Old 09-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Asheville , North Carolina
Bathroom cabinet removal to access plumbing: help!

Hey Folks,
An itty bitty leak in the rear of my 1972 Overlander has slowly culminated over a year into a big problem (i know, i know). The big problem has me now needing to replace plumbing and put in new flooring due to water damage. The point at which I need to replace is very difficult to reach (back left corner of trailer) so I'm considering dismantling part of the bathroom wall to access the plumbing. I'll be taking out the copper pipes and putting in pex...and really don't fancy doing a whole lot of acrobatics to make this tough job even more challenging. Can you please recommend strategies for taking out this wall between toilet and sink? I'm hoping I wouldn't have to dismantle everything just to get at the small section I'm trying to access.The plumbing I am trying to access is just behind the bathroom vent pictured near floor where hose is coming out of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160902_165355379.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	270799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160902_165433660.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	270800  

badabing1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
My '71 bath differs some, but the only way to remove the pieces you show probably requires starting at the trim line at the back of the sink and, rivet by rivet, taking out the sink/counter piece. This does involve plumbing work at the faucet. This removal and replacement is tedious but not difficult.

Knowing the tendencies of this era of trailer, you likely have much more damage under the rear components than you have shown. Exterior water intrusion from the bumper area to the subfloor with the resulting floor/frame rot is almost universal. Taking down at least part of the rear belly pan or close inspection of the floor where it goes under the rear corner wall will usually reveal the damage. Have you checked for rear-end separation? Since you have the floor work and removal to do anyway, it's best to do it all now rather than having to dismantle or redo later.

Keep us updated,

TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote