Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
What concerns me is I don't want to replicate the same situation of a friend we have in the car club who was doing a no-no and working on installing a new fuel gauge in the gas tank of his wife's '65 T-Bird in their attached garage. He knocked over a trouble light and poof - then he got the fire out and then something caused it to re-ignite and he was out of extinguisher.

They lost the car and his '56 GMC pickup sitting beside it, a big chunk of his house, his eyebrows, and almost lost the entire house had the fire department not been as prompt as they were.

So I want to make sure whatever I install is going to keep things cooled down long enough for anyone inside to get out and away and then, hopefully, to keep the fire out. If not at least no loss of life which is really the critical issue.

I've learned a lot about fire extinguishers the last day or so, many thanks.

Barry

Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
First your need a shatter proof (rough service) lamp in the trouble light. Good ventilation to prevent fume build up.
I prefer a florescent lamp they come encased in plastic.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hi Michelle

Yes, you are right there. Unfortunately Rick didn't and he should have known better given his job at the time and the training he'd had at work over the years. Personally I do not work on gas related issues in my shop. It's easy enough to do that outside where the risk is less of losing anything. I also use fluorescent trouble lites (they call them trouble lites for a reason ) generally anyways. I prefer the light. I added two very large fire extinguishers to my shop right after Rick's garage fire. But I've done less than I should have with the trailer. Oops.

Take care,
Barry
Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Exclamation Danger - you need a plan

I advise those of you who have no experiance with intense fires to hook up your trailer and go to the nearest fire station and have them go over what can happen and the best way to handle the fire. You need a plan and you need to rehearse the plan ( the old fire drill in school ring a bell?) so there is no question as to what your going to do.

To give you an example: Lets say your are all settled down for a cool nights sleep and you have an electric space heater operating - the heater, for whatever reason, starts a fire. By the time you are aroused and understand whats happening that fire may be well established and may have consummed most the O2 inside the trail. When you open a door or window to exit, The Fire will flare - could be close to an explosion. You need to prepare for that by wrapping up in a blanket or something prior to introducing the O2. Remember, there is no time to come up with a plan while the fire is blazing. Do you know how to operate your emergency exit? Have you tried it? Has everyone in the family tried it? Lets hope you never need to activate your precautions but please - be prepared.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You're right, you do need a plan.
More than that, you also need a smoke detector. If you don't wake up no plan will help you.
The first step in your plan is to get out.
Don't worry about the fire flaring when you open a window or door, just get out. If fire conditions are such that the window makes that much difference, then your smoke detector didn't work and it's too late anyway.
Only after you are out should you make the decision to fight the fire or not. Trailers burn extremely fast! If you have mounted the extinguisher near the exit, then you can use it if the fire is small. Understand that handheld type extinguishers are made for small fires, they aren't effective on larger ones.
Make sure you know where your exits are. Consider doors and all windows. Preplan how you will react if a fire starts in various locations.
We are all attached to our trailers, but none of them are worth getting hurt over, or worse.
Get out first.
Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Fires consume vehicles the size of semi-tractors, cars, and travel trailers in just minutes. It's over. Completely. Have watched all the above, some several times. In most cases it was under 5-minutes that the vehicle was consumed (or the fire was actually already out) as where I observed these had a strong breeze or winds.

Good thread. Was looking for fire extinguisher information this morning (where and how to mount). I especially like the idea of high quality equipment that can be serviced (versus disposables with questionable reliability).

2Airishumans older thread on how to escape the trailer is, philosophically, better yet (and where is that boy?); linked here with other useful f/e links.

Thanks.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Rednax

I'll try to remember to post a photo sometime but I have a larger-than-stock 5 pound dry chemical fire extinguisher in a vehicle/marine mount. Mine is from Buckeye but there are other quality-oriented vendors that make a product that can be tested and recharged. I have it more or less in the stock location. It fits although I had to move the magazine rack a little bit.

The main use of these, of course, is to extinguish a small fire -- cooking, bedding, tires -- before it grows.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's one supplier. I got mine from someplace else but they don't come up in the search results any more:

Buckeye Fire Extinguisher, ABC, 5 Lb., Vehicle - 25614 | Fire Extinguishers | Fire Protection | SustainableSupply.com
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Regarding your question, the important thing is to get a good quality vehicle mount so that the extinguisher will stay in one spot. The wall hooks used for stationary applications, that usually come with the extinguisher, aren't suitable. A location near the door is ideal, of course, so that the extinguisher can be accessed from a place of safety, and also so that it may be brought to bear on fires either inside or outside the trailer.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thank you, Jammer. This is appreciated.

There is probably a handful of threads -- as 2Air started -- that ought to be collected as a sticky on safe evacuation, and not just tools (nor just fire) to be considered.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #25
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
A Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher will come with a mount that will retain the unit in rough seas which should be adequate for our trailers.
I have these in the Tin Pickle, Burning Man mutant vehicles, steam launch and several in our house and shop. Never used one yet, but....

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
As a first-responder, I can tell you that a vehicle fire is next to impossible to put out with any size fire extinguisher. The nooks and crannies that it hides in, the types of materials, fuel and oil... all bad stuff. The fumes from burning plastics are nothing you want to get close to.

For a trailer, get an extinguisher that is going to be primarily for kitchen mishaps... or possibly to slow a fire down enough to get everyone out. I'd put way more effort into prevention... keeping ignition sources out of any living space... proper detectors checked frequently... dust and vibration are killers of smoke detectors. There are some great gas/co/smoke combos out there now... use at least 2.

As for shade-tree mechanics and fuel systems... I've seen some horrible stuff... how about stuck under the front-end in gas soaked coveralls and and ignition. In new vehicles especially, fuel systems remain pressurized and screwing with them if you don't know what is going to happen is bad news.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Friday is correct that a fire of electrical origin, that starts inside the walls or cabinetry, is going to be nearly impossible to extinguish. Such fires are more common than any other RV fire. Not much to do about these except prevention through careful wiring practices during maintenance.

In addition to kitchen mishaps, though, having an extinguisher is also useful for fires outside the traylah that pose a risk to it.

I do my own fuel injection repairs and a certain amount of fuel leakage is inevitable. Proper fuel line bleeding procedures do help a great deal. I keep a 20 pound CO2 extinguisher close at hand while performing such work and have a 20 pound ABC extinguisher next to it for backup. Also have great paranoia about getting gas and oil on my clothes, if it happens I go outside and wait for it to evaporate or change clothes if it's bad enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Northern California , and Oregon
Fire and Life Safety

Notice in Mac's schedule there are no airstream rallies.
I saw his demonstration. Now I want a non-toxic extinguisher. And getting fire safety equipment made for RVs.
Mac's web site is where I would go for information and equipment.

Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote