Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
Best Paint

We have just purchased a 1975 Soveriegn and somewhere along the owner chain the decorative trim and nameplates have been painted black. As far as I can tell they should be blue. Might be some red in there too. Does anyone know the name of the blue paint, what brand to use to restore it and what to use remove the old paint. A lot of its flaking off so I don't thing it will be hard to remove it. I'm pretty sure that metal cleaning pads should not be used. I'd show a picture but I can't figure out how to find my URL for it.

Hamptastic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
When I repainted blue in logo on side I used rust oleum blue, I don't remember what blue but is easy to match. I have inserts in rub rail and middle rail. they are easy to find at suppliers. You might try citi strip but be care full w/all strippers as they take clear coat off fast.

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We had stripped our clear coat off already. Our blue band around the trailer was plastic held on with rivets and mostly gone anyway. I painted it with spray
Rustoleum blue (royal maybe?) after masking it off. The Airstream lettering, I painted with same paint but from a can and with a paintbrush. The logos were masked and sprayed in the red, white, and blue colors, then paint cleaned off the raised letters with paint thinner and Qtips.
If you spray paint your band, mask well and do it on a still day, no wind. Otherwise you may have a blue trailer. After 3 years of wear and tear (she sits outside), I'm seeing a few flakes of blue coming off, so I'll be carefully very lightly sanding those areas to smooth the paint and redoing this summer.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote