Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Getting Things Fixed...

After trying to weigh the pros and cons on how to go about getting things taken care of and fixed before the camping season begins... we decided to take the trailer in to our local AS dealership. Found out today that the roof seals were not the cause of the water damage, while we are going to have something resealed on top (for preventative maintenance) our water lines had some leaks. The dealership pressurized the system and determined this to be the cause of the water damage under the fridge area. We are waiting for insurance to let us know if they will cover this repair (dealership sent them a bid) which will include removing the fridge and the cabinetry around it and then replacing a section of flooring... hopefully they cover it but we told them to go ahead and start the repairs with or without insurance.

Some of the water lines will be replaced and we will also have the rub strip down around the bottom of the trailer sealed. I think just before camping season starts, I will do some sealing/re-sealing around windows, skins, etc, where-ever it looks like it might be needed.

I hope the seal around the wheel well did not cause the leaking but hopefully when the fridge/cabinetry, damaged flooring is removed, they look at that to make sure it may have not been the cause as someone else has mentioned happened to them.

Once the repairs are completed... I think we can start again on the interior remodeling we had planned, things are looking up and I really appreciate every ones comments and encouragement. If we had better weather and I had more time, tools, and a good area to work in, we would probably tackle the job ourselves and save some money, but for now, this is the best decision for us.

Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Sometimes its just easier to have it taken care of. Dont feel bad about your decision. There will be plenty of other things you can do (and will do) to save money. Hopefully the insurance company sends you a big fat check!

Happy Camping! Its almost spring time..

2014 Intl 23' FB
1959 Tradewind 24'
2011 Dodge Dually Crew
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
See our post re: quality control and poor wheel well design... You should not have any problems at all on a trailer that new... Question for you... Did they use particle board on the floor?
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Hey Pepsi - It doesn't look like I have any issues with the wheel wells in my trailer, it is an area however I will keep an eye on.

The floor was replaced with OSB (oriented stress board), same stuff that was already in there. The dealership did a very good job, they had to pull the fridge/microwave and cabinet those are in to get at the floor and put a new piece in, they also replaced the floor underneath the toilet.

Since this work has been done, we used an ozone machine for about 24 hours straight (these are very effective) to get rid of smells, etc. We are moving on to some other interior updates, it feels like we are back on track!!!
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I had a leak by the door in my 2004 Classic that I bought used last year. I took the unit to Ohio and had Airstream check it out. they found a rivet in the roof was the cause of the leak. that is one reason I am somewhat disappointed in Airstream - I thought they checked the housing for leaks prior to building the trailer.
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1970 18' Caravel
1995 30' Excella
Mulino , Oregon
Leaking rivets

After many years with Airstreams, this can and does happen. Drives you nuts finding the source as often the water tracks down the ribs to a location far removed from the offending rivet. Sometimes when a rivet is not well set (or even when they appear OK), it can develop a leak after thermal (exposure to the outdoor environment), and stress loads from operational (IE mileage) events; just like aircraft.

A pressurized leak check using soap is what I had Jackson Center perform for me on my Excella, and it found 3 weepers that we fixed 2 years ago. No problems since then.

wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote