Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Mechanic friend of mine has a furnace in his shop that burns the old motor oil he removes on oil changes, and it has ductwork with large fan to circulate it around shop.

2006 23' Safari
2007 F350 Lariat Crew 4X4 PSD
AIR# 21875
WBCCI# 3778
Region 3, Unit 144 (Eastern North Carolina)
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thanks for all the great advice! Clearly there's a lot of options, we'll be doing a bit more research before we settle on anything.

Catson4, those are some great ideas. We just worked with a local HVAC company to get our heatpump replaced, I think we'll talk to them and see if they have any used stuff that might do the trick for the shop.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Thanks for all the great advice! Clearly there's a lot of options, we'll be doing a bit more research before we settle on anything.

Catson4, those are some great ideas. We just worked with a local HVAC company to get our heatpump replaced, I think we'll talk to them and see if they have any used stuff that might do the trick for the shop.
Stefrobrts,

For our 36 x 80 shop I installed one used ($150) electric house furnace. Its installed overhead towards the end where I do most of my work. Here in Arkansas winter temps seldom drop below 30 degrees for long. Normal temps are in the low 30s to mid 40s. Typically the shop will stay in the mid 40s or higher during the day and high 30s at night. I can go down to the shop in the early evening and turn the heat on and within a half hour or so I'm comfortable enough to take my light jacket off and work in shirt sleeves. Used electric furnaces are fairly cheap, easy to install and if you get one that has cooling coils installed then you can buy a used condenser and have A/C for summer months.

May not be the best approach but probably one of the cheapest to implement and not all that costly to operate if you only use it during the periods you're in the shop.

Oh yeah, our shop is a metal pole building with insulation which is typical of most metal pole building construction.

Works for me anyway

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
What ever you buy, if you do get a used one, make sure you have it checked out before installing it, Stef.

That said, my buddy just bought an over head, gas unit, for his 50 x 60 x 12 shop for $100 at a govt' surplus auction. It was brand new, installed, then they realized it was too small for the area it was to heat so it was taken back down and put in a box and sat around for a while. (our government using our tax dollars judiciously).

I only heat the actual area I'm working around so a combo of my small electric catalytic heater and the two halogen work lights keep me quite warm. We don't get quite as cold as you do, but it does get darned cool. I can work in comfort in and around the trailer using this method. I'm only heating while I'm working, be it on the Airstream or the car.

Barry
Old 11-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Is cost an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Thanks for all the great advice! Clearly there's a lot of options, we'll be doing a bit more research before we settle on anything...
Copper wiring is getting expensive.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote