Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Best Place for Service in SE Wisconsin

I wasn't sure if this was the best forum to post this in. My wife and I purchased our first Airstream late summer last year, a '65 Globetrotter. We'd like to take it to an RV dealer to have the systems inspected and/or repaired and were hoping to get recommendations from others with Airstreams in our area.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

Jim
grnthumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Jim.

There is a place in or near Milwaukee called Ewalds. I think they just became an AS dealership in the last year or two. I have know idea about their service dept i.e competence and so on.

Worth a try though.

Jonathan
Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I haven't experienced Ewalds either but I have stopped to take a look at their service area etc. They were friendly etc.

My experience has been with (Ace) Fogdall in Cedar Falls Iowa, a long-time Airstream dealer. They have an experienced service staff with Airstreams and come with high recommendations from other forum members that have used them. Depending on what you want done, it might be worth the drive to CFalls.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Ewald

Ewald's have two certified RV mechanics. Service department looks fairly well equipped. The question is "Do you really need an "Airstream mechanic" or would any good RV mechanic do?? Most problems on trailers are with the appliances and they are all the same independ of who made the trailer. There are a bunch of good dealers in the area. Are you near Milwaukee?
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
dehaan rv cntr in elkhorn is an sob dealer, but so far they have been fair to me. if you need specialized service, the folks ive talked to like ace fogdall.... i cant vouch for ace or the as dealer in davenport or the new joint in bolingbrook. good luck.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ditto to Dwight & Norby if you need basic work -- checking close to home may be convenient and effective for some maintenance. Wheel bearings and the appliance components (HW heater, furnace, fridge, water pump) are virtually the same in Airstreams & SOBs.

That being said I must fully agree with hookedonclassic -- so much so that I drove to Fogdalls to do the deal on our Safari. The more you have it the more metal issues you may find. SOB dealers will get aluminitis at some point. Fogdalls is very good on maintenance and particular Airstream issues. You would most probably need a reserved appointment with them.

Forums member Cedars in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls, IA area also has positive things to say about a non-Airstream place with a former Fogdall employee who does great work.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info so far. I guess right now I dont need a place that specializes in Airstreams but would like to find a REPUTABLE rv dealer. We want to have all of the systems checked out...gas lines, electric, water (since we are not sure when this was last done) and if I get a new axle would probably want that done by the dealer as well. I am in the Milwaukee area.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthumbguy
I wasn't sure if this was the best forum to post this in. My wife and I purchased our first Airstream late summer last year, a '65 Globetrotter. We'd like to take it to an RV dealer to have the systems inspected and/or repaired and were hoping to get recommendations from others with Airstreams in our area.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

Jim
Jim.

A good Airstream service department sometimes, comes at a premium.

When you take your trailer to an unknown dealer, they must be able to assure you that they know what they are doing.

A simple test for them is to tell them that I just bought a 1965 Airstream. What repairs might it need?

If they say "whats wrong with it" then I would hook up and head for another dealer.

A dealer that knows the Airstream product, when you tell them the age, etc, will offer suggestions of the things that need replacing because of time, the things that should be checked, like the water system, lpg system, electrical systems, the axle, the brakes and so forth. They will also be able to assist you in obtaining parts that are no longer available from Airstream.

That dealer has then assured you that they know the product, which should be important to you, as the trailer owner.

The only questions then left, would be the quality and cost of the repairs, and the time element for the repairs.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the insight Andy. There is only one Airstream dealer listed for Wisconsin and they are also a car dealership. I dont know how long they have been around but I dont think its been for long. Thats why I was asking for help from anyone who has had good experiences at local dealers. I dont want to be taken to the cleaners but I definitely want to make sure that the gas, electric and water systems are all up to snuff.

I was actually planning on contacting your company for the axle, brakes, shocks, wheels etc. Then I will need to find a dealer to install it all!

Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Like Ewald's...

I'm sure Airstream service is at a premium and that in your case it would often be overkill. That said...

We've used Ewald's for our 2004 trailer and they have been VERY helpful. We recommend them. They have handled Airstream for just over a year now.

We're going to try out Airstream of Chicago this spring for some startup and warranty work. More to follow!

Tom and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthumbguy
Thanks for the insight Andy. There is only one Airstream dealer listed for Wisconsin and they are also a car dealership. I dont know how long they have been around but I dont think its been for long. Thats why I was asking for help from anyone who has had good experiences at local dealers. I dont want to be taken to the cleaners but I definitely want to make sure that the gas, electric and water systems are all up to snuff.

I was actually planning on contacting your company for the axle, brakes, shocks, wheels etc. Then I will need to find a dealer to install it all!

Jim
Jim.

You can install those things yourself. Many others have without any problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Wisconsin area repair?

Again I see reccomendations for Fogdalls in Cedar Falls. All I can tell you is I received such a sloppy repair and service job from them that I was STUNNED! I sent a lengthy, polite letter to them but did not receive a reply of course. Example: To repair a possible roof leak somebody took a can of sealant and made a 5" wide ridge of it all the way across the top. To replace a wood panel next to the toilet (part of installing a new water heater) the screwed in a CUPBOARD DOOR from a cheapie trailer of some kind.
I drove 400 miles for this. I don't get it with all the hype over Fogdalls. Sure no fun in my case! I even sent photos back to management. No response.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
NO NO No No No to Ewalds. If you have an old Airstream they will not want to talk to you. Sure they are friendly and all in fact so much they talked me into doing a PR piece when they first opened. But when I tried to get some work done on Chummy they would not return my calls. When I tried to get new steps in installed on Chummy they would not return my calls. Forget these guys they are arrogant users who talk a good game but do not deliver.
A great service place is Roskopf's in Menomonee Falls. Sure they are an SOB dealer but they are honest, reliable, certified, and good. I brought my 75 Tradewind in there and they did all the check out work. Now they do all the work on Chummy and I am fussy. Tell Frank I sent you in.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
A great service place is Roskopf's in Menomonee Falls. Sure they are an SOB dealer but they are honest, reliable, certified, and good. I brought my 75 Tradewind in there and they did all the check out work. Now they do all the work on Chummy and I am fussy. Tell Frank I sent you in.
Hi Chaplain Kent,

I have not had any service done at Roskopf's, but Griz found me the Reese LD/sway set-up that I needed "real fast." He even threw in a nice ball. I do know that they have been in business for a L-O-N-G time. I'll definately be looking to them first when the time comes.
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Any updates on good service places around Chicagoland or WI?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Any updates on good service places around Chicagoland or WI?
Sorry, I live here, but do ALL my own service and repairs. I have never once used an RV service dept. However, I have heard some good comments about Vacationland RV west of Chicago. Not an AS dealer. They are in Big Rock, IL

I have no personal experience with them.

Vacationland › RV Sales · Service · Parts · Storage in Big Rock Illinois
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Treasure Island , Florida
Airstream axle service

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Hi Chaplain Kent,

I have not had any service done at Roskopf's, but Griz found me the Reese LD/sway set-up that I needed "real fast." He even threw in a nice ball. I do know that they have been in business for a L-O-N-G time. I'll definately be looking to them first when the time comes.

For axle work try brakes and axles they are located near capitol and 124th professional and reasonable
danyfr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyfr67 View Post
For axle work try brakes and axles they are located near capitol and 124th professional and reasonable
Are you referring to Frame and Axle Service Company?
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Treasure Island , Florida
Yes that's what I meant they did a really good job fixing my frame
danyfr67 is offline   Reply With Quote