey Terry,

Welcome to the forum. Fiberglass based insulation doesn't go bad. It does get dirty, and if mice have been nesting in it you will find all kinds of treasures, and should notice some smells. The odors typically vary with the weather conditions and may not be as noticable at times.

If you have floor rot (common problem) them you probably have some wet insulation areas too. Wet insulation is not an effiecient insulator.

If it were me, I'd replace the insulation where possible just for my own peace of mind. If you're not replacing the whole floor, you can drop the belly skins and get at the areas of interest. Be prepared to be disgusted by what you find though.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I'm with Kevin, drop the belly pan. Clean it out really well. You don't want to be breathing any mouse droppings and If you have found signs of mice, and who hasn't in a old AS, you most likely have a belly pan full of mice condos, be prepared and weara face mask and eye protection.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Just a tip. I you're gonna "drop" the belly pan there's not enough ground clearance to lower the belly panels and work if the trailer is on the ground. I pulled mine up on ramps. The extra 10/12 inches of height lets you access the entire subfloor area, though it is a strech near the axles. Take care to block and chock safely. Be mindfull of all the discusting stuff thats gonna rain down on you as you lower the panels, yuck!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
It is amazing what all is down there,with the bottom panels off the wall,the floor and belly pan out,it was time for the pressure cleaner. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote