Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Big thanks to North Dallas RV

I just got my Safari back from Randy and it looks great! Thank you everyone for your recommendations. They were very professional, courteous, knowledgeable, and skillful. As you all know, it makes your heart hurt a little when something happens to your stream. I just wanted to let everyone here know that you can trust Randy at North Dallas RV. A little backstory:

I backed my Airstream into my house, basically damaging 4 panels. It crunched three panels above the rear window and one corner panel. From the recommendation of the forum, I dragged it up to North Dallas RV at the end of November. The work was actually completed before Christmas...super fast!

So, $7000 insurance dollars and a long day in the truck, my baby is sittin' sweet in my driveway. Thanks again.
dannyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo View Post
I just got my Safari back from Randy and it looks great! Thank you everyone for your recommendations. They were very professional, courteous, knowledgeable, and skillful. As you all know, it makes your heart hurt a little when something happens to your stream. I just wanted to let everyone here know that you can trust Randy at <a href="http://www.northdallasrv.com">North Dallas RV</a>. A little backstory:

I backed my Airstream into my house, basically damaging 4 panels. It crunched three panels above the rear window and one corner panel. From the recommendation of the forum, I dragged it up to <a href="http://www.northdallasrv.com">North Dallas RV</a> at the end of November. The work was actually completed before Christmas...super fast!

So, $7000 insurance dollars and a long day in the truck, my baby is sittin' sweet in my driveway. Thanks again.
Contrary to the Dallas RV web site, Airstream sold all of it's 58 to 63, and 64 to 68 segments to us, along with hundreds of other parts, and many molds.

This sale took place some 15 years ago.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
dannyo, I recall your previous posts on this. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Sure thing canoe. Sometimes I wish I had taken pics of the damage, but that would have forever burned it into my history. I like it a lot better now! Really though, they did an awesome job. Andy, I can't vouch for the validity of that statement, but maybe they got something similar. You know, with how honest corporations are nowadays, Airstream probably made the same deal with multiple repair facilities.

By the way, canoe, what do you paddle?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo View Post
Sure thing canoe. Sometimes I wish I had taken pics of the damage, but that would have forever burned it into my history. I like it a lot better now! Really though, they did an awesome job. Andy, I can't vouch for the validity of that statement, but maybe they got something similar. You know, with how honest corporations are nowadays, Airstream probably made the same deal with multiple repair facilities.

By the way, canoe, what do you paddle?
Way back then, Airstream disposed of two huge batches of old and older parts.

We purchased the older parts. (Oldest)

Camper Repair Center, in Alabama, bought the older parts. (Newer)

We continue to be the # 1 Parts and Service center for Airstream, once again, for the entire 2008 years, as per Airstream.

Andy
Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo
... Andy, I can't vouch for the validity of that statement, but maybe they got something similar. ...
My hero, markdoane, outlined an alternate method of forming curved panels in this post.

Andy seems to think he's the only source of vintage replacement skins. Mark is trying to expose the truth...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Another option is C&G Trailer in Bellflower, California www.CGTrailer.com. They bought out the Airstream factory parts inventory in the late 1970's when Airstream left California. They have a huge inventory of parts.

They also have a plaque on their wall given them by Airstream a couple of years back for Excellence in Parts and Service. It was the first time a Service Center was ever recognized at their dealer show.

Aren't we lucky to have so many choices.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
My hero, markdoane, outlined an alternate method of forming curved panels in this post.
Great Tom -- I'd forgotten about that one. We need a repository for the most clever posts 'round these parts. I'm not going off topic because this brings me to ask which service centers reinstall smoke?

[on edit: dannyo, I've got an old Grumman 17' under the deck but for the last 10 years our favorite conveyance is an 18' Wenonah Sundowner -- 42 pounds. That particular model is no longer being made but it's a moderately high volume kevlar laker, no rocker. I carry it on top of my truck cap secured with a wide gate carabiner so that it doesn't slide back the 6" into the Airstream and give me cause to patronize North Dallas RV!

I'm known to rent Royalex for rocky rivers. And sea kayaked the Apostle Islands once this last summer -- rentals again. Accessorizing the Airstream takes all my storage space. ]
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21 View Post
Another option is C&G Trailer in Bellflower, California www.CGTrailer.com. They bought out the Airstream factory parts inventory in the late 1970's when Airstream left California. They have a huge inventory of parts.

They also have a plaque on their wall given them by Airstream a couple of years back for Excellence in Parts and Service. It was the first time a Service Center was ever recognized at their dealer show.

Aren't we lucky to have so many choices.
So there are three places that we know of that each purchased the entire inventory of old Airstream parts? sounds like somebody's math is off a bit.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
So there are three places that we know of that each purchased the entire inventory of old Airstream parts? sounds like somebody's math is off a bit.
Hey, somebody in Illinois, who's state motto is "Vote early and often" is questioning math skills?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'm glad that you had good service from North Dallas. They did a partial polish job on our rig, and we were satisfied with the work. Much, much less can be said about the job they did for major bucks on our rear-end sag.

Lynn
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Nope.

When the California plant closed, the parts went with Bob Devine, to the operation he opened in Corona. That changed hands when Beatrice Foods, cancelled Bob Devine. RVS company then took over. When RVS failed in 1984, the parts remaining was sold to C & G.

C & G has never purchase a "clean house" of parts from Ohio.

From there, post # 5 applies.

So that leaves only two sales made by the Ohio plant.

But a correction is in order for the # 5 post. Camper Repair Center bought the old parts, not the oldest parts.

Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Canoe, that Wenonah is a sweet boat. I use a Mohawk Solo 13. It's a great little boat for me. I use it to fish Texas water from clear Hill Country streams to the flats of the Laguna Madre. It weighs 38 pounds, paddles great and is really stable. I used to fish from sit-on-top kayaks (still have a few for the lake), but gave them up when I realized I could paddle just as fast, sit or stand with great stability, and toss that canoe around with ease (35lbs. compared to 50-60lbs.). No single boat does it all, which is why I choose to have 4.