Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I just changed out my fridge- I found an Igloo 10 cu. ft. on sale for $200, and leapt on it. I was looking at around $1500 for a new Dometic full-size, so I had some change rattling around in my pocket that went into a larger inverter/charger, and a couple of T-105 golf cart batteries. Even adding some serious solar panel action would still leave me money ahead! Check out some of the threads that feature Lewster, a seriously competent guy when it comes to this sort of thing.

Some of my car camping buddies here in S. Florida have been getting into portable air conditioners. If I had it to do my AC replacement over again, I'd have patched up the old AC hole and put in two portables. I plan on throwing away the old heater and putting in a portable AC under the stove top.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Tipp City , Ohio
Hey Suzy,
I to am thinking of an A/C unit other than on the roof. Do you have any info on brand, model, cost?
This,
Streaming24

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaming24 View Post
Hey Suzy,
I to am thinking of an A/C unit other than on the roof. Do you have any info on brand, model, cost?
This,
Streaming24
Haven't gotten there yet... still in the muttering phase. I need to find a small one, as I still have the roof air, and now a 110V-only fridge. Don't want to go over 30A on a hot day!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
I did a spreadsheet for my Sovereign so I could prioritize what had to be done. Most things were $3-500 (water heater, weight dist. hitch, front window rock guard, fresh water tank, stereo).

Some things that cost more were upholstery. I used two IKEA foam twin mattresses I had, and had covers made of vintage 70's fabric found at the vintage swap meet ($5/yd.), drapes ($1300), axles & brakes (about $2000 installed), Atwood AC (taller than I would have liked but it will run on a Honda eu2000i, $800 installed). I found a used awning on here for $250 and had it re-stitched ($200). Large carpet remnant from Home Depot for $125

I didn't touch the 12V, 120V. The plumbing was fine, I put in new cartridges in the galley, shower and bath faucet ($25 each).

Found a set of Alcoa rims and 2 year old tires here in the classified section for $400.

It all added up quickly. I wanted the stock 70's look so I didn't do any customizing. If I did that I think it would have been much more $. If I added up my receipts I probably spent $8-9,000 and a lot of time. New weatherstrip on all the windows and hatches took days. I still have a list of about 15 things I want to do (gray water tank).

You can see I was pretty resourceful with some things.

9 days in Black Rock City and no problems.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks guys for the tips!

Craig - You can run your air conditioner from a Honda eu2000i? I would have thought it would have take a 3000 series. That's good to know. Do you mind me asking how many BTU's your air conditioner is? Also, do people typically install there generators on there trailer tongues near the propane?

I'm also making a list. The expenses will add up quick, so I'll definitely be prioritizing. We had budgeted 10K for the reno, and I realize now I'll probably spend more than that, but some things may have to 'wait' a little longer.

Also, has anyone used an electric, tankless water heater on there RV? I know you'd only be able to use it with a generator, or shore power, but they weigh less and take up less space.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
Atwood says the AC is 13,500 but it puts out equivilant to 16,000. I ran it here in Palm Springs this summer (110+) after it was installed and I was happy with it. It took about 20 minutes for the temps to start dropping. The only thing it doesn't have are drains for the condensate. It will just run down the side. For as little as I plan on running it, that was fine with me. Cheaper than buying another eu2000i too.

My 120V plug is at the back so I didn't install the generator. I just use it when needed and put it in the bed of the truck when I'm done with it.

I wanted to buy the tankless but only the reviews for the Precisiontemp were good and at $1000+ i couldn't justify the cost. I went with the least expensive $350 10 gallon Atwood that you need to light manually. It worked perfectly.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Haven't gotten there yet... still in the muttering phase. I need to find a small one, as I still have the roof air, and now a 110V-only fridge. Don't want to go over 30A on a hot day!

The fridge wont put you over I don't think. My 10cuft fridge only draws about one amp 120V AC.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
More things to do, maybe.

Keep in mind the exterior.

Polishing other than by yourself, which indeed is a huge task, gets to be very very expensive.

By the same token, cleaning up the exterior and then having the trailer "plasticoated, is not cheap either.

Some places charge $ 100.00 per foot.

Or you could have the exterior painted a metallic silver. That runs around $ 100.00 per foot as well.

We quit that service many years ago, basically because of California laws.

However, a person could shop around and try to find a good "paint shop". If you want your Airstream painted, make SUPER SURE that the shop knows how to deal with aluminum. If they use the word "acid" at all in their description, PACK UP AND LEAVE with your trailer in tow.

Andy
Old 10-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks Andy! The good news (I think) is, we have an Argosy, so we'll have to worry about paint, and not polishing.

We are actually going to try to paint it ourselves. I've been reading some threads on this forum, and while it's a lot of work, I think its something we can do.