Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Batteries don't work on our new-ish 23D

So we bought our 2014 used 23D a few weeks ago, spent two nights in it with elec. hookups. We then took it out for the day locally about a week ago and the battery power indicator was low. Now, it looks like the batteries won't hold a charge. Obviously we didn't know well enough to check this during the walk through at the dealership and took their word for it that the batteries were in good condition.

So, what can we do now? Should we even bother contacting the dealer about the batteries being that it was being sold as a used unit? Or, do we just need to eat it and buy new ones?

Also, thinking of installing a 200w flexible solar panels ourselves. If we have to replace the batteries, I'm trying to convince the hubby to just get lithium batteries that would save us the hassle of making sure we don't kill the batteries by doing something stupid (and also for all their other benefits, of course.)
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaT View Post
So we bought our 2014 used 23D a few weeks ago, spent two nights in it with elec. hookups. We then took it out for the day locally about a week ago and the battery power indicator was low. Now, it looks like the batteries won't hold a charge. Obviously we didn't know well enough to check this during the walk through at the dealership and took their word for it that the batteries were in good condition.

So, what can we do now? Should we even bother contacting the dealer about the batteries being that it was being sold as a used unit? Or, do we just need to eat it and buy new ones?

Also, thinking of installing a 200w flexible solar panels ourselves. If we have to replace the batteries, I'm trying to convince the hubby to just get lithium batteries that would save us the hassle of making sure we don't kill the batteries by doing something stupid (and also for all their other benefits, of course.)
Lithium batteries are a great addition to just about any Airstream, but they are not 'plug and play' like a regular lead based battery. They require some extensive wiring and very specific charging voltages. Simply connecting them to your present charging arrangement would be a death sentence for them.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Lewster is "Mr. Sunshine" when talking solar and/or batteries... You will be well off trusting his sage advice.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Yes, we are aware it will take a lot more self-education to see if we can install lithium batteries and solar ourselves. Have been reading through a some threads and am in information overload right now. It's not going to happen very soon so we'll be without battery power for a little while.

But what about the issue of the current batteries and contacting the seller?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Batteries croak... Move on.

Do NOT tow until you replace batteries. You must have for emergency braking!!!

If you are going to install the big solar arrays and fancy batteries "later", buy cheap and smaller capacity batteries... If it will be a year or more, get some good batteries so you can relax about it...

Oh, you may ask Lewster which converter to install so that it will be compatible with solar!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Batteries don't work on our new-ish 23D

Or install a breakaway switch kit which includes a battery. Personally, I'd rather eat the cost of another pair of deep cycles in the meantime. Some times one has to do things twice or more.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you don't have anything in writing stating the batteries were in good condition, or some type of warranty with the trailer, you are pretty much out of luck. Chalk it up to experience. If the batteries aren't kept under a trickle charge over the winter, or if the trailer sits for long periods without use, the batteries will lose charge. In most of the newer trailers, even with the master disconnect turned into the off position, the propane detector is constantly on and is pulling power from the batteries. With the master disconnect turned on, even more power is drawn since many of the appliances in the trailer have components that also draw power even though they are switched off.

The only way to positively remove the power draw is to either disconnect a battery cable or install a switch in the line that will interrupt the power coming from the battery.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thank you! Didn't take the emergency brake situation into consideration.

We're still collecting info on the solar & lithium so don't want to badger Lewster just yet but will probably be asking for his assistance soon. (Right now, not sure about where lithium batteries would need to be installed if they can't go in the existing outside battery compartment as the 23D doesn't have that much extra space inside compared to larger models, I think. I don't understand why they can't go outside).

I guess, we'll have to go out and buy some cheap batteries then today as we were planning on leaving tomorrow on about a three hour drive. The hubby mentioned something about inexpensive batteries at Costco?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Batteries

If these are the Interstate batteries that came with my Airstream, there is a heat stamp in the top of the batteries, made into the plastic. When my batteries needed replacing, the retailer called Interstate to see if the batteries were still under warranty. fortunately, they were. Might be worth a shot to see if yours are also. Don't think the warranty is only to the original purchaser, but might be. Good luck, Mike
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Before you go to all that expense and trouble with upgrades:

1) Batteries could be low on water. Have you checked that??

2) Also; check specific gravity with a hydrometer. You may have a weak cell.

The important thing is to be patient with yourself. There's a lotta maintenance and upkeep required on our silver twinkies.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thanks Mike S. Looks like they were manufactured in Nov 2013 and they only have a 12 mo. warranty. : (
Old 06-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Thank you! Didn't take the emergency brake situation into consideration.

We're still collecting info on the solar & lithium so don't want to badger Lewster just yet but will probably be asking for his assistance soon. (Right now, not sure about where lithium batteries would need to be installed if they can't go in the existing outside battery compartment as the 23D doesn't have that much extra space inside compared to larger models, I think. I don't understand why they can't go outside).

I guess, we'll have to go out and buy some cheap batteries then today as we were planning on leaving tomorrow on about a three hour drive. The hubby mentioned something about inexpensive batteries at Costco?
If you have a Menards in the area you might check them out. Better cost than either Costco or Sams Club in my neck of the woods.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Nope, no Menards over here.

Looks like Costco doesn't make the Kirkland one anymore. They have the same one, the Interstate for $72 and Walmart has one, EverStart Marine Battery, Group Size 24MS, for $61.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Nope, no Menards over here.

Looks like Costco doesn't make the Kirkland one anymore. They have the same one, the Interstate for $72 and Walmart has one, EverStart Marine Battery, Group Size 24MS, for $61.
Exactly. Now think about this. How long, even considering replacing the $61 battery every 3 years, (I get 5 years out of mine) before the expense starts to approach the cost of lithium batteries? Do lithium batteries last that long? Are they really worth it? As stated above, you must also totally re-configure your charging system. Add that cost in also.
BTW you do not want the marine starting MS battery. You want the marine deep cycle one.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes the deep cycle not the starting battery. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Exactly. Now think about this. How long, even considering replacing the $61 battery every 3 years, (I get 5 years out of mine) before the expense starts to approach the cost of lithium batteries? Do lithium batteries last that long? Are they really worth it? As stated above, you must also totally re-configure your charging system. Add that cost in also.
BTW you do not want the marine starting MS battery. You want the marine deep cycle one.
Thank you Gearhart - my thoughts exactly. We sometimes forget we can OVER think "emergency readiness". Dead batteries - at a rally with no hookups. Unhitch, pull the dead cells, run to town, buy 2 deep cycle ones, plop them in, and smile. Duh.

Paula
Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I went with Interstate Marine grade deep cycle AGM batteries in our new unit. They do not vent and water does not have to be added. A pair of Marine grad AGMs are more expensive than the normal wet cell batteries, but less than Lithium. The charger in your camper should also work fine with AGM batteries. Interstate claims three times the life over flooded batteries for their AGMs. I’ve had good luck with AGM in my motorcycle and truck.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer View Post
I went with Interstate Marine grade deep cycle AGM batteries in our new unit. They do not vent and water does not have to be added. A pair of Marine grad AGMs are more expensive than the normal wet cell batteries, but less than Lithium. The charger in your camper should also work fine with AGM batteries. Interstate claims three times the life over flooded batteries for their AGMs. I’ve had good luck with AGM in my motorcycle and truck.

Actually, the OEM Parallax converter with its constant voltage charging will ruin an AGM battery in short order. ALL lead based batteries, and especially AGM types require 3 stage charging at specific voltages determined by the battery manufacturer.

A steady 13.6 VDC from your P/lax WILL either under charge or overcharge any lead acid battery.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Lew or others,
I understand from prior threads that there is at least one nearly exact replacement 3-stage converter to replace the Parallax single stage converter used in current 30Amp Airstreams. I have a 50amp unit - is there an available upgrade that a non-expert can install for 50amp configurations, or is it more complicated than that? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Best,
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
My vintage trailer has little in the way of parasite drag so the folks with newer rigs might give better advice that me. Having said that, I am 5 years into an Optima AGM battery that is kept charged with an Intellipower converter. It has not to date shown any sign of weakness. I know it is charged every time I hook up because I operate the tongue jack on battery to be sure. The AGM batteries never require water and you don't have to worry about acid splashing out if you hit a bad patch of road. They are pretty rugged batteries and mine seem to charge fairly quickly, though I seldom run them completely down.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote