Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
You might consider a dustless blasting service. I saw this on the Saturday morning auto repair shows. No mess and they’ll come to your location.

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We sandblasted our frame, and did shell-on, so it is doable. Not especially messy if you use a tarp. Fastest way to clean the frame.

Kay

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Jeffersonville , Kentucky
best way? probably dipping. Then sand or soda blasting.
But for the do it yourself, as the others already covered, wire cup on a grinder.

Notes on POR. The reason it "drys up" it that people dip the brush in the can, paint onto of rust and then dip the brush again.
The rust on the brush starts the container of paint to "start activating"
so pour into cups or small containers and do not cross contaminate.

Also, wear a full paint suit because you WILL get it all over when not paying attention. Also be careful not to track it in on your shoes into the house
Dremel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
POR15 is made to go on over rust, it neutralizes the rust and forms a hard surface. I would use a disc grinder and wire brush to clean off the frame but you don't need to sandblast or get all the rust off. The POR15 needs rust to work.

I like to open the can, give it a stir and pour out as much as I need into a separate container then put the lid back on the can. DO NOT put any leftover POR15 back in the can. Seal up the can tight when you are done.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
So after probably about 20 painstaking hours of grinding with a wire-wheel, I've got my frame nearly cleaned up. As it turns out, the rust is easy to treat. It's the painted areas that are a huge pain, as they take far more time and elbow grease to strip, and I know POR15 is ideally not placed upon old paint. I will also say that if I could go back, I'd probably do sandblasting since there are little nooks and crannies with paint that I was not able to easily reach with a wire-wheel or sanding discs.

One thing I did was place some paint stripper on the painted areas and let it sit before grinding it off. This seemed to speed things up a bit.

I'd also recommend not going with a cheap wire wheel. The first wire cup I used was a Harbor Freight cheapy, which shot wires at a high enough velocity to penetrate my pants and into my legs multiple times. Paid $20 for the Milwaukie braided coarse wire cups and these lasted longer, worked better, and did not shoot any wire whatsoever. Definitely worth paying extra. Took two of the Milwaukie cups to strip the bulk of the trailer frame.

On to degreasing, metal prep, and then POR15.

JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote