Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Lehi , Utah
bath room removal

my first post! surly not my last, I have a million questions. We are the proud new owners of a 1969 Overlander. I think she has a bit of rear end sag, and certainly the bathroom needs a makeover. I think I need to remove the fixtures and I would like to know where to start.

Thanks for your help

Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the forums!

I hate to break it to you, but in order to get the bathrom out without cutting it up into little pieces, everything between it an the door must come out first. When Airstreams are made, they start in the back and work their way out the door - so unless you take things installed later out first, you will run into problems & hidden rivets. The good news is, they are pretty simple to disassemble.

You may want to search some older threads using 'sag' & 'separation' as keywords to find folks who have gone there before you....their posts will be most helpful.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
bath removal

I have a 68 Trade Wind. Removed the rear bath last week. It is not hard, but you must think things through before you start. I spend twice as much time thinking it through than actually doing the work. One those things that the 2nd time to do the job would be 4 times quicker. Good screwdrivers ( I mean with sharp bits don't slip) and good drill bits are a must. Avery tool company, they specialize in aircraft tools, has a drill attachment just for drilling out pop rivets. Might be helpful. Also a good place to get Clecos to help with reassembly. I wasted a lot of time NOT taking out closets and walls first only to have to do that anyway. It also opens up all the drains and plumbing so it is the only way to go. Take your time, and DON"T force anything, it will all come out without breaking if you are careful. Also, remember, there is always one rivet you miss, so don't force stuff, find the one last screw or rivet and it will come out with not problem.

Bruce
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Lehi , Utah
Thanks for the replies! Even bad news can be helpful. Any way, my learning curve is steep indeed, and the bathroom is coming out. Is there any practical place to start? does the wall need to come out? I plan to place a tool order to Avery any suggestions?

Shari, Bruce, thanks again for the replies.

Clay
Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I started with the cabinets between my stove and bath. The frame and then the partitions with the pocket door. I did not take out the water heater cabinet. This opened up the whole area and after that, the sink, tub and then the trim around the tub. The tub had to come out first before the surround. You will see as you go along. Take your time. Also, be careful with the trim pieces (the ones with the snap on cover that goes around the tub and the sink. I have not been able to find replacement although have heard it is available. If anyone know where please let us know.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'm starting mine in a week on a 68 ambassador. The good news: not much is staying as I want to redo it all. and I did start at the front so it should come out all right. But everyone is right. Take your time and think things through twice and don't force anything.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Lehi , Utah
I work at a University and have access to a wonderful wood shop during the academic year which starts in September so I was thinking of taking the cabinets out then. I guess if it is easier and faster to remove them now then that is what i should do. I guess my question is; would it be easier to tear out the interior to get to the bath, fix that problem, put it back together for summer camping, and then start in the fall with removal and replacement of the cabinets?

Thanks,
Clay
Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Clay, I gutted our 69 bathroom, I just started drilling our rivets and took a million photos and did a tape recorder as I went along. (When I put it back together I figured I would need the tape recorder but I didn't) I removed both closets, toilet, tub, sink, all the surround and linen closet. I would call my husband when I needed him to come and cut the plumbing and carry out the heavy stuff. You will remove tons and tons of rivets, have lots drill batteries of bits. Hubby cut the floor out, we used it for a pattern to cut a new one. Our black tanks holding pan was totally rotted and we had to have a new one made and put in a new black tank and hotwater tank while we were at it. It is scarrie when you have all those bathroom pieces setting out in the yard wondering if you will figure out how to put them back to gather. Take lots of photos and notes. Email me if I can answer any questions for you.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
You may want to take down the belly pan in the back just far enough to get a good look at the frame, black tank and floor parimeter. That will give you a good idea of the repair order and extent. If there's a serious problem you want to know befor you start.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Lehi , Utah
the floor pan is a good Idea. I can see from the back that the waste tank bracket is toast and I really need to see more. CJ did you start at the wall inside the bath room or in the bed room. I have a rear bath.

Thanks,
Clay
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #11

1969 31' Sovereign
McGraw , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ of Okla View Post
Clay, I gutted our 69 bathroom, I just started drilling our rivets and took a million photos and did a tape recorder as I went along. (When I put it back together I figured I would need the tape recorder but I didn't) I removed both closets, toilet, tub, sink, all the surround and linen closet. I would call my husband when I needed him to come and cut the plumbing and carry out the heavy stuff. You will remove tons and tons of rivets, have lots drill batteries of bits. Hubby cut the floor out, we used it for a pattern to cut a new one. Our black tanks holding pan was totally rotted and we had to have a new one made and put in a new black tank and hotwater tank while we were at it. It is scarrie when you have all those bathroom pieces setting out in the yard wondering if you will figure out how to put them back to gather. Take lots of photos and notes. Email me if I can answer any questions for you.
Hey my 69 sovereign's bathroom is all over the driveway right now. Rotten plywood Did you have any frame sag or repair to do? I have some rusted out frame.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Greetings, fellow demolition technologists. I'm at the bathroom end of a total disembowelment on a 1970 Overlander. What holds the bathroom ceiling/one piece plastic cap up? If I remove the tub, vanity and toilet surround, will the ceiling piece stay put? In addition to lots of pictures, I'm also labeling the pieces with blue painters tape and a sharpie, so I'll have a better idea of where they came from and how they go back together three months from now.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstream View Post
Greetings, fellow demolition technologists. I'm at the bathroom end of a total disembowelment on a 1970 Overlander. What holds the bathroom ceiling/one piece plastic cap up? If I remove the tub, vanity and toilet surround, will the ceiling piece stay put? In addition to lots of pictures, I'm also labeling the pieces with blue painters tape and a sharpie, so I'll have a better idea of where they came from and how they go back together three months from now.
Rivets, rivets and more rivets, hold the rear headliner in place. It's held in place separately from the other components.

Andy
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I need to add what Andy said, MORE RIVETS. I was taking mine out yesterday. Have a couple of dents high up on the back and have to get to them from the back. If I didn't have the big dents, I would not have taken mine out.