Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My project for this weekend is to find where the LP detector is connected and move it downstream from the battery relay so it is shut off when in Store mode. I'm not in the trailers when in storage so why should it be on. I guess if I hit the Store switch and I'm using the trailer but that is rare.

If the trailer is in Store mode and the AS is plugged into shore power then the converter will provide power to the the AC and DC circuits, it won't charge the battery. The Use/Store light will light up so you can't tell if the AS is in Store or Use. You just have to remember or when you pull the plug the light will go off and your fridge will loose power until you put it in Use mode. I've swapped out my OEM converter because it failed and have the Progressive 4655 from Bestconverter so I can keep it on shore power without worrying.

Maybe Classic AS have bigger battery boxes because my Interstate Grp27 seem to fit fine with extra space on top. I might be able to fit 2 six volts batteries but they are so much heavier I don't need anymore weight on my tongue.

Purchase a multimeter so you can measure the batteries at the post and at the converter. You can also use it to test for AC volts if you suspect a campground has bad 30amp service. Mine can also measure amps.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Kelvin, the group 27 and 31 AGMs that I looked at were a bit too long to fit in the moulded plastic holder in the bottom of the battery box in our trailer. The group 24 was 11 inches long, group 27 was 12 1/2", and the group 31 was 13". Height and width of the three groups was the same.

Close, but wouldn't quite go. May have worked if I'd taken out the plastic holder.

No idea whether the Classic has a different battery box from the Flying Cloud.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My project for this weekend is to find where the LP detector is connected and move it downstream from the battery relay so it is shut off when in Store mode....SNIP...
Kelvin
On my trailer the wire is easy to find. I have a front bedroom twin. The use/store relay is in a compartment at the front right, with an access panel that lifts off from above. There is a bit of a rat's nest of wires, but there is only one wire that has an in-line fuse holder on it. That's the one.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
On my trailer the wire is easy to find. I have a front bedroom twin. The use/store relay is in a compartment at the front right, with an access panel that lifts off from above. There is a bit of a rat's nest of wires, but there is only one wire that has an in-line fuse holder on it. That's the one.

In 07 it was an orange wire with an in line fuse holder.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
FYI The Interstate batteries Airstream installs only have a 12 month warranty from the manufacture date stamped on top.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #26
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
You may want to contact the dealer and ask them to replace them at no charge. For the simple reason that sitting on the lot for 6 months probably killed them. Good thing to ask for if you buy a new trailer that has been sitting. Insist on having new batteries installed. And check the date stamp on the batteries for 'freshness'.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Fort Riley , Kansas
Oh my gosh, I am really thankful for all of your great advice and tips!! I really wouldn't know what to do without such a great group of dedicated Airstreamers. I will definitely check the expiration/manufacture dates on the batteries, then I will call Airstream and tell them of my issue with the hopes that they are going to treat me somewhat kindly. If all fails I suppose I check the currents on the batteries as suggested above and it seems to me that an updated converter may be something to look at installing in the future. Does anyone know if this is a simple task or something better done by an experienced technician? I may just have to bite the bullet and buy new batteries if all else fails, although I am nervous that these may fail again too due to some other defect such as a converter issue. Keep the great advice coming, I truly appreciate that!

Dunja
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
You may want to contact the dealer and ask them to replace them at no charge. For the simple reason that sitting on the lot for 6 months probably killed them. Good thing to ask for if you buy a new trailer that has been sitting. Insist on having new batteries installed. And check the date stamp on the batteries for 'freshness'.
After 6 months of adding water to our "new" Interstate batteries in our 2014 ( factory order), we finally got the dealer to replace them with brand new at no charge. We also had them checked at Interstate and at the dealer who both proclaimed them to be operating within specs. 6 Months with our replacement grp24's shows no problems at all. Makes me wonder after reading about other people having the same issues with their new Airstreams that there isn't an issue with the Interstates that Airstream in installing initially.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Fort Riley , Kansas
Hi George,

Thank you so much for coming forward with this and telling me. I am going to call Airstream tomorrow directly, I am half a country away from the dealer I purchased our rig at, do I guess Airstream has to help, hopefully. I will keep you all posted!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Sorry to go off subject a little. Is it just a matter of removing that wire off the post of the battery relay to the opposite post? I haven't removed the cover yet because I don't have a short phillips screwdriver.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkiemand View Post
Hi George,

Thank you so much for coming forward with this and telling me. I am going to call Airstream tomorrow directly, I am half a country away from the dealer I purchased our rig at, do I guess Airstream has to help, hopefully. I will keep you all posted!
Contact your selling dealer by phone; they should still be able to ease the way with the mothership and get you out of this predicament!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkiemand View Post
Then we left and towed to Omaha where we were hooked up to shore power for 3 days and nights.
When connected to shore power, if the switch is left in the store position it will not charge the batteries.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
You need good batteries as large as you can fit( the standard ones are undersized cheapo's).Lifeline is the battery of choice(($475 a pair).You need to get a new converter ($220) as the one that came in your Airstream is substandard and will cook your batteries as you drive.Once you have replaced these things mentioned life will be good.Airstream builds upper scale trailers but uses some bottom end pieces also.Then you will want new Maxum skylights,quieter water pump,Michelin 16's and a new mattress etc.......But this will be a good start
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
It seems that if a company like PowerMax could build a power center with a good converter they could really give Parallex a run for their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
You need to get a new converter ($220) as the one that came in your Airstream is substandard and will cook your batteries as you drive.
Yes, if you're plugged in with a REALLY long extension cord.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Moflash, where are you getting your AGMs?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My project for this weekend is to find where the LP detector is connected and move it downstream from the battery relay so it is shut off when in Store mode. I'm not in the trailers when in storage so why should it be on. I guess if I hit the Store switch and I'm using the trailer but that is rare.

If the trailer is in Store mode and the AS is plugged into shore power then the converter will provide power to the the AC and DC circuits, it won't charge the battery. The Use/Store light will light up so you can't tell if the AS is in Store or Use. You just have to remember or when you pull the plug the light will go off and your fridge will loose power until you put it in Use mode. I've swapped out my OEM converter because it failed and have the Progressive 4655 from Bestconverter so I can keep it on shore power without worrying.

Maybe Classic AS have bigger battery boxes because my Interstate Grp27 seem to fit fine with extra space on top. I might be able to fit 2 six volts batteries but they are so much heavier I don't need anymore weight on my tongue.

Purchase a multimeter so you can measure the batteries at the post and at the converter. You can also use it to test for AC volts if you suspect a campground has bad 30amp service. Mine can also measure amps.

Kelvin
I put a rocker switch on the positive line going to the LP detector, switch off, green LED goes off. That thing is a drain on the battery. I have the same AS like the OP, my LP detector is mounted under the refrigerator on a panel that pops off easily. So even though the Battery switch is set for disconnect/store (center) I switch the LP detector off when the AS is in storage. The LP is off at the tank all the time except when I open the valve on the tank for cooking at campsite. I have a sticker on the top of the tank that says 'Turn on LP detector' .

my project is what you did Kelvin, I want to swap in that Progressive 4655.
It wasn't to bad of a job?

Have a good one !
Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If you have a propane detector, it is typically wired to the battery side of the shutoff switch (at least on my trailer) and therefore draws current all the time. It takes about 1/4 amp.
Al
The newer propane detectors take far less than the older ones, which is good, but they still are a constant draw. Mine in my 2014 takes only 6 mA (0.006 amps) but still older ones took more. I put a switch on mine, so I can shut it off when I want.

On the OP's issue, I have nothing to offer, the information is just too confusing to sort out. Diagnosing electrical issues long distance with minimal information is very difficult in many cases. Sometimes the symptoms are clear cut, but often there can be multiple things going on which combine to cause the problem.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
It seems that if a company like PowerMax could build a power center with a good converter they could really give Parallex a run for their money.
Or you could opt for a Xantrex 3000 - you get what you pay for, in this case a multistage charger and a built-in 3KW pure sine wave inverter/charger.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Or you could opt for a Xantrex 3000 - you get what you pay for, in this case a multistage charger and a built-in 3KW pure sine wave inverter/charger.
Sorry, but I replace about 10 Xantrex inverters annually because they are not field repairable.......and they DO fail regularly. For the same $$$$ you can get an American made inverter/charger from Magnum ( NOT a Chinese made Xantrex) with the best, most complete and programmable charging section in it's class and in the unlikely event that it does fail.....it can be repaired by any Magnum factory authorized service center. I get maybe 1 or 2 Magnum repairs a year.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote