Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Battery Life

We have a 2007 International, purchased new. We remove the Interstate deep-cycle batteries in the winter and put them on a battery tender. The batteries are kept clean and the water level is checked regularly. We're on the road about 3 months a year. We don't boondock a lot.

How long should we expect the batteries to last? I think we're pressing our luck at 6 years.
aircamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
What type of Interstate batteries do you have?
I would be extremely happy to get 5 seasons out of my batteries. I usually get 2-3 years.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Maintaing a full state of charge, as you have done, is the key to long lead-acid battery life...

In my shop, I answer that with proper maintenance, one should get about 4-6 years 'useful' battery life...

The common type deep cycle batteries on the market today will 'sulfate' to some degree over time, even with proper care - As the sulfate on the plates accumulates, the 'capacity' of the battery to run your 12 volt stuff will diminish...

If you notice shortened run times between charges while off the grid, it's probably a good time to replace with new batteries...

You can take your fully charged batteries to a battery shop and ask them to load test them to give you an idea of remaining capacity...
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Yup, this is what happen to me! I ended up purchasing two new deep-marine batteries this past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Maintaing a full state of charge, as you have done, is the key to long lead-acid battery life...

In my shop, I answer that with proper maintenance, one should get about 4-6 years 'useful' battery life...

The common type deep cycle batteries on the market today will 'sulfate' to some degree over time, even with proper care - As the sulfate on the plates accumulates, the 'capacity' of the battery to run your 12 volt stuff will diminish...

If you notice shortened run times between charges while off the grid, it's probably a good time to replace with new batteries...

You can take your fully charged batteries to a battery shop and ask them to load test them to give you an idea of remaining capacity...

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
I'd guess you need new ones. Buy a load tester and you'll always know the story.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
I'd guess you need new ones. Buy a load tester and you'll always know the story.
Harbor Freight has a cheap one.

Amp 6 Volt/12 Volt Battery Load Tester

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Many converters have a desulferinator cycle you use once a mouth (on mine it's automatic). Don't know how much good this is, but in the past I've lost lots of marine deep cycle batts. to not keeping them charged in boats. If this works and extends the life - worth while. I now pay the extra for AGM's - no maintenance and no gas - hopefully they will last longer - the Manf. stated up to ten years if kept charged - will see.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks

Many thanks to all who have offered guidance. I'll get new batteries today and leave on a long trip tomorrow with confidence.
aircamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

I have the Optima AGM batteries

I have had them about 8 years. They are not performing very well anymore. I also own a back up that I neglected. I was researching ways to charge a dead battery, and I found a video made by Optima that suggested dropping the battery on a soft lawn from waste level. The video said that it would loosen the sulfur. THIS SHOULD NOT BE TRIED WITH A LEAD ACID BATTERY. The main message was to daisy chain a good battery with the bad battery to trick the charger into charging the dead one.
One guy stated that charging a battery would de-sufurize it.

Another website seem to think that totally dead batteries could be brought back to life using a Bendini motor. The Bendini motor is really just a de-sulfurizer...I think.
I was looking for answers and I actually am more confused.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
The main message was to daisy chain a good battery with the bad battery to trick the charger into charging the dead one.
That's a good way to trick the charger into FRYING the good one! Not recommended!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

That's a good way to trick the charger into FRYING the good one! Not recommended!
Right... I have used a wire to show voltage then disconnect. Don't leave it connected!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I generally seemed to get about 4 years out of 12 volt deep cycle batteries.
My 2 6 volt exide golf cart batteries however are just starting on year 11.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote