Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Belt line rail filiform fix?

I have a 2008 25 ft. Safari and live right on the Pacific coast, across the street from a saltwater bay. I have filiform problems that I'm trying to remedy and am seeking advice as to whether to lay out big bucks(to me) for a belt line rail and the necessary cleaning and stripping of the rivets, or to simply keep at it with Corrosion X and waxing. I have stopped the spread of the filiform.
Dealerships want between $600 and $1000 for the repair that mostly is cosmetic. What would the rest of you do? I'm not a bit handy, so fixing it myself is not an option.

Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
HI, I ordered my trailer with the belt line moulding. I have a few tiny spots where corrosion has creeped out, but I have seen quite a few trailers with awful looking corrosion in this area. I would seal it up and cover it up with the belt moulding.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Either direction is a reasonable way to go. For me, I needed to prioritize my trailer improvement wish list. I use Corrison-X on my filiform corrosion and appear to have it reasonably under control. The belt line trim would be nice but is there any reason to believe that the filiform would not eventually crawl out from under the belt line trim? I have filiform creeping from under my tail light frames, stove vent, and airstream emblem.

Good luck in your decision.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Thanks! It seems like both are reasonable alternatives. One I can do myself and is about $985 cheaper than the other. Would it make any difference if I planned to store the AS in Arizona for much of the year and hope to move there soon? If I get the filiform under control, hopefully it won't spread further there, or will it?
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote