Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Better Than Stock A/S Mods.

Is it possible to make an Airstream "better than stock"?

If so, what are some of your favorite mods?

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Progressive Dynamics PD4655 4 stage converter/charger to replace stock Parallax unit.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600...placement.html

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Owners of new Airstreams will install solar, inverter/chargers, more batteries or lithium batteries, monitor panels for the solar and inverters, rip out the fridge and install marine type fridges and stoves, replace the floor covering, the list goes on. Older Airstream owners, well the sky is the limit to how far they go. All it takes is money.

Kelvin
Old 05-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Simple stuff for us. Better slides for the pantry and a back so stuff does not fall off and wedge. Better slides for the drawer under the sofa and some additional strips under the floor so the drawer will carry a lot of weight. Vinyl plank floor instead of the carpeting was probably the best addition. Have not done the converter yet but it is on the short list. And for me buying a generator was a good addition.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Absolutely possible. First place is a better converter/charger unit (as noted above). A decent electrical system (at least for me) was the first place I started. Granted, I did the whole deal with 6 solar panels, a 30AMP Magnum Inverter and 4 big 6V Lifeline batteries. I think ALL the Airstream products have a higher need for more substantial 12V service. I'm also a wild believer in 16" rims and the Michelin LT tires. If I had to prioritize, I'd do the safety stuff first (starting with wheels/tires). ALL the running gear actually. Then I'd go to electrical, and other "make it more comfy" kinds of upgrades. I have intentionally NOT kept track of how much I've spent on upgrades!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

One of the only real 'better' than stock was the AGM's and IOTA converter.

The 'upgrades' consisted mostly of re-doing things that were already done...noted when I did my own PDI.

A before and after photo of one such example. Black tank vent...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	262771  
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maxim skylights has to be right up there on the list!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
For me one of the better than stock changes was pex plumbing with BRASS fittings.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
16" wheels and Michelins, replaced the two fantastic fans with MaxxAir fans, rearview camera.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
uh...Michelin LTX/MS2 with the Sendel T03s , Centramatics, McGuard nuts, Dill metal valve stems.

After that I'm going to go with a flooring upgrade, not sure what but I don't think it would be hard to beat the stock vinyl flooring.

Those are the upgrades to stock, I think the rest would be "customizations"

Shower head would be an upgrade
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Right, Ted S. I left off the Dill TPMS.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After our first trip, we had a carpenter who had done some work on our house make book/magazine racks for the rear...custom crafted to fit the spaces, stained to match the interior and installed.

Maggi
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yes, I believe you can definitely make an airstream better than stock

List of some of our bigger mods: (photos via link)

Exterior...

2x GoPower! 155 watt solar panels + 2 GoPower! 80watt panels for a total of 470 watts
6ga solar wireing
Installed Victorianox edition swiss alps vinyl decal on the front windows
Sendel 16" wheels and Michelin LTX tires
Added beltline trim
Dropped in new group 27 batteries in existing battery box (had to grind off the threaded rod - tight but they fit!)
Replaced rear license plate holder as it was rusting
Replaced exterior Rub rail insert due to discoloring- lower rub rail and upper belt line trim
Stainless steel water heater cover
Stainless steel furnace exhaust cover

Interior...

GoPower! 30 AMP Charge controller with float
New seating / dinette area bench with underneath storage and aluminum wrap
New (wider) dinette table top custom laminated to match the Airstream “Wenge” interior
Custom cushions that are an exact fit for the bed – flat surface now with no gaps – nice rubber backing so they don’t slip (note that Timeless had an incredible selection of materials to choose from)
Installed 2 X New lifeline AGM batteries
Installed new 3-stage Progressive Dynamics 55w converter with float function to replace the standard Parallax 7355
Swapped out LED lighting throughout the interior (pucks and cabinets / bathroom + exterior door lamp)
Cut down the old wenge tabletop and made shelves to convert a wardrobe closet into a (far more useable) panty
Corian counter tops in tally and Lav
Plyboo bamboo hardwood flooring (solid tongue & grove hardwood - glued & stapled)
Replaced Bathroom faucet with new Moen fixture
Replaced Shower valve / fixture with new Moen Fixture
re-consttruced the pull-out couch to make it deeper / wider - eliminated storage bin behind couch and custom fabricated new backrest cushion(s) - retained pull-out bed capability
Modified storage nook on right of couch - added 2 nooks for shoes, iPads, etc..
New couch cushions in ultra leather
New custom curtains
re-mount existing sinks (sally / lav) - under-mount style, with corian sink cover to match in the galley.
Integrated (hardwired) Go-Power 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter hardware into 110v system (all 110 outlets in the airstream are powered by the inverter with the exception of the Fridge, Microwave and AC...
Inverter remote on/off switch by Solar controller tucked away in upper cabinet
Re-wire shower overhead light so that it works independent of the galley light (tapped 12v vent fan for non-switched 12v power)
Added opaque glass window to bathroom door
Replaced old stove with new Dometic CU-434, integrate with cabinetry and counter top.
Wi-Fi Ranger Sky and Go2 WiFi LAN/WAN setup
Wilson 4G signal booster - external antenna and internal hard wired Verizon 4G LTE jetpack with Apple iPhone hotspot backup
28" Samsung LED TV W/Apple TV in lounge
24" Samsung LED TV W/Roku TV in Bedroom
Newer style foldable table leg from Airstream
Oxygenics shower head
IKEA towel rack in shower

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...ml#post1785967
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Plexiglass Inserts for the screen-door so you can see out in cooler weather. Door Lifts/shocks to hold up the doors that open up. Try-Metric Battery Monitor System. A two drawer, 1 door storage addition instead of the cushion under the TV(see photo). Stainless Steel doors/covers for the Water Heater, Furnace, External Shower, Cook stove vent, and waterfall door. A Safe. Rear Awning. Street Side Awning. Rear Bike Rack. Backup-camera system. LP Tank Lock. Solar Upgrade. Higher Quality Mattress. And all the other things listed above!! Just like a boat, an Airstream can be a place where you can put all your money!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766a.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	262787  
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Replaced every 120Vac outlet with Hubbell commercial 20 amp GFI outlets, replaced every plastic catch with brass T and ball catches, added 120Vac outlets as necessary for future convenience both inside and outside, added front power inlet with automatic transfer switch with real contacts in 23D, replace factory wheels and GYM ST tires with Michelin tires and SenDel wheels, replace sky lights with Maxim units, replace Fantastic fans with MaxxFans, replace 6 gallon tank water heaters with Truma AquaGo comfort instant on water heaters, replace stock batteries with a lithium battery sized to complement the solar panels and Magnum inverter/converter, upgrade Classic brakes to disc brakes, upgrade 23D brakes to auto-adjust with Timken bearing with the proper amount of grease, get rid of ammonia based refrigerators for those using freon, install LED bulbs in Classic, install LED reverse lamps, properly wire the circuit breaker panels and upgrade as necessary, seal all the seams and around roof penetrations, fix broken interior shades, cover gaps around pipes and poor wall fitments so stuff does not fall down the gaps to never be seen again, new floor covering replaced failed cheap factory linoleum and upgrade the mattresses to Rocky Mountain Mattress models.

The nice to do upgrades included the Dometic CU434 stoves, WiFi Rangers, Verizion modem antennas and hand made custom curtains in the 23D.

So, our new units are better now than when we got them. I did the PDI that neither dealer did thoroughly or at all.

I think we are done unless we have to upgrade/replace the air conditioners.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
>"Replaced every 120Vac outlet with Hubbell commercial 20 amp GFI outlets,"<

yeah those are really good heavy duty outlets. I have some old Hubbell industrial outlets in my shed at home and they are the bullet-proof. Its interesting how well made electrical parts made in the USA were. They were the 'standard' to be matched. They are hard to find now.
The stronger Levitons are like 10 bucks each now-a-days. That's not a bad idea to upgrade. hope you don't mind if I use that idea.
Have a good one !
Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
On our 31' classic smaller closet,with more drawers and a pantry.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
A second floor loft, with a fitness center and billiard hall.

Just kidding.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So, the mattress went from standard to a "bed in a box" unit. Some tweaking to do.

Interested to hear more about the pex/brass fitting project. Sounds worth the work.

Have a long list of "when there is time and money" projects. Storage boxes for cabinets, better LPG line routing, quiet water pump, converter, slightly better batteries and either temp solar or a small generator - slam dunk if LI-ion were better price or I was smarter. Antisway brake controller and disk brakes when the system is commonly available. Regenerative braking when that system is available to charge the Li-ions.

But the best upgrade, other than the 15in wheels, Centramatics, and Michelin tires, is the experience we get from all the miles and time we spend in close company with Glimmer. And of course, the smiles! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote