Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Question Big disappointment - NEED ADVICE

Hey you guys, we were off to some fun upgrades to our 1991 25ft Excella until this morning, we found water damage and do not know where it is coming from and what we might be up against, will any of you please give your advice on what to do and what you think might be causing the water getting into the trailer?

We pulled up our carpeting up front and found that the pad and plywood flooring next to the fridge wall was wet and probably rotting (soft to step on). We then noticed wet areas in a few places around the front where the couch goes (took that out and dropped it off today to an upholsterer to have all re-covered).

I have some pictures below showing what we found, I can't figure out where the water is coming from, my best guess is that the seals on the roof (around vents, etc) might be letting it in. We do not see any water dripping from the ceiling, around windows, AC or roof vent/fans. We live in Utah and have had rain and snow, today it is sunny and most snow on the trailer has completely melted. I want to take the rear twin beds out just to see if there might be water coming in back there but the front end is as far as I have gotten so far.

My thought is to take the trailer to our local Airstream dealer and have them look at it to see if they can determine the cause and potential repairs (I think the subfloor under the fridge is probably bad) Does anyone know if insurance covers something like this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge Wall - Water Damage 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	74882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Along Wall 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	74883  

Name:	Water Leaking by Battery 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	74884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water leaking by wall 1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	74885  

Old 01-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
On my '97 Excella the skylight leaked where the screws broke out the holes in the skylight body. That would be where I would start looking for problems on yours.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Finding Water Leaks

The easiest and quickest way to find the source of your leaks is a system that pumps air into your airstream after a soapy solution is applied on the exterior. Some dealers have this equipment. If you need more information, one of our forum members, Soldiermedic, has this equipment and sometimes performs these tests at rallys such as the one coming up in Branson in April. You may want to send him a PM and ask him about it. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
The easiest and quickest way to find the source of your leaks is a system that pumps air into your airstream after a soapy solution is applied on the exterior. Some dealers have this equipment. If you need more information, one of our forum members, Soldiermedic, has this equipment and sometimes performs these tests at rallys such as the one coming up in Branson in April. You may want to send him a PM and ask him about it. Good luck.

Think leaf blower, which is what I used on my boat worked great.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Its just heartbreaking when you find evidence of leakage. It just has to be found before extensive repairs can be made or risk a repeat but thats the trick.. where. I just spent the day on top of my airstream sealing the front half.. tomorrow i will be towards the rear half. Its a big job and there are so many potential leaks you wouldnt believe it. After spending the day up there i am convinced that they all leak! I have already replaced the floor covering throughout and i got lucky. Mine had regular plywood and i see yours has the particle board. Why did airstream ever use particle board. The weight is the same or heavier.. It just love to suck up water. There are lots of threads here to help you DIY so good luck. Check out that roof. I think what you find will surprise you!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
there was a recent thread about a leak coming in the wheel well, all the seals were rotted. A friend with a 97 had a similar problem. Going to check mine this spring.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I noticed the 'particle wood' too, So nows your chance to upgrade to some real good flooring wood,...easier said than done.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
here is the thread i mentioned:
Poor Wheel Well Design story and solution
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ion-47702.html
Old 02-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Again, your unit is at the ripe old age to be inspecting the vent seals..Point in fact, so many leaks can be traced to this. I know that there are other area as well but, when you start to get beyond 5yrs old..Check the vent seals first.
As far as a method for checking for leaks..The best I have ever seen that WORKED. was the use of an ultrasound transmitter placed inside the unit and, an individual walk around the outside with an receiver on a stick to help pinpoint the leak source. If you are in the NE area, I could arrange a checkout.. sometime after WINTER is over..think spring..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.. Another are a inspect is the TV antenna.. we have taken them off both of our Argosys because of leakage... Looking for leaks is like looking for a needle in a haystack..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Check The Lower Rub Rail

Utahgoldrup,
Also check the lower rub rail trim where it meets the body. The lower rub rail trim is the chome strip with the blue plastic insert where the belly wrap comes up and meets the aluminum of the body. If there are any unsealed gaps between the body and this rub rail strip, water will find its way into the trailer and into the particle board.

You have to understand basic Airstream construction. The particle board floor is attached to the frame and then the aluminum body is lowered onto the floor and attached. Then the belly pan and wraps are attached on the outside of the aluminum and particle board. The lower rub rail is attached to cover that union and sealed to prevent leaks into the trailer. I have attached an oversimplified drawig, but you will get the idea.

Do not use silcone to seal any gaps. Use Vulkem or some other Air Forum approved sealer to seal any gaps. It may behove you to remove any old sealant, clean the area, and re-seal the lower rub rail strip.

As for the soft floor spots; if they are not too rotten you may still be able to salvage the floor by using rot doctor or something like Minwax wood hardener. If it is too far gone you may have to remove and scab in new sections. First thing is to get the floor dry, isolate, and seal off any leaks.

We had a few small leaks the same place you do in our '87 and they were resolved by resealing the lower rub rail trim strip. We have been high and dry ever since.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirstreamConstruction.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	74905  
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Elkhorn , Nebraska
Are you in NE? We live in Elkhorn and just purchased our first AS. 1986 31" sov. We are thrilled. It is currently being stored in a barn in IA. I will be bringing her over in the next month or so and would love to have a seasoned streamer take a look at her with me.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8sfamily View Post
Are you in NE? We live in Elkhorn and just purchased our first AS. 1986 31" sov. We are thrilled. It is currently being stored in a barn in IA. I will be bringing her over in the next month or so and would love to have a seasoned streamer take a look at her with me.
I'm guessing you asking me..Sorry, when I said..NE, I meant New England
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Smile Thank you - Very Good Information

The information you have all shared is very good, and you don't know how much I appreciate it, I can't stop thinking about what to do and how to get it done, your ideas, experience, etc. has made me feel much much better, I hope I can lend the same help to someone else in the future.

I wanted to mention a couple of things, unfortunately, I live in Utah so I am not close to the New England area or I would take 53flyingcloud up on having the trailer looked at with the ultrasound transmitter set up, that would be a great way to figure this out.

Also, we keep our trailer in an RV storage facility, out in the open so it is hard to work on anything outside in the cold and sometimes snowy weather... wish I had a big heated garage w/power!!!

Great ideas about checking the vents, etc. on the roof, I have a feeling that could be the source of the excessive water damage by the refrigerator wall, the trailer has been sitting since we winterized it in October so the water coming in is just from rain, snow, etc. The water leaks around the front end of the trailer in just a few places make me thing what DEITZ645 said regarding the lower rub rail trim could be the culprit (much thanks for the explanation and diagram - makes a lot of sense) and I'll bet when I go back down this evening to the trailer, I'll see that we need to seal that up.

vlamica - did you have to remove any old sealant before re-sealing on top of your trailer? Did you address any of the areas where the seams meet on the skin or just all of the vents, around AC, etc? What type of sealer did you use?

The TV antenna was replaced recently by the PO to a more modern one which you see on the newer Airstreams so I don't know if we could have a leak there, hopefully they sealed it good but will have to check that too when checking everything else on top, thanks "Happycampers".

With our situation in not having a dry/warm space to work on the trailer, we will try and get the trailer down to the local Airstream dealer this week to see what they can do with regard to sealing things up (I hate to have to rely on them and think the experience of doing this myself would be much more valuable and save $$ - but don't want to wait for warmer weather to have this done). I did ask before if anyone knew if insurance would help in this situation (the water damage part) but I guess that is subjective with too many variables (type of insurance, specific insurance company, age and value of trailer, etc).

We are certainly determined to be out camping and enjoying our Airstream this year, again, thanks for all of your input; Airforums is invaluable I think it is such a unique community, thank GOD for you guys!!