Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Black water tank valve stuck open

Just purchased a 2000 31' classic. Nice in all ways except this one. The valve was left open when not used and now it is stuck. Have sprayed lots of water in tank but no success. Any good ideas? Can't use system till we get it closed

Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
You can buy a fitting that will fit on the end of your dump pipe that has it's own shut-off valve and even a hose fitting for back flushing the tank. It will allow you to fill the tank and let it soak to see if you can free the valve. If not, the valve will need to be replaced, but the flush fitting is still a good tool for backflushing when traveling.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Inconvenient, but not that hard to repair. (If the tank is empty it's also a LOT less messy.) There are only 4 bolts that hold the blade valve in place. You can buy easily by a replacement...and be sure and replace the 2 O-rings...use silicone grease on the whole assembly and you will be good to go.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Inconvenient, but not that hard to repair. (If the tank is empty it's also a LOT less messy.) There are only 4 bolts that hold the blade valve in place. You can buy easily by a replacement...and be sure and replace the 2 O-rings...use silicone grease on the whole assembly and you will be good to go.
Thanks for the solution, the tank is flushed and cleaned, how do you get to the valve, it is enclosed in a metal box, I guess the metal pan has to be dropped to access the valves ??? If I drop the pan will replace both valves.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
, OH
with the above mentioned fitting with its own shut off u are good to use RV. however, if u wish u can try to clean the slot the blade slides to close to opening. I use a # 14 stripped copper wire bent with a small 90 degree end. working it up and down each side of the slides to remove anything in the groove. I then dab DOW # 111 along and inside both grooves. Also, a little #111 on the exposed shaft. This should allow the slide to move very easily. Might have to push a little hard to get the shaft and blade off their binding spot. Once a year maintenance and excellent results.
pff
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The Airstream factory made a repair to our black tank valve last year. Rather than drop the entire belly pan they simply cut about a 16" X 16" section out of the pan to access the valve.

After the repair was made the technician used a slightly larger piece of sheet metal - maybe 18" X 18" - and attached the new "cover" to the original belly pan with sheet metal screws.

There may be better ways to access the valves but this seemed like a reasonable solution to me.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You can buy a fitting that will fit on the end of your dump pipe that has it's own shut-off valve and even a hose fitting for back flushing the tank. It will allow you to fill the tank and let it soak to see if you can free the valve. If not, the valve will need to be replaced, but the flush fitting is still a good tool for backflushing when traveling.
I would try this solution before cutting shopping repairing. You may need a Thetford to Valterra adaptor for your sewer line then a valve with Valterra fitting. Valterra hoses and fittings are a lot easier to find that Thetford. Attach the valve then partially fill the tank with water and a cleaning solution then go drive around. The problem might cure itself. It will at least be usable for the short term with the outside valve in place.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Black tank valve stuck

My valve stuck half open. I used the flush fitting others have talked about poured in about a half cup of Murphy's oil soap then filled tank about half way.
Let it sit six hrs then slowly pulled on the valve handle back and forth small amounts until in worked loose. Has worked fine since. Best of Luck.