Old 01-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Battery compartment rusted

So...it appears the compartment that holds the two batteries is almost rusted through. My son said he can "weld-up" a new box and install it. I wonder if this is the best route? Is there a fiberglass or hard plastic "box" that might be a better idea? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
Is there a fiberglass or hard plastic "box" that might be a better idea? Thanks for your help.
It's an Airstream. Go for an aluminum battery box! But only if you're using AGM batteries.

But if you're using wet cells rather than AGMs, then look for PVC, UHMW, or Polypropylene plastic battery boxes. They all have excellent resistance to the sulfuric acid found in wet cell batteries.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
So...it appears the compartment that holds the two batteries is almost rusted through. My son said he can "weld-up" a new box and install it. I wonder if this is the best route? Is there a fiberglass or hard plastic "box" that might be a better idea? Thanks for your help.
Well, the problem is the converter, and the fact that you're in Florida. The corrosion is just a symptom.

Here's the deal. In hot weather, batteries are prone to overcharging, and the only way to prevent it is to get a 12v converter/charger that has a temperature sensor that goes in the battery compartment. The converter/charger then reduces the voltage as temperature goes up. When batteries are overcharged, they tend to spill electrolyte out the vents, which is corrosive, and causes the damage you see. In Florida and other places where it gets hot this sort of thing is a real problem, especially if the trailer is left plugged in most of the time.

How to fix it is up to you. You can get a good temperature compensated converter, and then fix the battery box using the material of your choice -- painted steel will last a reasonably long time then. Or you can find or make a noncorrosive plastic battery box that will fit the space and be strong enough to handle a hundred pounds of batteries on a bumpy road, which you may find to be surprisingly difficult.

Or you can just follow your son's advice and weld it up, and figure it will be good for another 5-10 years.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
While you are at this you might consider getting a slightly taller box to accommodate the next size up in batteries. The cost of doing this at this point is trivial and it will give you some added flexibility down the road in case you or the next owner decide to get bigger batteries.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
Same problem on my 2005 Safari. Bottom nearly rusted out of the battery box. Box is welded to the "A" frame. Discovered this when I bought 2 new Interstate deep cycle replacement batteries.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicook View Post
Same problem on my 2005 Safari. Bottom nearly rusted out of the battery box. Box is welded to the "A" frame. Discovered this when I bought 2 new Interstate deep cycle replacement batteries.
So, did you get a replacement anywhere or just make one yourself?