Old 07-21-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Batteries Not Charging

We have been plugged into 30 amp shore power for over 60 hours and the batteries arenít charging. 16 50 amp Classic. Have toggled the battery store/in use button. Any ideas? Thanks.

Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Just guesses.

First, do you know for sure that your pedestal is working correctly? Second, have you checked your circuit breakers and GFCI reset in the trailer? If all that is correct, then you have to look at the charger/converter and or your batteries.

Mike

WBCCI #3960
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Just a wild guess, but batteries maybe junk.

As stated many times here on the forums, the stock converter will boil batteries dry in fairly short order. Not the 60 hours you mentioned, but if the trailer has spent several trips plugged in, the batteries may be toast.

And the other end of the spectrum, if the rig has spent lots of time unused, the batteries will be damaged by running completely dead and staying that way for a period of time.

Average life for a set of batteries seems to be 3-5 years with a little care and feeding, or it can short as a few months with no maintenance.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As with all electrical problems you start at the source and check for voltage through out the system.

Check for AC on the output side of the breakers, 110 volts, in the electrical panel. If good check for AC input to the convertor,110 volts. If god check for DC output from the convertor, 12 volts. If good check for the same voltage on the battery terminals, not the cable ends.

If all check to that point disconnect the negative battery terminals and check the battery voltages separately. Batteries should be equal if in good condition. If not replace them.

Consider having the convertor changed as what Airstream supplies is JUNK and will damage batteries faster than you can replace them.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are counting on some magic converter to do so much better than the modern stock converter that it solves all your problems ..... I have a bridge to sell you. They are not perfect, but they most certainly do *not* cause all the problems people blame on them.

For that matter, replacement converters are far from perfect as well. They do indeed cause problems from time to time. That's not to say they are junk, but they most certainly can have issues.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are counting on some magic converter to do so much better than the modern stock converter that it solves all your problems ..... I have a bridge to sell you. They are not perfect, but they most certainly do *not* cause all the problems people blame on them.

For that matter, replacement converters are far from perfect as well. They do indeed cause problems from time to time. That's not to say they are junk, but they most certainly can have issues.

Bob

Sorry uncle Bob but there is strong evidence that a multi stage convertor is far less apt to boil a battery than a single stage one.

The Chinese World Friendship convertor series currently being used by most trailers manufactures are notorious for boiling batteries if the rig is left plugged in, without a load, for prolong periods.

They are also know for abnormally loud noise as the plates in the transformers start to separate, and clap together, over time. Junk is Junk

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
First, two safety reminders: wear eye protection and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Are the battery cells sufficiently flooded with (distilled) water? I have a 2018, and had both batteries replaced under warranty a little less than a year after initial purchase.

If you end up replacing them, be sure to look at both AGM and lithium upgrade options, and decide if either of those would be a value to you. Recommendations will vary, but if you haven't already, at least familiarize yourself with your options

--Sean
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Sorry uncle Bob but there is strong evidence that a multi stage convertor is far less apt to boil a battery than a single stage one.

The Chinese World Friendship convertor series currently being used by most trailers manufactures are notorious for boiling batteries if the rig is left plugged in, without a load, for prolong periods.

They are also know for abnormally loud noise as the plates in the transformers start to separate, and clap together, over time. Junk is Junk
Hi

..... and surprise !!!! Airstream stopped putting in the converters you are talking about several decades ago. Despite that, every converter in every trailer gets the same "toss it out" ( even if it's a year old) recommendation. The trailer the OP is talking about is a 2016. You are talking about a converter that went into a 1960's trailer ....

Bob
Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hot Springs , Arkansas
As a follow up, we were connected to our TV for 7 hours yesterday and picked up about .6 amps on the batteries. Still not charging on the 50 amp at the park.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndews View Post
As a follow up, we were connected to our TV for 7 hours yesterday and picked up about .6 amps on the batteries. Still not charging on the 50 amp at the park.
Hi

What are you using to monitor the batteries with? Are you looking at the battery voltage? ( = it's 0.6V rather than 0.6A). If it's voltage, what did you start at and what did you finish at? Battery voltage change is *very* dependent on where you start from (and the temperature).

If you are looking at voltage, does the voltage change when shore power is on? If not, the AC breaker to the converter is the first thing to check. Second thing would be the fuses in the output of the converter. (as was mentioned a few posts above).

Bob
Old 07-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I now found out why my batteries are dead. While visiting with a friend with a 2017 27' Airstream I found out my Battery Disconnect Switch is and was not working. When I switched to STORE the light stayed lit and all lights in the trailer were still lit. His turned everything off. The Flying Cloud Owners manual does not state that and therefore, I never knew that the switch was not working.
Also, my thermostat is not working properly, and there is a leak in the water line where the shore water is supplied. All of these items including my 2 dead batteries are covered by the 1 year Airstream warranty. Also in June, I was in Florida parked at my sisters house and forgot to remove the trailer plug form my Jeep. Even though I had it plugged into a 110 shore line it depleted my Jeep battery in 3 days.
So I now, believe there is something wrong with the Parallax Power Converter and the Disconnect Switch.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I now found out why my batteries are dead. While visiting with a friend with a 2017 27' Airstream I found out my Battery Disconnect Switch is and was not working. When I switched to STORE the light stayed lit and all lights in the trailer were still lit. His turned everything off. The Flying Cloud Owners manual does not state that and therefore, I never knew that the switch was not working.
Also, my thermostat is not working properly, and there is a leak in the water line where the shore water is supplied. All of these items including my 2 dead batteries are covered by the 1 year Airstream warranty. Also in June, I was in Florida parked at my sisters house and forgot to remove the trailer plug form my Jeep. Even though I had it plugged into a 110 shore line it depleted my Jeep battery in 3 days.
So I now, believe there is something wrong with the Parallax Power Converter and the Disconnect Switch.
Hi

The use / store switch on the 2017's is not a battery disconnect switch. It simply powers down most of the 12V loads in the trailer. A battery disconnect switch powers down *everything* in the trailer.

In the store position on the use/store the parasitic loads in the trailer will flatten the typical batteries in two weeks or so. With a battery disconnect switch you should be able to go for months in storage without trouble.

On some use / store switches, a cable gets swapped around and the charger / converter does not charge the batteries in one or the other position. The light on the switch does not tell you anything about this. Getting the cable moved over is a simple / 10 minute sort of fix.

Troubleshooting the converter is fairly simple. Pick up a multimeter at the local big box store and take a couple of readings. They will quickly tell you if the converter is working or not. As mentioned above, you need to verify 120V is coming into the converter and that the voltage out of the converter goes up when it is powered on.

Bob
Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Hi Ricky Bobby,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Uncle Bob, How do I know cable gets swapped around and the charger / converter does not charge the batteries in one or the other position. The light on the switch does not tell you anything about this. Getting the cable moved over is a simple / 10 minute sort of fix?

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote