Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Best place for Fridge Fans

Where is the best place to mount the exhaust fans for a 54" tall 2 door refrigerator? I am installing a fridge with a top freezer where a one door one was in my 77 Argosy. I have 3, 12 volt computer fans and was wondering if it is better to mount them high in the back above the fridge, or on the bottom at the air intake. Do I want them to pull in cool air from the bottom, or push out hot air from the top?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Not sure you need them, as the vent in the floor and out the roof should move the air along.

But if you do put them in, it really doesn't matter where as the compartment for the fridge is tight. If you blow air from the top it will draw cool air in from the bottom the same as if you had them on the bottom. If I was to put a set in a would put them more towards the bottom so as to get all the warm air moving.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
fridge fans

Hello VENTPORT! The best thing that I did to improve the fridge cooling was one that the Dometic tech told me. I also read about this mod on this forum.
The tech said that because the Airstreams have a curved side the refer is in from the side at the bottom, and that allows the cool air entering from the bottom vent to hug the side wall and not pass over the coils.
The tech recomended that I install a baffel just above the upper part of the lower vent door that slands upward and inward and ends about an inch or so from the coils. This baffel then directs the air from the lower vent to pass over the coils.
I did this and it made a world of difference in performance.
Beings you have the refer out the baffel will be easy to install.
Good luck and happy camping nm1oqrz
Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello VENTPORT! The best thing that I did to improve the fridge cooling was one that the Dometic tech told me. I also read about this mod on this forum.
The tech said that because the Airstreams have a curved side the refer is in from the side at the bottom, and that allows the cool air entering from the bottom vent to hug the side wall and not pass over the coils.
The tech recomended that I install a baffel just above the upper part of the lower vent door that slands upward and inward and ends about an inch or so from the coils. This baffel then directs the air from the lower vent to pass over the coils.
I did this and it made a world of difference in performance.
Beings you have the refer out the baffel will be easy to install.
Good luck and happy camping nm1oqrz
Hi, possible you could show us all a photo of your modification? Love the fact that this is an easy fix, and one that doesn't require any power usage.
Thanks, Derek
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Refer cooling

Hello All. I wish I was technically adept at putting pictures on this forum but I'm not. THe baffel I put in was nothing more than a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet that was bent at about a 45 degree angle so that on one side of the angle the piece was about 2" wide and the other was about 12" wide. I don't remember the length but it was slightly more than the outside vent door width.
The 2" side is screwed to the inside of the outside wall just above the vent door opening. The larger part is angled upward and should be cut so that it stops about an inch from the coils. THis will now direct the incoming air onto and through the coils and not allow it to travel up the wall.
With the refer out this will be easy to do but I had to lay on my back with me head and shoulders inside the vent opening to get the miserable thing screwed to the wall.
Hope this helps
Good luck and happy camping. nm1oqrz
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
refer cooling

Hello again. If you do a search on nm1oqrz and go down about half way to find the thread "refer mod helps cooling". In this thread someone posted a drawing of the baffel they were installing and it will give you an idea of how to make your own.
Regards happy camping nm1oqrz
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You're in luck. lewster just posted an update on fridge venting fans a couple of weeks ago: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ml#post1177667
Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Fridge Fan

Here is a photo of my install. Simply a computer fan, in the original mounting, mounted to the forward wall of the fridge compartment. I added the on/off switch and only turn on the fan when it is +90 OAT or greater. Has been installed for several years with no problem. It has been getting a good workout this summer and the fridge is keeping the beer cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	165249  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
I put my fan above the fins of the fridge and have it draw air up from the bottom. I think it is probably more important to close off the curved space behind the fridge so that all the air that is flowing behind the fridge goes over the cooling fins. Here are some pictures of what I did. I had some extra aluminum sheet metal from my belly pan and used it to close off the air space behind the fridge. The other thing I noticed with my older fridge was that it heated up my cabinets. To remedy this, I used Styrofoam and reflextic to insulate the interior compartment from letting the heat build up. It has made a huge difference. I [it a switch in the cabinet above the fridge to turn the fan on and off. I use the fan only when it is above 90 and when I am traveling down the highway. I believe that when the Airstream is traveling down the highway the air does not flow well because of low pressure spots created at the upper and lower openings. I think the fan helps keep the air moving over the fins. Just my opinion.