OJs Argosy

1975 Argosy 22
DeLand , Florida
Books on renovation/restoration

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	230286Hi everybody, first post but no where near the last. My girlfriend (Olivia) and I (Justin) just became proud owners of a 1975 22' Argosy this Christmas. We plan on using this trailer as our home for our cross country travels that will involve our dream project/nonprofit. (More information about that to come in another post.). To begin, the shell besides the belly ban which seems to be completely missing, is in great condition. I have found no major or even any minor dents at this point but there is some damage around the door area. The windows are all there and in tact which is a huge relief considering there were no rock guards on them, but there is a little defect with the front center window have a small gap on the right side. (Can see through to the outside, but does not seem to have leaked or must have been covered to keep moisture out.). The inside however is a much different story, needs a total overhaul. The rear head is in disarray including the floor being completely rotted and soft. There might be sag to the rear end too, hard to tell at the moment, need to remove the flooring and some of the head for better examination. Now for my first of many questions, are there any books out there that specifically focus on the restoration or renovation of the Argosy trailers? I know that I can google these keywords and might find something along those lines but I am looking for something someone here has used and had success with. I am very inexperienced with this type of work/project but have always wanted to learn and also have plenty of friends and family with all types of skills that will be helping me. I really want a try and tested book that covers the project start to finish or maybe a series of books that take you through step by step.

On a side note we also own a 1965 Serro Scotty Gaucho named Wall-E that we renovated this fall and just returned from a 4,000 mile round trip out to Santa Fe, New Mexico from Deland, Florida (home base). Was an amazing trip but we sure wished we had the Argosy for the bathroom! Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I am not aware of any step by step "how to" guide for rennovating Airstreams or Argosy trailers, but there are many threads here on the forums that describe members' rennovations from start to finish. There is also a thread that lists many of these "full monty" restorations at the following:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

There is at least one full renovation of an Argosy described at the following:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Really, though, the nuts and bolts of restoring an Argosy are not going to be too different from restoring any other 70's era Airstream, so look at them all.

good luck!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Another resource is the Vintage Airstream Podcast (the VAP). The early episodes discussed a lot of the finding, evaluating, repairing, restoring type of topics. You can buy all the old episodes and listen to them as you commute, etc., to passively absorb Airstream info.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
OJs Argosy

1975 Argosy 22
DeLand , Florida
Thanks for the quick response, and yes I have been scouring the forums and researching all the threads on here. That is unfortunate about there not being anything out there, I like to be able to visually look at pictures and thorough descriptions in a "step by step" form. I might have to just bite the bullet and replace my prehistoric cell phone to a smart phone so I can bring airforums.com out to where the trailer is stored and will be worked on. Thanks again! Still open if anyone has any suggestions for a hard copy reference for either an Argosy or Airstream restoration.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
OJs Argosy

1975 Argosy 22
DeLand , Florida
Anybody ever read or flipped through this book by chance "Restoring a Dream"? Was it any good in terms of showing the restoration in its entirety? Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The author of Restoring a Dream is Tim Shepherd, who is also the host of the Vintage Airstream Podcast. I haven't read the book, but have heard plenty of discussion about it in recent months on the podcast. My impression is that it is not a technical "how-to" resource, as much as it is a sharing of the experience.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Another suggestion is that "shop" manuals are available for trailers from the 1970's and newer. They aren't exactly a step-by-step rennovation guide, but they do go into a lot of detail about how to fix pretty much everything that needs to be fixed, short of a complete shell-off. I found one for my '73 on ebay, but I think you can also get them directly from Airstream.

good luck!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
OJs Argosy

1975 Argosy 22
DeLand , Florida
Thank you, sounds like a good place to start! Plus it might be nice to have around later on too.