Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Berwick , Nova Scotia
Bought a '71 Overlander

Hey Guys,

Just made a deal on this 1971 Overlander for $3500. Looking to do a full restore starting with frame rebuild if necessary (been parked for several years) new axles, rewired, re-plumbed, mid-mount shower, rear bedroom, with a modern interior built in my woodworking shop.

Looking for some pointers on anything and everything as its my first airstream, I'm renovating it to serve as an office for my business but mainly as an RV, so its main function will be recreation, thus I'm not going to do anything to the layout aside from a desk directly across from the door.

I'm only 21, and although I grew up on a farm in the country, and have restored a lot of old houses, I'm still new to the airstream scene.

Looking forward to any input and ideas for a modern interior.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJE0FEq4VI,teBRMBtwPpUg~~48_20.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	180796   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (4).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	180797  

Name:	image (5).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	180798  
CanadaPaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Congratulations! I think your general question is a bit hard to answer at this early stage. My suggestion would be to do what I have been doing for the past 9 mos and that is to poke around the forums. Read all kinds of threads. I am amazed at how much I have learned and had no idea I needed or wanted to know.
I also follow links to restoration blogs and vintage parts shops as well as look through what google offers up to me on interior styles. Lots out there on the internet. All of that searching, reading and looking at pictures helped me to narrow down not only the approximate year and make of trailer I wanted but I also started to develop what I like in interior style. I was able to find the company that is currently remodeling the interior from using the search function on the forum about repair and restoration outfits in my area.
By the way, that looks to be a very nice trailer, especially for the price.
Good luck!
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
OMG, the interior in that trailer was installed upside down!

From the pictures you posted, the interior doesn't look that bad. It seems a shame to tear it all out. Consider as well that the original configuration has the bathroom at the back, it would be a complete gutting frame-off job to properly re-arrange the bathroom / bedroom as you mentioned. Right now, the waste tank and all of the bathroom plumbing including the water heater are at the back. Moving the bathroom mid-ship would require all new plumbing of supply and waste and possibly moving the water heater unless you are OK with the heater under your bed (not great listening to "whoosh" and "bwahhhh" for 5 minutes thereafter as the heater cycles to keep water hot overnight).
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Berwick , Nova Scotia
Hey Guys,

Since my initial plan, I have decided to keep the bathroom at the rear, with a double bed in front of it.

But in other news, we were up and at it before dawn today at the RV park it was located. With a little budging to get it out of its spot, we got it free, only to find out that after sitting at its site for 12 years, the axles turned freely, electric brakes grabbed surprisingly well, and the brake/turn signals worked.

After taking the scenic route back to my shop it finally landed in our yard without any issues. Have it parked right next to the dump trailer for ditching old mattresses and what not. We'll be using the walls and cabinets as templates for the new walls, planning on using birch plywood for bulkheads and cabinets, with oak face frames and doors.

I do have a question on insulation though, I have noticed most people opting for fiberglass when re-insulating, but I saw one guy using 4 or 5 layers of bubble-foil to insulate with, was wondering if anyone has any experience with the R-Value of this compared to fiberglass? I know if it's anywhere close, I'll be opting to not have to have the fiberglass itch for days afterwards!

Thanks again for all the info, here are some pics of us getting it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2242115341.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	588.1 KB
ID:	181212   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2183054698.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	594.7 KB
ID:	181213  

Name:	image-1441482058.jpg